Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Electric Smoker?

My El Cheapo Brinkman Gourmet has bit the dust. It lasted longer than I
expected given the dampness here.

I started looking for another smoker, perhaps a more "upscale" one and
saw a Brinkman very similar to mine that is electric.

My first thought was that an electric smoker would be proficient at
keeping the temperature the same without having to check it and refuel,
etc., but how does the food get smoked in an electric smoker?

Do you use little packets of foil with wood chunks in them like I do on
the charcoal smoker and on the hot side of the big gas grill?

What are the thoughts here regarding electric smokers?

TIA
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 09:08:04 -0500, Janet Wilder wrote:
>
> > My El Cheapo Brinkman Gourmet has bit the dust. It lasted longer than I
> > expected given the dampness here.
> >
> > I started looking for another smoker, perhaps a more "upscale" one and
> > saw a Brinkman very similar to mine that is electric.

> That was the first one I had (the red version of the Brinkman
> Gourmet). It kept tripping the circuit breaker in my apartment (at
> the time), it was hard to get up to temperature, and it was very
> finicky where you placed the wood for smoke.
>
> I ended up dumping out all the lava rocks and just using it as a
> charcoal pit. Just made sure the hole was lined up where the element
> and cord came into the unit. When that finally gave out I got the
> green version and never looked back.
>
> My green ECBG firepan is finally worn through after 5 years. So I
> have another new Green ECBG in my near future.
>
> > My first thought was that an electric smoker would be proficient at
> > keeping the temperature the same without having to check it and refuel,
> > etc., but how does the food get smoked in an electric smoker?

> You prop up wood chunks against the element and pray for consistent
> smoke.
>
> -sw

The Bradley electric smokers which use the wood chip pucks in an
automatic feeder work well. The one with the digital controls is
particularly good and easy to use. They are certainly a good option for
those who don't want to tend the smoker on a long cook. There is not
really any difference in the end product from the Bradley vs. a
wood/charcoal smoker.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 4/18/2013 10:56 AM, Pete C. wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 09:08:04 -0500, Janet Wilder wrote:
>>
>>> My El Cheapo Brinkman Gourmet has bit the dust. It lasted longer than I
>>> expected given the dampness here.
>>>
>>> I started looking for another smoker, perhaps a more "upscale" one and
>>> saw a Brinkman very similar to mine that is electric.

>> That was the first one I had (the red version of the Brinkman
>> Gourmet). It kept tripping the circuit breaker in my apartment (at
>> the time), it was hard to get up to temperature, and it was very
>> finicky where you placed the wood for smoke.
>>
>> I ended up dumping out all the lava rocks and just using it as a
>> charcoal pit. Just made sure the hole was lined up where the element
>> and cord came into the unit. When that finally gave out I got the
>> green version and never looked back.
>>
>> My green ECBG firepan is finally worn through after 5 years. So I
>> have another new Green ECBG in my near future.
>>
>>> My first thought was that an electric smoker would be proficient at
>>> keeping the temperature the same without having to check it and refuel,
>>> etc., but how does the food get smoked in an electric smoker?

>> You prop up wood chunks against the element and pray for consistent
>> smoke.
>>
>> -sw

> The Bradley electric smokers which use the wood chip pucks in an
> automatic feeder work well. The one with the digital controls is
> particularly good and easy to use. They are certainly a good option for
> those who don't want to tend the smoker on a long cook. There is not
> really any difference in the end product from the Bradley vs. a
> wood/charcoal smoker.

That's a bit steep for my budget and way to large for our needs, but
thanks anyway for your response. I do appreciate it.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

What do y'all think of the "Old Smokey" electric smoker. It seems to
have good reviews and a decent price.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Janet Wilder > wrote:
> My El Cheapo Brinkman Gourmet has bit the dust. It lasted longer than I
> expected given the dampness here.
>
> I started looking for another smoker, perhaps a more "upscale" one and
> saw a Brinkman very similar to mine that is electric.
>
> My first thought was that an electric smoker would be proficient at
> keeping the temperature the same without having to check it and refuel,
> etc., but how does the food get smoked in an electric smoker?
>
> Do you use little packets of foil with wood chunks in them like I do on
> the charcoal smoker and on the hot side of the big gas grill?
>
> What are the thoughts here regarding electric smokers?
>
> TIA

An uninsulated model suffers from outdoor temperatures, wind, and sun.
Garbage.
A good insulated electric will be good on electricity, and it should have a
thermostat.

My red stovepipe is garbage.

