Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Collagen

On 7/13/2013 1:56 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> This was written by Kit Anderson a few years back. Help to understand
> what is happening in the bbq process
>

> Collagen
>

> Meats are made of muscle, connective tissue, fat and bone. Muscle
> contains proteins and glycogen. As the temperature of the meat
> increases, glycogen, a long chain sugar, is reduced to simple sugars.
> This caramelizes and is responsible for one of the flavor components.
>
> Proteins (flavorless) are denatured to amino acids, which not only
> have flavors themselves, but also undergo Maillard browning reactions
> which adds another flavor component.
>
> While bone adds no flavor itself, the marrow is rich in methyglobulin
> and other proteins. This reacts with smoke nitrites to give us the
> smoke ring. You may have heard that "the sweetest meat is next to the
> bone". The proteins are reduced to amino acids. Nutrasweet is an amino
> acid.
>
> Fat is very simple cells which breakdown to sugars, fatty acids, and
> triglycerides at low temperatures.
>
> Collagen is proteins that have lots of side chain bonds. This makes
> them elastic. It takes more energy to denature them than the simpler
> proteins of muscle tissue. Energy in the form of heat will denature
> these proteins into the flavorful amino acids.
>
> If the temperature is too high, the water in the muscle cells and the
> fat is rendered out before the collagen melts. This results in dry,
> tough meat. Too low and you risk bacterial activity.
>
> Tough cuts of meat like brisket and pork butts benefit from low
> temperature cooking as the collagen adds flavor to the meat. Less
> tough, more expensive cuts do not need this phase and can be cooked at
> high temperatures for shorter periods. That is why ribs take only a
> few hours and briskets take 20.

Ed,
Good to see you still here, looks like your working hard to keep the
topic alive. I had to take a long sabbatical due to the nonsense being
posted. I couldn't stay positive. I'm back and more focused. Hope I can
jump back in an help push the bbq message. I really got cynical after my
wife passed back in 2007, but found my way out, found another love and
wife, moved from SC to NC. Breathing easier now. I hope if I ****ed off
anyone still here that they can excuse my past posts.
Michael (Piedmont, The Practical BBQ'r!)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 9/2/2013 2:29 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Sep 2013 12:51:16 -0400, mawil1013 wrote:
>
>> I hope if I ****ed off
>> anyone still here that they can excuse my past posts.
>> Michael (Piedmont, The Practical BBQ'r!)

> I was trying to remember if you and I were cordial or not ;-) You
> weren't the one who went over to alt.religion.kibology with Kevin,
> were you?

I've only been on rec.food and here, nothing else.

> We're pretty tame these days. We have a few ignored kooks like
> Breadbasket/MMKay and a no-life morphing stalker of Marty and I (who
> pretends he's not "casa bona/contenta"), but other than that it's
> pretty slow and unconfrontational here here.

Yeah, it did appear reasonable here now which was what prompted me to
jump back in.

> ObFood: No grill or BBQ today so I have some 1.25" thick pork
> porterhouses that are dry-brining which I'll rub and sear in the CI
> pan. Corn, broccoli, cucumber-onion salad, and fresh baked bread. At
> least that's the plan for now, subject to change.
>
> -sw

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 9/2/2013 2:36 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Sep 2013 13:29:46 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> We're pretty tame these days. We have a few ignored kooks like
>> Breadbasket/MMKay and a no-life morphing stalker of Marty and I (who
>> pretends he's not "casa bona/contenta"), but other than that it's
>> pretty slow and unconfrontational here here.

> BTW, there's also:
>
> https://www.facebook.com/groups/OuthouseBBQ/
>
> A lot of the old-timers can be found there. More than here. And it's
> troll and kook-free except for TFM ;-)
>
> -sw

Thanks for the lead but I don't like the format in Google+ nor Facebook,
they come across as billboards and no connections, just me.
I just now browsed OHBBQ on fb but got that sterile feeling.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Monday, September 2, 2013 11:54:12 AM UTC-7, mawil1013 wrote:

> Thanks for the lead but I don't like the format in Google+ nor Facebook,
> they come across as billboards and no connections, just me.
> I just now browsed OHBBQ on fb but got that sterile feeling.

Ugh, not gonna join facebook for a BBQ group. Welcome back Mike, your stinky dog story is still a favorite of mine.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> I was trying to remember if you and I were cordial or not

Are you going to stalk him like you did with Omelet, Sqwerty?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> And it's
> troll and kook-free except for TFM;-)
>
> -sw

Not if you and shitlips are there...
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> But, hey - if you don't want to be*cool*, then that's fine!;-)
>
> -sw

Go shoot some mayo, ya needle-dick.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> Same story -
> a lot of the old-timers that left Usenet because of people like Casa
> Conceited.
>
> -sw

You killed off austin.food and stalked Omelet off the net, ya
needle-dicked little troll.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

>I was trying to remember if you and I were cordial or not ;-) You
>weren't the one who went over to alt.religion.kibology with Kevin,
>were you?

That was me and I believe I've been cordial with everyone here.

Cam
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Cam wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Sep 2013 13:29:46 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>

>> I was trying to remember if you and I were cordial or not ;-) You
>> weren't the one who went over to alt.religion.kibology with Kevin,
>> were you?

> That was me and I believe I've been cordial with everyone here.
>
> Cam

Take Sqwerty off the list, he's a group killer.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> No, that wasn't you that came back an asshole.

Someone claim your title there?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Monday, September 2, 2013 6:32:28 PM UTC-7, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Sep 2013 20:51:09 -0400, Cam wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2 Sep 2013 13:29:46 -0500, Sqwertz >

> > wrote:

> >>I was trying to remember if you and I were cordial or not ;-) You

> >>weren't the one who went over to alt.religion.kibology with Kevin,

> >>were you?

> > That was me and I believe I've been cordial with everyone here.

> No, that wasn't you that came back an asshole. I think it was Matthew
>
> Martin now that I think about it.
>

> <clickety click>
>

> Yeah, that was him. Used to be cool, but then discovered ARK and came
>
> back to troll and crosspost shile Kevin was having his meltdown.
>

> -sw

I think most everyone here has ****ed on or at a neighbor. That what happens when you put a buncha drunks in a room for too long.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

tutall wrote:
> I think most everyone here has ****ed on or at a neighbor. That what happens when you put a buncha drunks in a room for too long.

Ah yes, Sqwerty and Marty's lifestyle choices...