Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Vacuum Marinating in FoodSaver-Type Bags - Myth?

On Wed, 02 Apr 2014 21:44:32 -0500, B. Server > wrote:

>I'm going to take a guess that they did not the other half of the
>onion and put into a jar of beet juice for a control sample...

No, they didn't.

They also explained that sucking all the air out of a jar or tupperware
container (special lids with a valve) would make the food last much longer.

(Yeah -- if the got all the oxygen out, and the tupperware would stand up to a
full vacuum needed to do that, and if the jar couldn't implode shooting shrapnel
all over the place, and and and ...)

They did show a marshmallow in a tupperware container, and from the way it
expanded, I wildly handwavingly guess the got about half the air out.

Anyway, I got an ancient food vacuumizer with a special nozzle to suck air out
of ziploc bags at a garage sale for dime. It's a water jet vacuum pump, which is
actually capable of pulling a respectable vacuum, and mechanically simple. I'll
try it one of these days...

Thomas Prufer
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 3 Apr 2014 12:11:55 -0500, Sqwertz > wrote:

>Ziplock bags are permeable and would not be able to hold a vacuum for
>very long.

Yeah, and the seal isn't something I'd trust to be gas-tight either.

But all I use the bag for it to keep the dry rub/juice mix or the marinade close
to the meat, so I can use less. And a squishy bag of meat is easer to stick in
the fridge and cool than a boxy thing. Works fine! (until the bag gets a hole
poked in it by a bit of bone...)

Thomas Prufer

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 3-Apr-2014, Thomas Prufer > wrote:

> >I'm going to take a guess that they did not the other half of the
> >onion and put into a jar of beet juice for a control sample...

> No, they didn't.
>
> They also explained that sucking all the air out of a jar or tupperware
> container (special lids with a valve) would make the food last much
> longer.

Artisan bread lasts practically forever in my VacMaster containers. Alas
they implode after a few months of daily recycling.

> (Yeah -- if the got all the oxygen out, and the tupperware would stand up
> to a
> full vacuum needed to do that, and if the jar couldn't implode shooting
> shrapnel
> all over the place, and and and ...)

I haven't seen any Tupperware or similar type containers that will withstand
atmospheric pressure. None I have seen are strong enough.

> They did show a marshmallow in a tupperware container, and from the way it
> expanded, I wildly handwavingly guess the got about half the air out.
>
> Anyway, I got an ancient food vacuumizer with a special nozzle to suck air
> out
> of ziploc bags at a garage sale for dime. It's a water jet vacuum pump,
> which is
> actually capable of pulling a respectable vacuum, and mechanically simple.
> I'll
> try it one of these days...

Go for it. That should work just fine. I don't think a near perfect vacuum
is
necessary anyway. BTW Harbor Freight has a hand operated vacuum
pump designed to evacuate automotive brake systems. It features a
built-in gauge and comes with a variety of attachments and hoses. It's
less then $40 when (NOT) on sale. I have one. It works great.

> Thomas Prufer

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

For vacuum marinading the Food Saver buckets work better than trying to use the bags. I bought this little gizmo a month or so back and love it to death. It can do some serious marinating and will hold 10-11 pounds of meat of such a size to make it fit in the available space. Works great on small cut items..would not hold a packer brisket.

Amazon.com: Jaccard 4.5 Liter. Speedy Plus Instant Marinater: Patio, Lawn & Garden
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

You can get such bags from Reynolds now. They come with.
a manual pump. I have the pump and a couple of boxes of
the bags. They're a pretty nice product.

Brick

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Agree about the squishy bag. I usually use a bowl under
the bag for security. So much for the convenience of the pliable
bag for storage. But the main result keeping the meat
submerged with a smaller amount of liquid is good.

Brick
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 5-Apr-2014, bigwheel > wrote:

> Amazon.com: Jaccard 4.5 Liter. Speedy Plus Instant Marinater: Patio,
> Lawn & Garden'

> For vacuum marinading the Food Saver buckets work better than trying to
> use the bags. I bought this little gizmo a month or so back and love it
> to death. It can do some serious marinating and will hold 10-11 pounds
> of meat of such a size to make it fit in the available space. Works
> great on small cut items..would not hold a packer brisket.
>
> 'Amazon.com: Jaccard 4.5 Liter. Speedy Plus Instant Marinater: Patio,
> Lawn & Garden' (http://tinyurl.com/ob4ebaz)
>
> --
> bigwheel

I've been looking for something like that. The largest I have are 2.5qt and
they break after a short time if I pull a hard vacuum on them every day.
(VacMaster 2.5qt Marinade Containers)

Thanks, I have ordered a couple of the Jaccard brand containers. I'll
see how they work out.

Brick