Greg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 4/18/2013 6:27 PM, gregz wrote:
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>> My El Cheapo Brinkman Gourmet has bit the dust. It lasted longer than I
>> expected given the dampness here.
>>
>> I started looking for another smoker, perhaps a more "upscale" one and
>> saw a Brinkman very similar to mine that is electric.
>>
>> My first thought was that an electric smoker would be proficient at
>> keeping the temperature the same without having to check it and refuel,
>> etc., but how does the food get smoked in an electric smoker?
>>
>> Do you use little packets of foil with wood chunks in them like I do on
>> the charcoal smoker and on the hot side of the big gas grill?
>>
>> What are the thoughts here regarding electric smokers?
>>
>> TIA

> An uninsulated model suffers from outdoor temperatures, wind, and sun.
> Garbage.
> A good insulated electric will be good on electricity, and it should have a
> thermostat.
>
> My red stovepipe is garbage.
>
> Greg

I live where there are two seasons, hot and warm. I don't think
insulation will be a problem.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Janet Wilder wrote:

> On 4/18/2013 6:27 PM, gregz wrote:
> > Janet Wilder > wrote:
> >> My El Cheapo Brinkman Gourmet has bit the dust. It lasted longer than I
> >> expected given the dampness here.
> >>
> >> I started looking for another smoker, perhaps a more "upscale" one and
> >> saw a Brinkman very similar to mine that is electric.
> >>
> >> My first thought was that an electric smoker would be proficient at
> >> keeping the temperature the same without having to check it and refuel,
> >> etc., but how does the food get smoked in an electric smoker?
> >>
> >> Do you use little packets of foil with wood chunks in them like I do on
> >> the charcoal smoker and on the hot side of the big gas grill?
> >>
> >> What are the thoughts here regarding electric smokers?
> >>
> >> TIA

> > An uninsulated model suffers from outdoor temperatures, wind, and sun.
> > Garbage.
> > A good insulated electric will be good on electricity, and it should have a
> > thermostat.
> >
> > My red stovepipe is garbage.
> >
> > Greg
> >

> I live where there are two seasons, hot and warm. I don't think
> insulation will be a problem.

Paint it dark green* and sit it in the sun and in the summer you'll be
'Qing without any electric or charcoal.

* Dark green is a better solar absorber than black
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Apr 18, 9:06*pm, bigwheel >
wrote:

> Well so glad you happen to axe about all this stuff. What did you say?
> No no that one needs branches and twigs broke off the tree. All a peson
> needs to do is take the element back from whence it came and start
> swinging it around wildly while shouting catchy phrases about Che
> Gurevor and Hussien Obamie then they give you another free one. First
> element lasted two days..the second one has lasted five years or so. The
> Christian slave laborers who make stuff for the Chicoms can have poor
> quality control sometimes. To paraphrase Great Grand pap George Patton
> as also pertains to the M1 Garand..Its the best bbq (battle) instrument
> yet devised...or somethng real similar to that. Go snag one of these.
> That give complete control to anal retentive types..maybe?
>
> 'AC 110V SCR Electronic Motor Speed Controller Dimmer Controls
> Temperature 3000W | eBay' (http://tinyurl.com/bnms2m3)
>
> --
> bigwheel-

Awesome drunk post, well done sir.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 19 Apr 2013 05:06:30 +0100, bigwheel
> wrote:

>'Janet Wilder[_1_ Wrote:
>> ;1829145']My El Cheapo Brinkman Gourmet has bit the dust. It lasted
>> longer than I
>> expected given the dampness here.
>>
>> I started looking for another smoker, perhaps a more "upscale" one and
>> saw a Brinkman very similar to mine that is electric.
>>
>> My first thought was that an electric smoker would be proficient at
>> keeping the temperature the same without having to check it and refuel,
>>
>> etc., but how does the food get smoked in an electric smoker?
>>
>> Do you use little packets of foil with wood chunks in them like I do on
>>
>> the charcoal smoker and on the hot side of the big gas grill?
>>
>> What are the thoughts here regarding electric smokers?
>>
>> TIA
>> --
>> Janet Wilder
>> Way-the-heck-south Texas
>> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

>Well so glad you happen to axe about all this stuff. What did you say?
>No no that one needs branches and twigs broke off the tree. All a peson
>needs to do is take the element back from whence it came and start
>swinging it around wildly while shouting catchy phrases about Che
>Gurevor and Hussien Obamie then they give you another free one. First
>element lasted two days..the second one has lasted five years or so. The
>Christian slave laborers who make stuff for the Chicoms can have poor
>quality control sometimes. To paraphrase Great Grand pap George Patton
>as also pertains to the M1 Garand..Its the best bbq (battle) instrument
>yet devised...or somethng real similar to that. Go snag one of these.
>That give complete control to anal retentive types..maybe?
>
>'AC 110V SCR Electronic Motor Speed Controller Dimmer Controls
>Temperature 3000W | eBay' (http://tinyurl.com/bnms2m3)

Reading that post makes me wonder what you've been smoking.

