Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default All You Texans (and anyone else who wants to chime in...)

I'm going to be spending a few days in Texas for the the first time in
November, split between Austin and San Antonio. Where do I _absolutely_
have to go for stellar Texas barbeque? Is the Salt Lick worth the hype?

And if you want to recommend any good blues joints at the same time...?

TIA
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Holbrook[_5_] View Post
I'm going to be spending a few days in Texas for the the first time in
November, split between Austin and San Antonio. Where do I _absolutely_
have to go for stellar Texas barbeque? Is the Salt Lick worth the hype?

And if you want to recommend any good blues joints at the same time...?

TIA
Laird's at Llano is supposed to be very good.

Texas BBQ Posse: Road trip to Llano - Laird's vs. Cooper's BBQ challenge
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 04:28:31 -0500, Alan Holbrook wrote:
>
>> I'm going to be spending a few days in Texas for the the
>> first time
>> in November, split between Austin and San Antonio. Where
>> do I
>> _absolutely_ have to go for stellar Texas barbeque? Is
>> the Salt
>> Lick worth the hype?

> All the yuppies would say Franklin's. But that's only if
> you want to
> stand in line for hours on end.
>
> In Austin the current hot spots for BBQ afficianados
> besides Franklin
>
> John Muellers Meat Company (my #1 spot)
> Stiles Switch
> La Barbecue (formerly John Muellers BBQ)
>
> The beef short ribs and brisket are the two most
> worthwhile offerings.
> Sausage next, then pork.
>
> Rudy's and County Line are small chains found in both
> cities and
> actually have some passable BBQ even though they get a bad
> rap by some
> folks. But not as good as the above places. Try these if
> you must
> eat after 4:00pm (I think stiles switch is open all
> day/night,
> though).
>
> Salt Lick is all hype. As are most of the "old time
> favorites" just
> outside of the city (Kreuz, Smitty's, Coopers, etc...)
>
> -sw

what happened to Ironworks?
Though that was one of your favorites, too?
We got Rudy's here and they are hit and miss

Texans again George Shirley[_3_] Preserving 2 31-12-2012 01:06 AM
Hey Texans Cindy Fuller[_2_] General Cooking 1 29-07-2011 08:31 PM
Hey Texans Ema Nymton General Cooking 1 29-07-2011 08:17 PM
Hey Texans blake murphy[_2_] General Cooking 0 28-07-2011 05:07 PM
Hey Texans blake murphy[_2_] General Cooking 0 28-07-2011 05:06 PM