Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default thanks for the turkey

ok I know it's old hat but I've got nothing saved about smoking a
turkey. times heat rubs all be appreciated

---

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Charly Horse <no.com> wrote in
:

> ok I know it's old hat but I've got nothing saved about smoking a
> turkey. times heat rubs all be appreciated
>

> ---
> protection is active. http://www.avast.com

oK I'll jump back in
know I am going to brine this turkey so additives to brine?

---

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Search for Fatman's brine. You should get a lot of hits and ideas.

Here's an old post from Piedmont I saved:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!ms...M/qch7GSYXjVgJ

On Monday, November 18, 2013 5:59:17 PM UTC-8, Charly Horse wrote:
> Charly Horse <no.com> wrote in
>
> :
>

> > ok I know it's old hat but I've got nothing saved about smoking a

> > turkey. times heat rubs all be appreciated

> > ---

> > This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus

> > protection is active. http://www.avast.com

> oK I'll jump back in

> know I am going to brine this turkey so additives to brine?
>

> ---

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 11/18/2013 6:41 PM, Charly Horse wrote:
> ok I know it's old hat but I've got nothing saved about smoking a
> turkey. times heat rubs all be appreciated

He

http://www.cookshack.com/store/Poult...-Smoked-Turkey

Ingredients

12 - 14 pound whole turkey
1 pound light brown sugar
2 cups honey
1/2 cup coarse ground black peppercorns
1/2 cup fresh thyme leaves
1/2 pound butter
1 Tablespoon salt
Instructions

Process honey, brown sugar, thyme, and salt in food processor until
smooth. Remove from food processor and add peppercorns. Mix well. Soften
the butter and add 1 cup of glaze mixture to the butter. Combine well.
Spread this evenly on top of breast under skin of turkey.

Place turkey on rack and hot-smoke at 225F until breast temperature is
160F. During first hour of smoking period, glaze outside of turkey with
half of glaze, and then again when half done with the rest of the glaze.

Slice and serve warm as a sandwich meat or as a carved meat with
hors-d'oeuvres.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 11/18/2013 6:59 PM, Charly Horse wrote:
> Charly Horse <no.com> wrote in
> :
>
>> ok I know it's old hat but I've got nothing saved about smoking a
>> turkey. times heat rubs all be appreciated
>>

>> ---
>> protection is active. http://www.avast.com
>>

> oK I'll jump back in
> know I am going to brine this turkey so additives to brine?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

Ingredients
6 quarts tap water
1 pound kosher salt
1 cup molasses
2 cups honey
1 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon dried red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon dried sage
Large bunch fresh thyme
2 heads garlic broken into individual cloves, unpeeled
5 pounds ice cubes
14 to 18-pound turkey, cleaned, innards removed
1 pound unsalted butter, softened
2 lemons, zested
Directions
In a medium pot, bring 3 quarts of the tap water to a boil over medium
heat. Put the kosher salt in a large bowl and slowly (and carefully!)
pour the boiling water over the salt. Stir to blend.

Add the molasses, honey, soy sauce, red pepper flakes, sage, thyme and
garlic to the salt and water mixture. Stir to blend. Add the remaining 3
quarts of cool water. Add the ice to a cooler or bucket large enough to
hold the brine and the turkey. Pour the brine over the ice and use a
large whisk to blend all of the ingredients.

Submerge the turkey, breast side down, in the brine. Make sure the
cavity of the bird fills with the liquid as you are submerging it. Cover
the cooler and allow the bird to sit in the brine overnight or for about
12 hours.

Read more at:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ml?oc=linkback

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 19 Nov 2013 01:41:44 GMT, Charly Horse <no.com> wrote:

> ok I know it's old hat but I've got nothing saved about smoking a
>turkey. times heat rubs all be appreciated

Unlike tough cuts of barbecue, turkey does not need low and slow
cooking. You can smoke it at 300 to 350 degrees, just as you'd cook
in the oven.

