Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Ping Sqwertz

Yo Steve,
Goin to be near a HEB this weekend and wondered what you would reccomend
pickin up?
Is the HEB mesquite lump any good? It's on sale for 4.92 #10
Their fully cooked brisket is on sale too. Which is better the mesquite or
Texas style.
I know their meat is pretty good and they have Tbones on sale.
I've had their ribeyes and they were excellent and their beef smoked sausage
was good too.
Anything else you'd reccomend?

TIA

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

ChairMan wrote:
> Yo Steve,
> Goin to be near a HEB this weekend and wondered what you would reccomend
> pickin up?

It's Sqwerty after all, young guys...sheesh...
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,austin.food

Default Things to buy at HEB

Sqwertz wrote:
> Not sale prices.
>
> -sw

Like you have on Marty B's anus, eh Sqwerty-queer?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,austin.food

Default Things to buy at HEB (was: Ping Sqwertz)

Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 16:50:17 -0500, ChairMan wrote:
>
>> Yo Steve,
>> Goin to be near a HEB this weekend and wondered what you
>> would
>> reccomend pickin up?
>> Is the HEB mesquite lump any good? It's on sale for 4.92
>> Their fully cooked brisket is on sale too. Which is
>> better the
>> mesquite or Texas style.
>> I know their meat is pretty good and they have Tbones on
>> sale.
>> I've had their ribeyes and they were excellent and their
>> beef smoked
>> sausage was good too.
>> Anything else you'd reccomend?

> Arriba(?) brand lump 6.6lbs for $2.97/bag (comes in 20lb
> bags for even
> cheaper down south). It has a cowboy with a lasso logo on
> the front.
> I can't vouch for the HEB branded lump - never used it.

Can I get it at HEB?
If not, i'll be given it a try(HEB) it's gotta be as good if
not better than Kroger brand lump

> Texas PORK ribeyes - short end of the boneless pork loin
> with both
> dark and light meat for $1.98/lb sold whole in 5" chunks
> or in
> packages of 3/4" steaks.

I'll look for them

> Award-winning "HEB Specialty *Carolina* BBQ Sauce"
> ($2/bottle). Get
> two of them, at least. You have to get this if nothing
> else.

I picked up a couple three of them in Stephenville a couple
a weeks ago along with the 2 Franklin Sauces.
I also got the other HEB flavors, Texas, Kentucky Bourbon
and Memphis. Hadn't tried any yet except for the Franklins
Original.
I had higher expectations for it, but it was okay

> Their ice cream is high quality at $2.50/qt or $4.49/half.
>
> Bloody Mary's? Love Clamato? Pick up a 64oz/jug of their
> Clam-Tomato
> Cocktail from the juice aisle ($2.49). Pick up some
> "Farmers Market"
> (Best Maid) Bloody Mary pickles, too (you can probably get
> those in
> your bum****, Walmart TX, too! ;-)

The wife might like that

> Also, their pre-smoked briskets are quite edible but not
> worth the
> money compared to buying fresh-smoked beef at the BBQ
> joints like John
> Muellers. They used to be $2.99/lb but now cost 8$-$12/lb
> and come
> pre-sliced (you DONT PRESLICE BRISKET!)

Hey, I've seen you use it on a few of your sammiches or is
that just because yer without a smoker right now?
And yes, fresh is ALWAYS better, but I'm cookin a couple of
pastramis and some ribs this weekend and there won't be room
for a packer cut

> HEB brand frozen Italian meatballs. $2.97/13oz(?) bag or
> $6.97/32oz
> bag. Awesome with some of their $.20 bolillos from the
> bakery and
> some provolone, swiss, or motz.

I'll check 'em out

> Their sale USDA Select beefsteaks I never buy. They cut
> them too thin
> when on sale. I'd more likely buy a tri-tip, slice and
> marinate that
> for stir-fry. They sometimes have great deals on USDA
> Prime ("HEB
> Prime") if you hit the right store on right day. They are
> competitive
> with CostCo on their Prime but not all HEB stores carry
> Prime.

The ribeyes I picked up at the HEB in Cleburne were a little
thin, but had great color and were really good.
Maybe I'll look at their tenderloins and cut them up into
filets myself

> What, you just want me to meet you there? :-)

Nah, actually the wife liked some of their house brand stuff
enough that we're just goin to do a run to HEB in Waxahachie
or Ennis every
5-6 weeks, depending on which one has better Q joints for
lunch,. the mileage difference is only 6 miles so the Q
availability will be the deciding factor

> Disclaimer: All the prices I mention are the "every day"
> prices in
> Austin. Not sale prices.
>
> -sw

Thanks for the info and if I get the HEB lump, I'll let ya
know if it's how it is.

