Posted to alt.food.barbecue,rec.food.cooking

Default Big Daddy's _real_ BBQ souce!

Not that sweet tomato paste sickly sweet KC glop - this is real Carolina
style BBQ souce, something to be used sparingly as a savory compliment
to proper dry rubbed ribs!

http://southern.food.com/recipe/big-...e-sauce-120492

1 cup prepared yellow mustard
12 cup sugar
14 cup light brown sugar
34 cup cider vinegar
14 cup water
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 -2 teaspoon black pepper
14 teaspoon cayenne
12 teaspoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons butter (a healthier choice use 2 tablespoons canola oil)
1 tablespoon liquid smoke (hickory flavoring)

Mix all except soy, butter and smoke. Simmer 30 minutes. Stir in
remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 more minutes. Vinegar taste may
be very strong until completely cooled. Refrigerating overnight is best
and allows flavors to blend.
Add a few drops of Louisiana Hot Sauce at the end if additional heat is
desired.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 01 May 2015 16:06:01 -0600, "W. Lohman" > wrote:

>Not that sweet tomato paste sickly sweet KC glop - this is real Carolina
>style BBQ souce, something to be used sparingly as a savory compliment
>to proper dry rubbed ribs!
>

>http://southern.food.com/recipe/big-...e-sauce-120492
>
>1 cup prepared yellow mustard
>1?2 cup sugar
>1?4 cup light brown sugar
>3?4 cup cider vinegar
>1?4 cup water
>2 tablespoons chili powder
>1 -2 teaspoon black pepper
>1?4 teaspoon cayenne
>1?2 teaspoon soy sauce
>2 tablespoons butter (a healthier choice use 2 tablespoons canola oil)
>1 tablespoon liquid smoke (hickory flavoring)
>
>Mix all except soy, butter and smoke. Simmer 30 minutes. Stir in
>remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 more minutes. Vinegar taste may
>be very strong until completely cooled. Refrigerating overnight is best
>and allows flavors to blend.
>Add a few drops of Louisiana Hot Sauce at the end if additional heat is
>desired.

Ok, I tried it. My guests liked it.

Some notes:

First, I'd hate to try "sweet tomato paste sickly sweet KC glop" because this
already has *plenty* of sugar. I think it's too sweet, way too sweet -- but
that's easy to fix. And the sugary sauce tended to stick to the bottom of the
pot when cooking. Oh, and I left out the liquid smoke.

Second -- what's the "chili powder"? A lot of recipes call for this, and
sometimes it means "the dried, pulverized fruit of one or more varieties of
chili pepper", and sometimes it means "mostly cumin and some other spices but no
heat".

And there I was, with a little time to spare, and tossed together this sauce. I
had just added a first heaping tablespoonful of red chili flakes, which looked
like plenty for the amount of sauce. I read on, and thought, "oh, rats, that
meant the cumin stuff" because there is this 1/4 teaspoon cayenne further down,
and "cayenne" pretty much describes what I'd just added.

But it was OK, because here, a few drops of Louisiana in over a cupful of sauce
doesn't add any heat...

Thomas Prufer
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,rec.food.cooking

On 5/3/2015 2:52 AM, Thomas Prufer wrote:
> On Fri, 01 May 2015 16:06:01 -0600, "W. Lohman" > wrote:
>
>> Not that sweet tomato paste sickly sweet KC glop - this is real Carolina
>> style BBQ souce, something to be used sparingly as a savory compliment
>> to proper dry rubbed ribs!
>>

>> http://southern.food.com/recipe/big-...e-sauce-120492
>>
>> 1 cup prepared yellow mustard
>> 1?2 cup sugar
>> 1?4 cup light brown sugar
>> 3?4 cup cider vinegar
>> 1?4 cup water
>> 2 tablespoons chili powder
>> 1 -2 teaspoon black pepper
>> 1?4 teaspoon cayenne
>> 1?2 teaspoon soy sauce
>> 2 tablespoons butter (a healthier choice use 2 tablespoons canola oil)
>> 1 tablespoon liquid smoke (hickory flavoring)
>>
>> Mix all except soy, butter and smoke. Simmer 30 minutes. Stir in
>> remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 more minutes. Vinegar taste may
>> be very strong until completely cooled. Refrigerating overnight is best
>> and allows flavors to blend.
>> Add a few drops of Louisiana Hot Sauce at the end if additional heat is
>> desired.

> Ok, I tried it. My guests liked it.

Awesome!

> Some notes:
>
> First, I'd hate to try "sweet tomato paste sickly sweet KC glop" because this
> already has *plenty* of sugar. I think it's too sweet, way too sweet -- but
> that's easy to fix. And the sugary sauce tended to stick to the bottom of the
> pot when cooking. Oh, and I left out the liquid smoke.

Others felt it was overkill too.

> Second -- what's the "chili powder"? A lot of recipes call for this, and
> sometimes it means "the dried, pulverized fruit of one or more varieties of
> chili pepper", and sometimes it means "mostly cumin and some other spices but no
> heat".

I use any good quality chili powder from the Mexican spices section of
my grocery store.

My preferences there change, sometimes it's guajillo, other times just
basic red.

> And there I was, with a little time to spare, and tossed together this sauce. I
> had just added a first heaping tablespoonful of red chili flakes, which looked
> like plenty for the amount of sauce. I read on, and thought, "oh, rats, that
> meant the cumin stuff" because there is this 1/4 teaspoon cayenne further down,
> and "cayenne" pretty much describes what I'd just added.

It's cool to play around and see how it works.

I have added a small can of pineapple juice to this before and found it
rounds the flavor out nicely.

> But it was OK, because here, a few drops of Louisiana in over a cupful of sauce
> doesn't add any heat...
>

> Thomas Prufer

Good deal, glad you liked it.

I've got another souce recipe that uses some coffee I think I'll post up.