Ross.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 09:08:04 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>My El Cheapo Brinkman Gourmet has bit the dust. It lasted longer than I
>expected given the dampness here.
>
>I started looking for another smoker, perhaps a more "upscale" one and
>saw a Brinkman very similar to mine that is electric.
>
>My first thought was that an electric smoker would be proficient at
>keeping the temperature the same without having to check it and refuel,
>etc., but how does the food get smoked in an electric smoker?
>
>Do you use little packets of foil with wood chunks in them like I do on
>the charcoal smoker and on the hot side of the big gas grill?
>
>What are the thoughts here regarding electric smokers?
>
>TIA

I've had an electric smoker for about 5 years and for temperature
control it's great. The biggest drawback is that it relies on the
heating element to produce smoke from wood chips. If your ambient
temperature is quite warm and the element doesn't come on often, smoke
production can be severely limited.
I overcame that drawback when I purchased an amazing little device
from Todd Johnson called the A-Maze-N-Pellet-Smoker.
It's a well made little unit that burns wood pellets and provides a
steady supply of perfect thin blue smoke while the cycling of the
electric element maintains the temperature.
I don't bother with the wood chips now, just use the pellet smoker to
supply the smoke.
Or, for cold smoking, I use the pellet smoker alone without the
electric power.
You can see it at: http://www.amazenproducts.com/

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 4/19/2013 10:51 AM, Ross@home wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 09:08:04 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
>> My El Cheapo Brinkman Gourmet has bit the dust. It lasted longer than I
>> expected given the dampness here.
>>
>> I started looking for another smoker, perhaps a more "upscale" one and
>> saw a Brinkman very similar to mine that is electric.
>>
>> My first thought was that an electric smoker would be proficient at
>> keeping the temperature the same without having to check it and refuel,
>> etc., but how does the food get smoked in an electric smoker?
>>
>> Do you use little packets of foil with wood chunks in them like I do on
>> the charcoal smoker and on the hot side of the big gas grill?
>>
>> What are the thoughts here regarding electric smokers?
>>
>> TIA

> I've had an electric smoker for about 5 years and for temperature
> control it's great. The biggest drawback is that it relies on the
> heating element to produce smoke from wood chips. If your ambient
> temperature is quite warm and the element doesn't come on often, smoke
> production can be severely limited.
> I overcame that drawback when I purchased an amazing little device
> from Todd Johnson called the A-Maze-N-Pellet-Smoker.
> It's a well made little unit that burns wood pellets and provides a
> steady supply of perfect thin blue smoke while the cycling of the
> electric element maintains the temperature.
> I don't bother with the wood chips now, just use the pellet smoker to
> supply the smoke.
> Or, for cold smoking, I use the pellet smoker alone without the
> electric power.
> You can see it at: http://www.amazenproducts.com/
>
> Ross.
> Southern Ontario, Canada

I have a similar smoker box that I've used on the gas grill. I'm betting
it will serve the same purpose.

Thanks for the response.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 04/19/2013 01:01 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 4/19/2013 10:51 AM, Ross@home wrote:
>> On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 09:08:04 -0500, Janet Wilder
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> My El Cheapo Brinkman Gourmet has bit the dust. It lasted longer than I
>>> expected given the dampness here.
>>>
>>> I started looking for another smoker, perhaps a more "upscale" one and
>>> saw a Brinkman very similar to mine that is electric.
>>>
>>> My first thought was that an electric smoker would be proficient at
>>> keeping the temperature the same without having to check it and refuel,
>>> etc., but how does the food get smoked in an electric smoker?
>>>
>>> Do you use little packets of foil with wood chunks in them like I do on
>>> the charcoal smoker and on the hot side of the big gas grill?
>>>
>>> What are the thoughts here regarding electric smokers?
>>>
>>> TIA

>> I've had an electric smoker for about 5 years and for temperature
>> control it's great. The biggest drawback is that it relies on the
>> heating element to produce smoke from wood chips. If your ambient
>> temperature is quite warm and the element doesn't come on often, smoke
>> production can be severely limited.
>> I overcame that drawback when I purchased an amazing little device
>> from Todd Johnson called the A-Maze-N-Pellet-Smoker.
>> It's a well made little unit that burns wood pellets and provides a
>> steady supply of perfect thin blue smoke while the cycling of the
>> electric element maintains the temperature.
>> I don't bother with the wood chips now, just use the pellet smoker to
>> supply the smoke.
>> Or, for cold smoking, I use the pellet smoker alone without the
>> electric power.
>> You can see it at: http://www.amazenproducts.com/
>>
>> Ross.
>> Southern Ontario, Canada
>>

> I have a similar smoker box that I've used on the gas grill. I'm betting
> it will serve the same purpose.
>

> Thanks for the response.

