Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Opinion about BBQ rubs

Do any of you feel these make much of a difference? Say you use one
rub on butt #1, and a different style rub on butt #2, can you really
tell the difference after all that smoke and bark is formed, then
mixed in with all the inner meat?

I long ago gave up on the idea that these spices make much a
difference other than to help bark formation. Seems that brown sugar
is pretty good for that, so we do a simple brown sugar. kosher salt,
pepper and *whatever's handy* and call it a day.

Someone have a different experience?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 4 Jun 2013 07:05:02 -0700 (PDT), tutall >
wrote:

>Do any of you feel these make much of a difference? Say you use one
>rub on butt #1, and a different style rub on butt #2, can you really
>tell the difference after all that smoke and bark is formed, then
>mixed in with all the inner meat?
>
>I long ago gave up on the idea that these spices make much a
>difference other than to help bark formation. Seems that brown sugar
>is pretty good for that, so we do a simple brown sugar. kosher salt,
>pepper and *whatever's handy* and call it a day.
>
>Someone have a different experience?

Not much different. I use a simple salt, pepper, garlic mix most of
the time. Sauce on the side.

I've tried more complex variants, but unless you go very heavy on a
particular spice, there is little difference. Too much rub and it
gets sandy texture.
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutall View Post
Do any of you feel these make much of a difference? Say you use one
rub on butt #1, and a different style rub on butt #2, can you really
tell the difference after all that smoke and bark is formed, then
mixed in with all the inner meat?

I long ago gave up on the idea that these spices make much a
difference other than to help bark formation. Seems that brown sugar
is pretty good for that, so we do a simple brown sugar. kosher salt,
pepper and *whatever's handy* and call it a day.

Someone have a different experience?
I like different rubs for different meats. I believe carefully formulated seasonings can have a dramatic influence on the flavor profile other than aiding in bark formation. Helps that too maybe. As a smart old comp cook splained to me about brisket one time..."A brisket is like a pinto bean...they all taste alike on the inside." With the moral of the tale being on thick hunks of meat..a person has up to about a 1/4" depth to try to impart some flavor into it. Brown sugar is good..but cant float the boat alone. Now I like to inject certain meats with certain things..also do brining and marinating etc. but we seemed to be on rubs so guess we could stick with that for a while..lol
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Thanks for the nudge toward the jerk seasoning. Never tried any on beef but love it on chicken. Now I get mine from a ho made marinade which is a top secret. Never tried dry rub Jerk spices but I have some just in case..lol. I dont tend to appreciate real aromatic stuff..cinnamon..allspice etc. on beef. No heresy on the brisket. Have an old vending chum who claims pushed pork sandwiches will out sell pulled brisket 3 to 1 in Texas..and is a lot more forgiving and less hassle to cook.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 5, 5:09*pm, bigwheel >
wrote:

>. Now I get mine from a ho made marinade which is
> a top secret.

Because it's illegal in most jurisdictions?

Or because you don't want anyone to know who and how you learned it
from?

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutall View Post
On Jun 5, 5:09*pm, bigwheel
wrote:

. Now I get mine from a ho made marinade which is
a top secret.

Because it's illegal in most jurisdictions?

Or because you don't want anyone to know who and how you learned it
from?
Dont think Obie has made it illegal yet..but you never know. I might could find it if somebody really wants it.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 6, 12:00*pm, bigwheel >
wrote:
> tutall;1838961 Wrote:
>
> > On Jun 5, 5:09*pm, bigwheel
> > wrote:
> > -

> > . Now I get mine from a ho made marinade which is
> > a top secret.-

> > Because it's illegal in most jurisdictions?

> > Or because you don't want anyone to know who and how you learned it
> > from?

> Dont think Obie has made it illegal yet..but you never know. I might
> could find it if somebody really wants it.

How's a ho's cooking different than anyone elses? And where is this
Obie, sounds like a fun place if this is legal.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 6/7/2013 12:01 PM, tutall wrote:
> On Jun 6, 12:00 pm, bigwheel >
> wrote:
>> tutall;1838961 Wrote:
>>
>>> On Jun 5, 5:09*pm, bigwheel
>>> wrote:
>>> -

>>> . Now I get mine from a ho made marinade which is
>>> a top secret.-

>>> Because it's illegal in most jurisdictions?

>>> Or because you don't want anyone to know who and how you learned it
>>> from?

>> Dont think Obie has made it illegal yet..but you never know. I might
>> could find it if somebody really wants it.

> How's a ho's cooking different than anyone elses?

I think it's in the rub...

> And where is this Obie, sounds like a fun place if this is legal.

It's a new Caliphate that's been forming somewhere south of Toronto, iirc.
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutall View Post
On Jun 6, 12:00*pm, bigwheel
wrote:
tutall;1838961 Wrote:

On Jun 5, 5:09*pm, bigwheel
wrote:
-

. Now I get mine from a ho made marinade which is
a top secret.-

Because it's illegal in most jurisdictions?

Or because you don't want anyone to know who and how you learned it
from?

Dont think Obie has made it illegal yet..but you never know. I might
could find it if somebody really wants it.

How's a ho's cooking different than anyone elses? And where is this
Obie, sounds like a fun place if this is legal.
Well ho made groceries typically have a more down on the farm...earthy flavor than it's exotic counterpart. Now just to be on the safe side..after chowing down..a wise person might consider a vinegar gargle. Would not be good to end up with the Big C of the throat like poor Michael D. ya know?

Last edited by bigwheel : 07-06-2013 at 11:54 PM
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

>Do any of you feel these make much of a difference? Say you use one
>rub on butt #1, and a different style rub on butt #2, can you really
>tell the difference after all that smoke and bark is formed, then
>mixed in with all the inner meat?
>
>I long ago gave up on the idea that these spices make much a
>difference other than to help bark formation. Seems that brown sugar
>is pretty good for that, so we do a simple brown sugar. kosher salt,
>pepper and *whatever's handy* and call it a day.
>
>Someone have a different experience?

I use Montreal Steak Spice most of the time. Low and slow you might
taste the spices, at grilling temp you just get the salty crust. I'll
add paprika for colour on chicken and mustard for luck on pork chops.

How Long for Dry and Wet Rubs? Steve Freides[_2_] General Cooking 4 22-01-2013 04:58 PM
Rubs Granby Barbecue 104 08-08-2009 12:47 AM
Dry Rubs? Andy[_2_] General Cooking 0 11-09-2007 11:00 AM
About Rubs? Kent Barbecue 4 03-08-2006 05:48 AM
How do I keep rubs fresh. willy lowman General Cooking 21 31-05-2006 08:19 PM