As for rubs, no need to get real exotic either. Simple salt, pepper
garlic powder for starters.
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charly Horse[_3_] View Post
ok I know it's old hat but I've got nothing saved about smoking a
turkey. times heat rubs all be appreciated

---
AVAST 2014 | Download Free Antivirus Software for Virus Protection
Dittos to what Ed P. said on the temps. Low and slow is not good for birds. 325-350 is about right. Cook breast down and dont spill the juice which accumlates on the top of the breast inside the cavity. Its done when it reaches 175 in the "THIGH"..do not poke holes in the breast. If the thighs are done the breast is more than plenty done...no need to check it.

Most of the turkeys we get all already brined..pumped..enhanced so there is not much use to re-brine it all over again.

For rub I like Chef Paul Purdhomes Poultry Magic mixed 50/50 with good quality Lemon Pepper. Be sure to rub it over and under the skin.

If you have a non enhanced bird and want to brine try this one.

Bigwheel's Grand Prize Winning Chicken Brine (Rev 1/12/07)
1 cup pickling/canning salt
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup Brer Rabbit Mild Flavored Mollases
1/2 cup Kikomann Soy Sauce
1/4 cup Lea n Perrins Wooster sauce
2 T. black peppa
2 T. bbq rub* (make sure the rub aint got any meat tenderizers in it or it
will cause the skin to bus. If it mention Papain dont use it)
2 T. Granulated Garlic
2 T. Dried chopped onyawn
2 T. Liquid Crab boil (I like Tex-Joy but Zatarains will work also)
2 T. Dry mustard
1 Bay leaf
1/2 t. Mixed Eyetalian spices (oregeno, basil, tarragon, etc).

Mix it up in a gallon glass jug and fill with hot tap water. Screw on the lid and shake it up good. Let it set at room temp for a few days if you have time giving it a shake occasionally. Get it ice cold before using. Makes enough brine for two chickens or one turkey. I brine in double non-deodorized trash bags in the ice box. Apply the rub after brining..no before. Bon Apetit.

bigwheel
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Belated thanks for all the ideas, I got booted from the turkey in
November but I did incorporate some of the ideas for Christmas I cooked it
in 250 range but next time I'm opening up and raising temps I think it
just helped to dry out the breast doing it slow. I shoulda pulled it about
30 mins early.

---

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Belated thanks for all the ideas, I've been lurking and didn't get to do
the T-day turkey But incorporated a lot of the suggestions ideas this
Christmas. Next time I will be opening up vents, I cooked it in the 250
range and I think it just allowed breast meat to dry more, dark meat was
ok, Perhaps I let it stay on a bit longer than it should. i used a very
basic brine salt brown sugar for about 10 hours on a small 12 pound
bird then stuffed with onion apple tangerine. It cooked for 6 hours with
apple chunks for smoke.

---

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 06:09:10 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

> Maybe next time you could provide some context.

KC Luzer-Q:

http://www.nationalbbqrankings.com/ranking/team/4202

Chicken Contests
Contests since 14/Jun/2008
Current rank: 2747th (Updated: 25/Feb/2013)

Ribs Contests
Contests since 23/Apr/2010
Current rank: 818th (Updated: 25/Feb/2013)

Pork Contests
Contests since 24/Apr/2009
Current rank: 2016th (Updated: 25/Feb/2013)

Brisket Contests
Contests since 26/Apr/2008
Current rank: 1315th (Updated: 25/Feb/2013)

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by glancer View Post
On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 06:09:10 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

Maybe next time you could provide some context.

KC Luzer-Q:

National BBQ Rankings

Chicken Contests
Contests since 14/Jun/2008
Current rank: 2747th (Updated: 25/Feb/2013)

Ribs Contests
Contests since 23/Apr/2010
Current rank: 818th (Updated: 25/Feb/2013)

Pork Contests
Contests since 24/Apr/2009
Current rank: 2016th (Updated: 25/Feb/2013)

Brisket Contests
Contests since 26/Apr/2008
Current rank: 1315th (Updated: 25/Feb/2013)
Good job that.