Old 07-09-2015, 04:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

Default Butterflied short ribs, Korean style

The key here is learning to undo the short ribs, butterflying them out
into a long strip with the bone residing at one end.

I prefer mine then threaded on a flat skewer for ease of handling on the
grille.

Needless to say, if you have wood chunks, even some mesquite will marry
nicely with the sesame flavor.

Best bet is to marinate for 24 hrs. So much flavor.

http://www.npr.org/2011/06/28/137473...eef-short-ribs

The nuttiness that comes from sesame seeds and sesame oil is one of the
distinguishing characteristics of Korean barbecue, says expert Steven
Raichlen. Serve with kimchi, mung bean sprout salad and other Korean
accompaniments purchased at an Asian market. This recipe is adapted from
Raichlen's book Planet Barbecue (Workman Publishing 2010).

Korean Kalbi (Butterflied Sesame-Grilled Beef Short Ribs)i
Michele Kayal for NPR
Makes 4 servings

1 small Asian pear, peeled and seeded, or 1/2 cup pear nectar

3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped, plus 8 cloves garlic, peeled and
skewered on toothpicks

1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled fresh ginger

1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds, plus 1 tablespoon for garnish

2 tablespoons brown sugar

2 teaspoons coarse salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 teaspoon Asian (dark) sesame oil

2 pounds beef short ribs, butterflied and cut into 2-inch lengths

1 bunch scallions, white and green parts, trimmed

1 head romaine lettuce, washed and separated into individual leaves

Kochujang (Korean chili paste), Sriracha or other hot pepper paste

To eat the kalbi, spread a lettuce leaf with the chili paste. Place
beef, garlic and scallion on the leaf. Roll it up and eat.

Old 07-09-2015, 06:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

Shalako wrote in rec.food.cooking:

The key here is learning to undo the short ribs, butterflying them
out into a long strip with the bone residing at one end.

I prefer mine then threaded on a flat skewer for ease of handling on
the grille.

Needless to say, if you have wood chunks, even some mesquite will
marry nicely with the sesame flavor.

Best bet is to marinate for 24 hrs. So much flavor.

http://www.npr.org/2011/06/28/137473...terflied-sesam
e-grilled-beef-short-ribs

[...]

Isn't it more Vietnamese to roll in lettuce?

Old 07-09-2015, 06:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

On 9/7/2015 11:17 AM, cshenk wrote:
[...]

A good catch, they certainly are well known for it, but the Koreans like
to as well.

Using the gojuchang paste in the lettuce is uniquely Korean though, and
it really offers a nice warm contrast to the cool lettuce.

These short ribs can also be eaten alongside a nice serving of rice -
sushi style is my choice.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

http://www.npr.org/2011/06/28/137473...-butterflied-s
[...]

Ah ok! I assume above the bone is removed. I am not sure if i have
tried gojuchang sauce. I have had many a meal on Pusan (busan) but we
generally went fairly vegetarian there so that may not have been
applied.

Not all were vegetarian though and tea smoked chicken over your own
table brasier is excellent!

Carol

Old 07-09-2015, 08:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

On 9/7/2015 12:44 PM, cshenk wrote:
[...]

Yes indeed, tea-smoking is very cool.

I love going to Korean joints because it's just so much fun to cook at
your own little grill and experiment with sauces and condiments.

The Korean red pepper paste is so smooth and well-rounded in flavor.
Heat without being too hot is how I put it.

Koreans are grille-masters.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

On 9/7/2015 12:44 PM, cshenk wrote:
These short ribs can also be eaten alongside a nice serving of rice -
sushi style is my choice.

Ah ok! I assume above the bone is removed.

Here's a really nice photo tutorial on the subject:

http://www.afoodstory.com.au/2011/07...office-sydney/

And there's no reason you have to leave the bone on, go with what feels
right. Those very short boneless pieces done over a table brazier are
just as authentic.

Personally I think the friend lotus and mizuna leaves look divine.

In fact as I've never had mizuna I'll now be on the lookout for it.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

http://www.npr.org/2011/06/28/137473...albi-butterfli
[...]

I only have experience with them in actual Korea. I have no clue if
they have any in my local area but i think it's time to check!

Carol

Old 08-09-2015, 07:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

On 9/7/2015 5:39 AM, Shalako wrote:
[...]

The recipe looks tasty but the lack of shoyu gives me some concern. I've
never heard of such a thing. My mother-in-law cut the short ribs so the
bone was in the middle with two flaps coming off the sides. It was the
darnedest thing I ever seen, not to mention that I always thought short
ribs were only suitable for braising.

I'm making braised short ribs. I'm braising in a liquid of Korean chili
pepper powder, gochujang, sugar, vinegar. It looks like a tomato based
sauce but it's not. Thanks Korean pepper!
Old 08-09-2015, 04:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

dsi1 wrote:
[...]

Greta catch, I wondered about that too.

I've
never heard of such a thing. My mother-in-law cut the short ribs so the
bone was in the middle with two flaps coming off the sides. It was the
darnedest thing I ever seen, not to mention that I always thought short
ribs were only suitable for braising.

That sounds like a pretty cut, but yes the ribs are perfect grilled when
opened up like this.

I'm making braised short ribs. I'm braising in a liquid of Korean chili
pepper powder, gochujang, sugar, vinegar. It looks like a tomato based
sauce but it's not. Thanks Korean pepper!

Yeah that would really hit the spot!