Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Homemade Bacon Recipe

All right! I found it! I lost my own copy of this and it's been a couple years since I've made a batch. Just today I finished salting down a couple of butts, and then it occurred to me that I wasn't exactly sure about the curing time. I guessed 5 and 5 and by God I was right!

Btw, I'm the OP for this DIY Bacon Recipe. And, just for the record and bragging rights, this was the first homemade bacon recipe to appear on the web back in 2003. Yeah, waaaay back in the olden days.

The reason I know that to be true is back then I searched the internet high and low for a bacon recipe. I was also making sausage in those days and there wasn't much to be had on that topic either. In addition to the internet, I even checked printed sources (yeah, I know, I was getting desparate) -- smoking/bbq cookbooks, checked with bbq forums, asked old timers....nothing.

The stakes just got a whole lot higher.

Apparently, I reasoned, I was the only person on the planet that was pursuing this lost art and it was up to me to save it from extinction. "Recipe?", my Treasure-of-the-Sierra-Madres subconscious mind sneered. "We don't need no stinkin' recipe!" I retorted! We'll do it the old school way -- the way of our ancestors. Trial and error! Even though "error" could mean death from food poisoining! Imagine being the first one to try a truffle? How many died trying wild mushrooms? And who in the hell had the balls to dive into the ocean, pry an oyster loose, bring it back up and crack it open, and then eat that nasty looking thing inside? Without crackers and cocktail sauce. And no beer? My experiment would be easy in comparison.

THe stakes got even higher, I realized next. If I were successful, I didn't die an agaonizing death via uncontrollable vomiting and the other thing, if I were lucky enough top tease out the secrets of homemade bacon making, not only would it result in the first bacon recipe being posted on the web, it would also be MY ORIGINAL recipe. It would be in effect the mother of all homemade Bacon Recipes to come. It would become the "Lucy" of homemade bacon forever more. Immortalized knowledge.

Isn't that something to consider though? No, not my heriocs, but rather the situation. Just a few generations ago, in the eras of our Great and Great-Great Grandparents, millions of Americans knew how to cure bacon (and make sausage) and did so in their kitchens as their forefathers did and those before them. Curing meat dates back before the Egyptians. And yet here we were, right on the precipice of loosing another culinary heritage.

Not on my watch, by God! I was determined that if I were to unravel this mystery, I would make sure it was never lost to history again. It would be chiseled into the mountain of human knowledge -- written on something even more durable than granite -- digital bits, eternal "1s" and "Zeds." I just through "zed" in to sound cool but don't worry. I shan't use a whilst.

I wish I could say it took months, even years to perfect and weeks of physical recurperation from the edge of death, but actually it was dumb simple easy since Morton's Sugar Cure comes with basic meat curing instructions and a table for calculating cure-to-weight -- got it right with the first trial. Despite all the ballyhoo, my contribution was simply following a hunch and ordering some Sugar Cure.

To be sure, however,I made 2-3 more batches and sure enough they were just as lovely as the first batch of bacon. Tasty, tasty, tasty. So much better than store bought, which is saying alot since store bought is great too! Particularly the thick cut peppered bacon that costs a fortune.

Well you know the rest of the story. I dutifully posted the results of my research in this post and thereby single-handedly revived homemade bacon and preserved the heritage for all eternity.

Today, I'm proud to see that there are....Lord knows how many... hundreds, maybe thousands of homemade bacon recipes on the web. I went out as far as page 20 with the search "Homemade And Bacon" and it was filled with recipes. And they're good lookin' recipes too and have all manner of tweaks and tips. I've decided to change mine for next time after reading a few that included brown sugar to the cure mix @ 1:1 ratio. Sounds good to me.

So there it is folks, the history of modern homemade bacon. And remember, if you love bacon, please help keep the tradition strong. Grap a couple butts and get to makin' bacon, all right? All right....!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> wrote in message
All right! I found it! I lost my own copy of this and it's been a couple
years since I've made a batch. Just today I finished salting down a couple
of butts, and then it occurred to me that I wasn't exactly sure about the
curing time. I guessed 5 and 5 and by God I was right!

Btw, I'm the OP for this DIY Bacon Recipe. And, just for the record and
bragging rights, this was the first homemade bacon recipe to appear on the
web back in 2003. Yeah, waaaay back in the olden days.

-------------
maybe you can still claim to be the guy who makes his bacon with butts. I
use pork belly, like the rest of the world.

or are you making buckboard bacon, Canadian bacon, or something other than
"bacon bacon"?

---

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pico Rico[_2_] View Post
All right! I found it! I lost my own copy of this and it's been a couple
years since I've made a batch. Just today I finished salting down a couple
of butts, and then it occurred to me that I wasn't exactly sure about the
curing time. I guessed 5 and 5 and by God I was right!

Btw, I'm the OP for this DIY Bacon Recipe. And, just for the record and
bragging rights, this was the first homemade bacon recipe to appear on the
web back in 2003. Yeah, waaaay back in the olden days.

maybe you can still claim to be the guy who makes his bacon with butts. I
use pork belly, like the rest of the world.

or are you making buckboard bacon, Canadian bacon, or something other than
"bacon bacon"?

---
AVAST 2014 | Antivirus Gratuit - Télécharger la meilleure protection anti-malware

That's a great idea... we just clean out the meat or fish apply much salt they left to dry for several months, then we use it on food. Do dishes with that or fry it or add in Chinese foods etc.,
Mosquito net for windows from Phifer