Posted to alt.food.barbecue
OMB OMB is offline

Default Lamb question

I have never eaten lamb. Had mutton once as a teen, and didn't like it -
probably an old sheep because the roast had the odor of sheep, and a strong
taste.

But I see lamb chops in the butcher display at our grocery store, and it
looks like it would be good. Any experience or comments about grilling lamb
chops would be appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"OMB" <No-spam@this-address> wrote:
> I have never eaten lamb. Had mutton once as a teen, and didn't like it -
> probably an old sheep because the roast had the odor of sheep, and a
> strong taste.
>
> But I see lamb chops in the butcher display at our grocery store, and it
> looks like it would be good. Any experience or comments about grilling
> lamb chops would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks, Bob

I like lamb very rare. Rosemary and lots of garlic makes it for me! Enjoy!!

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMB View Post
I have never eaten lamb. Had mutton once as a teen, and didn't like it -
probably an old sheep because the roast had the odor of sheep, and a strong
taste.

But I see lamb chops in the butcher display at our grocery store, and it
looks like it would be good. Any experience or comments about grilling lamb
chops would be appreciated.

Thanks, Bob
I tried cooking a leg of spring lamb from Kiwiville back in the real early 70's. I had a nice charcoal grill thing and it stunk up my entire neighborhood so bad thought somebody might call the cops. Smelled just like a musky Javaleno Hawg or a 20 man threshing crew who aint had a bath or shot of deodorant in two weeks in the hot weather. I do not know how folks eat that stuff. Its a puzzler. They give out mint jelly to cover up the stink. They are way too cute to eat anyway. Have you ever seen a baby sheep? Who could eat that? No wonder they stink so bad. Its obviously an evolutionary protective mechanism to protect cute and fuzzy long legged quadrupeds. Such has been more fully developed in skunks..or S. Texas house cats as some were prone to call them.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 16 May 2013 10:55:36 -0500, "OMB" <No-spam@this-address>
wrote:

>I have never eaten lamb. Had mutton once as a teen, and didn't like it -
>probably an old sheep because the roast had the odor of sheep, and a strong
>taste.
>
>But I see lamb chops in the butcher display at our grocery store, and it
>looks like it would be good. Any experience or comments about grilling lamb
>chops would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks, Bob

Nick and Marty gave good advice. Lamb chops are fantastic medium
rare.

I had a similar experience to you and did not eat lamb for many years.
Once I rediscovered it and learned how to cook it, we have it often.

If you want to try a leg of lamb down the road, soak it in buttermilk
with garlic and rosemary for at least four hours, overnight is good,
grill it to medium. You can leave the buttermilk residue on it too.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

We like them like all the others EXCEPT with basil instead of rosemary, and I marinate them for 4 - 6 hours. Overnight was too long one time when we went out unexpectedly. And rare/med rare for sure. Good luck.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 16, 11:55*am, "OMB" <No-spam@this-address> wrote:
> I have never eaten lamb. *Had mutton once as a teen, and didn't like it -
> probably an old sheep because the roast had the odor of sheep, and a strong
> taste.
>
> But I see lamb chops in the butcher display at our grocery store, and it
> looks like it would be good. *Any experience or comments about grilling lamb
> chops would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks, Bob

I marinade the chops briefly in rosemary, garlic, olive oil, white
wine, and then slap them on a very hot grill, and grill them to rare.

rec: Lamb Slices in Madeira (leftover lamb) Jean B.[_1_] General Cooking 0 14-04-2009 12:43 PM
Lamb question Patok[_2_] Wine 7 27-12-2008 10:57 PM
lamb tongue question Karen[_3_] General Cooking 7 14-03-2007 03:05 AM
Newbie question: Minced Lamb Kebabs Johnny Asian Cooking 4 04-07-2006 07:57 PM
Lamb chops: broiling question Curly Sue General Cooking 18 29-03-2005 01:23 AM