Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default New to smoking

Just received my first offset smoker. A Char-Broil Silver Smoker. Already have a couple questions.

Is there a need to add a tray or foil at the bottom of the firebox? Concerned about hot coals softening the bottom.

When smoking is it best to use just wood? Or charcoal for the heat and wood to create the desired amount of smoke?

Any other helpful hints along the way most appreciated.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 9-Apr-2014, Jim > wrote:

> Just received my first offset smoker. A Char-Broil Silver Smoker.
> Already have a couple questions.
>
> Is there a need to add a tray or foil at the bottom of the firebox?
> Concerned about hot coals softening the bottom.

I have been using a New Braunfels Silver Smoker since 2003. Agreed,
it is a little heavier then the Char-Broil copy, but I have never seen fit
to protect my firebox with foil or anything else. It remains to be seen if
this machine is durable. I've only had it for eleven years.

> When smoking is it best to use just wood? Or charcoal for the heat and
> wood to create the desired amount of smoke?

I use lump charcoal when I can get it for a decent price and Royal Oak
briquettes otherwise. In any case I use some kind of wood on top of
the charcoal to produce the desired smoke. Having said that; it is
possible to use only wood in the Silver Smoker, but it's a real pain in
the A#$ to tend it. The firebox is just too small to manage a decent fire
over a long period of time. I've done it, but I won't do it again unless I
can't get any better fuel.

> Any other helpful hints along the way most appreciated.

Seal up you smoke chamber as best you can, but don't go nuts over
it. You're going to need some kind of wind break if there's any wind
to speak of. That Char-Broil is really marginal in skin thickness for the
smoker business.

Don't even try to keep your smoke chamber at an even temperature.
Just get a decent fire going, set the draft at about 1" open and forget
it. The temp will drop way down when you put the cold meat in and
rise so slowly, it'll make you crazy. Don't sweat it, your fire is
continuing
to pump heat in there and it will catch up after a beer or three.

Lots of luck getting your Char-Broil to cook at 220 deg. If you insist
on cooking at 220, get a green egg or a Komado or maybe a Weber
Smoky Mountain. I learned to let mine cruise at 270 deg and both of
us got along just fine after that. As far as I can tell, the meat never
knew the difference.

Some people that know, have eaten my 'Q' and nobody gagged.
A few have returned for an encore.

So have at it and good luck.

Brick
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim[_36_] View Post
Just received my first offset smoker. A Char-Broil Silver Smoker. Already have a couple questions.

Is there a need to add a tray or foil at the bottom of the firebox? Concerned about hot coals softening the bottom.

When smoking is it best to use just wood? Or charcoal for the heat and wood to create the desired amount of smoke?

Any other helpful hints along the way most appreciated.
Sounds like you are getting some great advice here. The small offsets work best with choice two. When I used to have mine..found about 3 pounds of charcoal and a couple of wood chunks would make it start perking about right. When the smoke stops add a chunk or two..when the heat drops add some more charcoal. Main thing on those is give it all the air it wants to the fire and all the exhaust you have. So yes you need some variant of a fire grate in there so the fire can get some air to the bottom and as you say it aint good to cook directly on the bottom of the pit. If the heat drops and you dont know why..its probably the fire has built ups dead ashes and is trying to smother itself out..so keep it cleaned out..especially under the grate. So..the easiest solution it give the fire all the air it wants..as in keeping the firebox door standing open about an inch. That worked like a charm on mine. Once the wood dont get enough O2 it goes into a smolder and starts producing creosote..so give it plenty of air. Best of fortunes and holler any old time. Split chickens are a great way to season a new pit.

Go read this from front to back then again back to front. Can knock a bunch of time off the learning curve.
http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/

Last edited by bigwheel : 10-04-2014 at 01:11 AM
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Thanks to everyone who have contributed comments.

How about conditioning/seasoning the smoker? I presume it is best to burn off residues before committing to a first cooking event. Some online postings suggest wiping down both the interior and exterior surfaces with peanut oil first. Is this intended to treat the surfaces like a cast iron skillet seasoning? Should the as shipped metal coating get burned off before or after applying peanut oil?

Obviously a little confusion here.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In ,
Jim > belched:
> Thanks to everyone who have contributed comments.
>
> How about conditioning/seasoning the smoker? I presume it is best to
> burn off residues before committing to a first cooking event. Some
> online postings suggest wiping down both the interior and exterior
> surfaces with peanut oil first. Is this intended to treat the
> surfaces like a cast iron skillet seasoning? Should the as shipped
> metal coating get burned off before or after applying peanut oil?
>
> Obviously a little confusion here.

Yes to all of the above, just take out the grate, fire it up and burn it in.
Happy smoking

smoking GregS Beer 21 14-05-2007 12:20 AM
Smoking Salmo Barbecue 4 13-08-2006 05:50 PM
Sub-Zero Smoking Dennis Spexet Barbecue 7 19-02-2006 03:19 AM
Tea & Smoking Laura General 0 18-11-2003 12:26 PM