Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Beef Ribs

I'm considering trying my hand at cooking some beef ribs on the 4th.
Anyone have any tricks, tips or info for smoking and not drying them out?
I'm talking the BIG beef ribs and not the short ribs, the ones that make ya
feel like Fred Flintsone when yer eatin 'em
TIA

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 2 Jul 2014 13:56:35 -0500, "ChairMan" >
wrote:

>I'm considering trying my hand at cooking some beef ribs on the 4th.
>Anyone have any tricks, tips or info for smoking and not drying them out?
>I'm talking the BIG beef ribs and not the short ribs, the ones that make ya
>feel like Fred Flintsone when yer eatin 'em
>TIA

I do them pretty much the same as pork spares. About 250 degrees for
four to five hours.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Jul 2014 13:56:35 -0500, "ChairMan"
> >
> wrote:
>
>> I'm considering trying my hand at cooking some beef ribs
>> on the 4th.
>> Anyone have any tricks, tips or info for smoking and not
>> drying them
>> out? I'm talking the BIG beef ribs and not the short
>> ribs, the ones
>> that make ya feel like Fred Flintsone when yer eatin 'em
>> TIA
>>

> I do them pretty much the same as pork spares. About 250
> degrees for
> four to five hours.

Thanks Ed, wife now just wants to do baby backs.
I'll try 'em next time

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"ChairMan" > wrote in message
> Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>> On Wed, 2 Jul 2014 13:56:35 -0500, "ChairMan" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm considering trying my hand at cooking some beef ribs on the 4th.
>>> Anyone have any tricks, tips or info for smoking and not drying them
>>> out? I'm talking the BIG beef ribs and not the short ribs, the ones
>>> that make ya feel like Fred Flintsone when yer eatin 'em
>>> TIA
>>>

>> I do them pretty much the same as pork spares. About 250 degrees for
>> four to five hours.

> Thanks Ed, wife now just wants to do baby backs.
> I'll try 'em next time

do some of each!

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChairMan[_5_] View Post
I'm considering trying my hand at cooking some beef ribs on the 4th.
Anyone have any tricks, tips or info for smoking and not drying them out?
I'm talking the BIG beef ribs and not the short ribs, the ones that make ya
feel like Fred Flintsone when yer eatin 'em
TIA
Not sure of your geography but if its anything like around here the major obstacle is to find some good beef ribs. The crap they sell in the stores is closer to what the old timers would call soup bones. So let us begin at that point. They need to be at least Choice grade and nobody at the factory trying to knock off all the meat. They apparently run them through machines that can furrow out the meat between the bones. The good ones go to Tokyo..or so they say.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 6-Jul-2014, bigwheel > wrote:

> ;1945803']I'm considering trying my hand at cooking some beef ribs on
> > the 4th.
> > Anyone have any tricks, tips or info for smoking and not drying them
> > out?
> > I'm talking the BIG beef ribs and not the short ribs, the ones that make
> > ya
> > feel like Fred Flintsone when yer eatin 'em
> > TIA

> Not sure of your geography but if its anything like around here the
> major obstacle is to find some good beef ribs. The crap they sell in the
> stores is closer to what the old timers would call soup bones. So let us
> begin at that point. They need to be at least Choice grade and nobody at
> the factory trying to knock off all the meat. They apparently run them
> through machines that can furrow out the meat between the bones. The
> good ones go to Tokyo..or so they say.

The kind of beef ribs I used to do, you cooked them about like you would
regular spares and then served them with a big fistful of paper towels.
Usually, you would end up making a mess of your shirt anyway, but
they sure were good. I put some out for my yard party back in '07. I
think I had spares and beef ribs and sausage. Big Jim cooked up a
slew of hushpuppies and Ginger put out a big platter of Spanikopita.

We redefined "Trailer Trash" in the park that day. Time flies and this
getting old Sux.

Brick said that.

Beef ribs NancyJaye General Cooking 4 17-02-2006 02:47 PM
Beef Ribs The Ranger General Cooking 6 17-05-2005 04:29 PM
Beef Ribs??? Randy Barbecue 39 06-09-2004 01:14 AM
Are beef (back) ribs the same as short ribs? Timothy Sebora Barbecue 1 15-07-2004 03:56 PM
Beef Ribs/Pork Ribs Peter Newman Barbecue 4 04-07-2004 07:47 PM