Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

Default Unique green chile jerky

Here's a really off the track recipe for green chile jerky.

I would not have considered using fish sauce, but...well...why the heck not!

http://www.bowhunting.net/susieq/jerky.htm

This Recipe was sent to me by Rob Collins
Jerky Recipe
I'm making this with venison, elk, antelope and pheasant right now, my
proportions are total guess, my seasons are eyeballed.
4 peppers - Anaheim, Habanera, Thai, Black.

Dehydrate the following Use Pam on the trays first:
3 trays of Anaheim green chili, (I used X-Hot) roasted, peeled and split.
1 tray of fresh habanera chilies*
1 whole garlic
When dry, grind each separately in a coffee grinder, put in empty
seasoning jars.

Slice meat when partially frozen, layer in a Tupperware or casserole dish
Make marinade of the following:
1 cup soy sauce*
1/4 cup fish sauce*
1/2 cup wine (rice*, red, white, whatever...)
2tsp Sambal Oelek* or other Thai Chili sauce* (Sri Racha* is a little
fine for my taste, but will work)
2tsp Liquid Smoke
other additional pepper sauce as you see fit, I like Tabasco Habanera ~
1 tsp

Marinade meat; make sure it's saturated, ~ 1 day, longer if you do
thicker slices
When on rack of dehydrator or 170 degree oven, put on a good coat of
PICKLING SALT **
Then add ground dried green chili (heavy coat) habanera (be careful!!)
garlic (heavy) and coarse fresh ground black pepper. I season both sides.

* - Asian market
** - canning section of grocery store

This is yummy and is hot enough (understatement) that you won't scarf a
whole batch in a flash. Experience is the best guide to how much to put
on. My advice: heavy on everything EXCEPT the habanera. Don't go too
nuts on the fish sauce, but realize it's an ingredient in Worcestershire
sauce, so it's not as weird as it sounds. Another option is to slather
milder green chili and fresh minced garlic on. Also ridiculously good
especially on antelope.