BTW: I've tried the tortilla pizzas you talked about several
times and them SOBs are good
Crisp 'em on one side, flip 'em add sauce and fixens then
cover until cheese melts good. Nice crispy thin crust

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,austin.food

bill clinton wrote:
>> (you can probably get
>> >those in
>> >your bum****, Walmart TX, too!;-)
>> >

> The wife might like that

Wifey's into bum****ing?

Hoo boy, Sqwerty's yer man then...

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,austin.food

Sqwertz wrote:
> Of course I have a picture of it:

Of course a narcissist like you does...
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,austin.food

Sqwertz wrote:
> And no, I don't have a smoker right now.
>
> -sw

Aw, you can't do luser-Q with yer man-crush Marty B...
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill clinton View Post
Sqwertz ost wrote:
[...]

We do not seem to be currently blessed with any HEB stores but believe there is one coming and going to set up shop over in the hood. Shopped with them a lot when we lived down South and always found good quality at fair prices. The "Cowboy Brand Lump" is commonly available at several locations up here. It is general believed to be the leftover wood scraps from cabinet and mill work industry. Some folks have reported getting chunks with varnish still on it..but havent experienced that personally. Will testify it is small chunks which burns up super hot and fast. Might be useful for flash cooking of chickens. In fact think I tried that strategy a few times. Not sure of the HEB brand lump. Would highly suspect it might be the generic equivalent of B&B Brand which is made in Texas and several stores carry up in this area. It is highly nasty and sooty and pops like Orval Reddenbackers Popping Corn. Hopefully that's not what it is. Now Royal Oak makes some passable lump if you happen to stumble over any of that or maybe that is the generic for HEB which would be a nice break. Now the Royal Oak briquettes are pitiful..not even as good as Kingsford which is some nasty stuff too. Bon Apetit!

Last edited by bigwheel : 29-08-2013 at 07:01 PM
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

bigwheel wrote:
> It is highly nasty and
> sooty and pops like Orval Reddenbackers Popping Corn.

So does martyB when he's smokin'...
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> That can't be right.

Your stalking omelet?

No, it wasn't.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> Which
> makes it less than half the price you quoted.
>
> -sw

why did you stalk omelet off the net?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,austin.food

Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 01:11:42 -0500, bill clinton wrote:
>

>> I picked up a couple three of them in Stephenville a
>> couple
>> a weeks ago along with the 2 Franklin Sauces.
>> I also got the other HEB flavors, Texas, Kentucky Bourbon
>> and Memphis.

> The Carolina is the only one I go out of way to buy.

Hey, I was there and figured what the hell at 2 bcks I can't
go wrong

>> Hadn't tried any yet except for the Franklins Original.
>> I had higher expectations for it, but it was okay

> They're charging $3.79 for a bottle of Franklin's. ****
> that. I'm
> boycotting everything about Franklins.

I only got it cuz I figured it's the closest I'm going to
get anything Franklin, because I'm damn sure not standing in
line for 3 -4 hrs for *anybodys* Q.
I haven't even been down to Pecan Lodge since March or April
and that was bad enough. I'm sure it's a lot worse now since
TX Monthly named them #2

>>> Also, their pre-smoked briskets are quite edible but not
>>> worth the
>>> money compared to buying fresh-smoked beef at the BBQ
>>> joints like John
>>> Muellers. They used to be $2.99/lb but now cost
>>> 8$-$12/lb
>>> and come
>>> pre-sliced (you DONT PRESLICE BRISKET!)

>> Hey, I've seen you use it on a few of your sammiches or
>> is
>> that just because yer without a smoker right now?

> Yes, I'm eating some of it now in a quesadilla. And I
> have another
> package of it in the freezer. I get mine heavily
> discounted - I would
> never pay the full price. And no, I don't have a smoker
> right now.
>
> -sw

I'll take it off the list then and just get the ribs@ $2.97
and a brisket @ $1.77 and cook it meself.
And a couple more packages of their premium smoke sausages

Thanks again for the info

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,austin.food

Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 22:55:24 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> Arriba(?) brand lump 6.6lbs for $2.97/bag (comes in 20lb
>> bags for
>> even cheaper down south). It has a cowboy with a lasso
>> logo on the
>> front. I can't vouch for the HEB branded lump - never
>> used it.

> It's called 'El Arriero'. Of course I have a picture of
> it:
>
> http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=9h6fdd&s=5
>
> And yes, it's sold at all the HEBs around here. Best deal
> on lump @
> $.45/lb.
>
> -sw

Thanks, I'll pick up a few bags then

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,austin.food

ChairMan wrote:
> Hey, I was there and figured what the hell at 2 bcks I can't
> go wrong

Sounds like wertz at the local truck stop glory hole.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,austin.food

ChairMan wrote:
> around here. Best deal
>> on lump @
>> $.45/lb.
>>
>> -sw

> Thanks, I'll pick up a few bags then

ya'll need to knock off the drug deals here...

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,austin.food

On 8/29/2013 8:35 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Of course I have a picture of it:

An attention whore like you would have to, yes...