Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

Default Box fan home jerky

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...jerky/?slide=1

Make Your Own DIY Box-Fan Beef Jerky

Step 1
As any meat-lover will readily agree to, one of the most unsettling
things about the 21st century is the fact that a few ounces of beef
jerky€”easily the greatest foodstuff of all time€”can cost as much as six
or seven dollars. If youre like us, that just wont do.

Instead, using a method adapted from the great jerky enthusiast Alton
Brown, well walk you through how to create pounds of stunningly good
beef jerky at a mere fraction of the market price. Youll need only some
beef, a few marinating ingredients, a box fan, and a couple of cellulose
air-filters that you can buy at any hardware store.

Before we start: You should know that beef jerky is not only absurdly
easy to make, but its also one of the few ways to prepare uncooked meat
thats safe to eat. Like smoking or salting, letting thin strips dry out
actually preserves and sterilizes meat. The reason is simple: Most
meat-eating microbes need water, and making jerky involves little more
than removing all the moisture from beef. Properly prepared and stored,
uncooked beef jerky will stay preserved for years.

Depending on what cut of meat you use, your jerky can vary dramatically
in flavor. Youre going to want to pick a very lean cut of beef (resist
the knee-jerk reaction to find a well marbled hunk of meat) that can be
cut in thin strips along the grain. Here, Im using 4.5 lbs of top-round
steak.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

Default Box fan home jerky poison

"La Mirada" wrote in message ...

>Make Your Own DIY Box-Fan Beef Jerky

>Step 1

<clip>

You're going to poison people with that ridiculous amateur
bacteria factory.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

On 6/8/2015 1:05 PM, Pecos Sam wrote:

> "La Mirada" wrote in message ...
>

>> Make Your Own DIY Box-Fan Beef Jerky

>> Step 1

> <clip>
>
> You're going to poison people with that ridiculous amateur bacteria
> factory.

You're going to have to take that up with Popular Mechanics.

I think it's no more nor less problematic than making carne seca on a
rooftop.

http://tourist2townie.com/featured/m...nts-in-tucson/

The waitress sold me on the Carne Seca Plate that everyone raves about.
They dry, seasoned Angus beef on the roof for hours before shredding and
serving it warm tortillas, rice and beans. To me, it just tasted like
well-seasoned beef jerky. It was dry but flavorful and the tortillas
were delicious. I asked for a side of Mole to juice it up a bit.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

On 6/8/2015 8:42 AM, La Mirada wrote:
> http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...jerky/?slide=1
>

> Make Your Own DIY Box-Fan Beef Jerky
>
> Step 1
> As any meat-lover will readily agree to, one of the most unsettling
> things about the 21st century is the fact that a few ounces of beef
> jerky€”easily the greatest foodstuff of all time€”can cost as much as six
> or seven dollars. If youre like us, that just wont do.
>
> Instead, using a method adapted from the great jerky enthusiast Alton
> Brown, well walk you through how to create pounds of stunningly good
> beef jerky at a mere fraction of the market price. Youll need only some
> beef, a few marinating ingredients, a box fan, and a couple of cellulose
> air-filters that you can buy at any hardware store.
>
> Before we start: You should know that beef jerky is not only absurdly
> easy to make, but its also one of the few ways to prepare uncooked meat
> thats safe to eat. Like smoking or salting, letting thin strips dry out
> actually preserves and sterilizes meat. The reason is simple: Most
> meat-eating microbes need water, and making jerky involves little more
> than removing all the moisture from beef. Properly prepared and stored,
> uncooked beef jerky will stay preserved for years.
>
> Depending on what cut of meat you use, your jerky can vary dramatically
> in flavor. Youre going to want to pick a very lean cut of beef (resist
> the knee-jerk reaction to find a well marbled hunk of meat) that can be
> cut in thin strips along the grain. Here, Im using 4.5 lbs of top-round
> steak.

I used to make jerky when I was a kid. The easiest thing to do is use
salt as a preservative and black pepper for taste. Later on, I'd soak
the meat in teriyaki sauce. If I were to make it today, I'd use Korean
pepper powder, sesame oil, and gochujang. Now that would be some jerky!
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

On 6/8/2015 2:45 PM, La Mirada wrote:
> "Pecos Sam" > Wrote in message:
>>

>> "La Mirada" wrote in message ...
>>

>>> Make Your Own DIY Box-Fan Beef Jerky

>>> Step 1

>> <clip>
>>
>> You're going to poison people with that ridiculous amateur
>> bacteria factory.
>>

> I guess I should have warned people to try this at their own risk.
> thanks for pointing that out. Making jerky is fun but honestly I
> don't eat much of my own stuff. it's pretty scary. in fact I knew
> it before I eat it.

PiaoHong.Usenet.Client.VIP:1.65

Fraud.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

On 6/8/2015 2:47 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 6/8/2015 8:42 AM, La Mirada wrote:
>> http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...jerky/?slide=1
>>

>> Make Your Own DIY Box-Fan Beef Jerky
>>
>> Step 1
>> As any meat-lover will readily agree to, one of the most unsettling
>> things about the 21st century is the fact that a few ounces of beef
>> jerky€”easily the greatest foodstuff of all time€”can cost as much as six
>> or seven dollars. If youre like us, that just wont do.
>>
>> Instead, using a method adapted from the great jerky enthusiast Alton
>> Brown, well walk you through how to create pounds of stunningly good
>> beef jerky at a mere fraction of the market price. Youll need only some
>> beef, a few marinating ingredients, a box fan, and a couple of cellulose
>> air-filters that you can buy at any hardware store.
>>
>> Before we start: You should know that beef jerky is not only absurdly
>> easy to make, but its also one of the few ways to prepare uncooked meat
>> thats safe to eat. Like smoking or salting, letting thin strips dry out
>> actually preserves and sterilizes meat. The reason is simple: Most
>> meat-eating microbes need water, and making jerky involves little more
>> than removing all the moisture from beef. Properly prepared and stored,
>> uncooked beef jerky will stay preserved for years.
>>
>> Depending on what cut of meat you use, your jerky can vary dramatically
>> in flavor. Youre going to want to pick a very lean cut of beef (resist
>> the knee-jerk reaction to find a well marbled hunk of meat) that can be
>> cut in thin strips along the grain. Here, Im using 4.5 lbs of top-round
>> steak.

> I used to make jerky when I was a kid. The easiest thing to do is use
> salt as a preservative and black pepper for taste. Later on, I'd soak
> the meat in teriyaki sauce. If I were to make it today, I'd use Korean
> pepper powder, sesame oil, and gochujang. Now that would be some jerky!

Right on, that's the recipe I'm working from too.

I'd use Asian pears on the grater if there was regular availability, but
the applesauce mimics well.