Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Yo Steve

I'm sure you got the new RD flyer.
So tell me,wtf is a sirloin butt and how do you cook 'em?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In ,
Sqwertz > belched:
> On Sat, 1 Jun 2013 13:06:13 -0500, ChairMan wrote:
>
>> I'm sure you got the new RD flyer.
>> So tell me,wtf is a sirloin butt and how do you cook 'em?

> Yeah, I saw those for $4.09 (IIRC). I think they're the upper part of
> the top sirloin adjacent to the sirloin tip. Probably about 8lbs. I
> think it's the default "sirloin roast" when "tip" is not specified.
> It's the better part of the sirloin.

Yeah it did say top or upper, I believe
So, can you smoke 'em, slice 'em for steaks or what?

> I'm still trying to figure out what exactly "pork cushion meat" and a
> few other things they advertise (like, WTF does "R/W" mean?).

Yup, wondered the same thing myself

> I love their prices on cheese. Half the price of the supermarkets.
> and i think they had a good price on tri-tips this week, too. But
> they were only Select. I still might go for it.
>
> -sw

have you tried the european butter?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In ,
Sqwertz > belched:
> On Sun, 2 Jun 2013 13:43:14 -0500, ChairMan wrote:
>
>> In ,
>> Sqwertz > belched:

>>> Yeah, I saw those for $4.09 (IIRC). I think they're the upper part
>>> of the top sirloin adjacent to the sirloin tip. Probably about
>>> 8lbs. I think it's the default "sirloin roast" when "tip" is not
>>> specified. It's the better part of the sirloin.

>> Yeah it did say top or upper, I believe

> Yeah - I remember seeing that wording. In that case they meant the
> "upper" grade of USDA Choice. There are two grades of USDA choice.
> The "upper" grade is the top 2/3rds in terms of quality. The bottom
> 1/3rd of that grade is near USDA Select and goes to Walmart so they
> can technically advertise "USDA Choice!"

i'm not sure what they meant, but my link to marty did show the butt to be
the upper part of the sirlion.
So it could mean either, I guess<shrug>

>> So, can you smoke 'em, slice 'em for steaks or what?

> You should be able to. I consider that the lowest of steaks but
> plenty of other people consider them steaks. Pop a whole one in a
> 200-220F smoker for 2 hours then finish it in a low 220F oven until it
> reaches 127F.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/7275891...n/photostream/
>
> Then slice it and use it as a steak right then and save the rest for
> sandwiches, beef and gravy, and whatever else.
>
> http://oi42.tinypic.com/ml4i1c.jpg
>
> -sw

thanks, might just have to get one a give it a try.
make some cheesesteaks with the leftovers

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Jun 2013 14:45:12 -0500, ChairMan wrote:
>
>> In ,
>> Sqwertz > belched:

>>> Yeah - I remember seeing that wording. In that case
>>> they meant the
>>> "upper" grade of USDA Choice. There are two grades of
>>> USDA choice.
>>> The "upper" grade is the top 2/3rds in terms of quality.
>>> The bottom
>>> 1/3rd of that grade is near USDA Select and goes to
>>> Walmart so they
>>> can technically advertise "USDA Choice!"

>> i'm not sure what they meant, but my link to marty did
>> show the butt
>> to be the upper part of the sirlion.
>> So it could mean either, I guess<shrug>

> Nope. I just took a look at the ad again. It's
> specifically referring
> to the grade rather than the cut.
>
> "Top Sirloin Butts _Upper Choice_" with "Upper Choice"
> underlined:
>
> http://www.restaurantdepot.com/Branc...june13_tex.pdf
>
> Don't make me... Now go find out WTF "R/W" means and
> don't come back
> until you do.
>
> And FWIW, this is what used to be called "Top Choice" in
> the 60's and
> 70's but for some reason they can't/don't use that
> terminology any
> more.
>
> -sw

I tried to call 'em, but nobody answered and Marty done come
up with what I was thinkin it was.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 1 Jun 2013 13:06:13 -0500, ChairMan wrote:
>
>> I'm sure you got the new RD flyer.
>> So tell me,wtf is a sirloin butt and how do you cook 'em?

> Yeah, I saw those for $4.09 (IIRC). I think they're the upper part of
> the top sirloin adjacent to the sirloin tip. Probably about 8lbs. I
> think it's the default "sirloin roast" when "tip" is not specified.
> It's the better part of the sirloin.
>
> I'm still trying to figure out what exactly "pork cushion meat" and a
> few other things they advertise (like, WTF does "R/W" mean?).
>
> I love their prices on cheese. Half the price of the supermarkets.
> and i think they had a good price on tri-tips this week, too. But
> they were only Select. I still might go for it.
>
> -sw

Ain't that the new name for pork BUTT?
BeeJay

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In ,
Sqwertz > belched:
> On Sun, 2 Jun 2013 23:21:20 -0500, ChairMan wrote:
>
>> I tried to call 'em, but nobody answered and Marty done come
>> up with what I was thinkin it was.

> I figured the W stood for weight because of the types of items it was
> describing, but I kept gravitating toward "Raw".
>
> -sw

yeah , I was thinkin raw too, but random kinda made more sense

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I'm thinking it was because Top Choice made an inroad as a dog food
brand ,, wanted to dis associate it?

Hey, Steve Janet B General Cooking 5 02-06-2016 10:43 AM
Steve, Don't Eat It! Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 4 29-10-2014 06:52 PM
yoo-hoo, steve! blake murphy[_2_] General Cooking 25 23-11-2008 11:39 AM
Where Is Steve W. When We Need Him? BOB Barbecue 27 21-06-2004 04:30 AM
For Steve John Droge Asian Cooking 1 05-03-2004 10:52 PM