I have been tending fires now for over 40 years. In my honest opinion,
the smoker that produced the most consistent, pain free barbecue was the
Great Outdoors Smokey Mountain.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Outd...moker/12429510

I have since moved on to an offset, but that was mostly because I have
more free time nowadays to tend a fire. I still have the GOSM. It
truly is a set it and forget it smoker.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 21 Apr 2013 08:16:57 -0500, Shawn >
wrote:

>I have been tending fires now for over 40 years. In my honest opinion,
>the smoker that produced the most consistent, pain free barbecue was the
>Great Outdoors Smokey Mountain.
>http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Outd...moker/12429510
>
>I have since moved on to an offset, but that was mostly because I have
>more free time nowadays to tend a fire. I still have the GOSM. It
>truly is a set it and forget it smoker.

I've been using one for about 5 years now. Really does a nice job. I
can load a couple of briskets, a butt, whatever, and it can cook all
night with little tending.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 21 Apr 2013 08:16:57 -0500, Shawn >
> wrote:
>

>>I have been tending fires now for over 40 years. In my honest opinion,
>>the smoker that produced the most consistent, pain free barbecue was the
>>Great Outdoors Smokey Mountain.
>>http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Outd...moker/12429510
>>
>>I have since moved on to an offset, but that was mostly because I have
>>more free time nowadays to tend a fire. I still have the GOSM. It
>>truly is a set it and forget it smoker.

> I've been using one for about 5 years now. Really does a nice job. I
> can load a couple of briskets, a butt, whatever, and it can cook all
> night with little tending.

I'll make a third vote for a vertical gasser.
I bought a Smoke hollow gasser about 4 years ago and love it.
Like Ed and Shawn said, set on low it holds 225-250 all day long, just add
wood
i would recommend going with a 2 door so you can add wood without losing
heat in the top
My next is this one

<http://www.amazon.com/Smoke-Hollow-4...I20AHNJ9QZR50K

or

http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20...Y/ref=rec_dp_1

The Smoke Hollow is 24.5v x 30 and can handle a packer cut brisket were the
smaller ones won't.

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Wilder[_1_] View Post
My El Cheapo Brinkman Gourmet has bit the dust. It lasted longer than I
expected given the dampness here.

I started looking for another smoker, perhaps a more "upscale" one and
saw a Brinkman very similar to mine that is electric.

My first thought was that an electric smoker would be proficient at
keeping the temperature the same without having to check it and refuel,
etc., but how does the food get smoked in an electric smoker?

Do you use little packets of foil with wood chunks in them like I do on
the charcoal smoker and on the hot side of the big gas grill?

What are the thoughts here regarding electric smokers?

TIA
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
I love electric smokers..own two right now. The Brinkmann Electric is the best I have found in its price range. No foil needed. The heating element rests on lava rocks..all that is required is to throw some wood on it. Chunks..small tree llimbs..pecan shells..whatever you like. On a nice warm non windy day it seems to hold a temp of around 295 f. which is about right for most stuff. As with most small bullet type smokers its a little wind sensitive but nothing major. In cold windy weather or rain..an empty 55 gallon barrel or a big #2 washtub dunked down over the top makes a great insulator...and in the case of the barrel makes a great place to keep it out of the elements when not it use. For those with a few extra bucks Smokin Tex seems to be close to the Lincoln Town Car of the class and is on my agenda to be a proud owner. I have a pal who has one and brags about it constantly...even uses if for catering purposes. Bon Apetit!

SmokinTex Smoker Ovens | Barbecue Electric Smokers | Commercial Restaurant Smokers, Residential, and Catering

This is another great one to consider. Used in a lot of commercial applications but not sure how it stacks up against the Smokin Tex. PS Edit..Having looked again I do not like the looks of built in TV set on top. Mine will have to hang out outside. Not sure how the gizmo hold up on a tornado. The Smokin Tex controls should be more weather resistant I think.

Home Smokers | Cookshack

Last edited by bigwheel : 22-04-2013 at 09:46 PM

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqwertz View Post
[...]

You must have had some crappy electricity young man. I run mine a lot plugged into a finicky 15 amp circuit and its never popped anything.
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C. View Post
Sqwertz wrote:

[...]

Bradleys are great with the glaring drawback being the proprietary saw dust hockey pucks which make it smoke. It will knock a huge hole in the wallet to make it huff..if you can find somewhere to buy the pucks. I would not recommend it for any purpose for normal folks.
Senior Member

Sqwertz wrote:

[...]

If your pinching pennies stick with the brinkmann.
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Wilder[_1_] View Post
What do y'all think of the "Old Smokey" electric smoker. It seems to
have good reviews and a decent price.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Has no way to add fuel or water without removing the meat. I would rapidly forget that one.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 4/22/2013 8:20 AM, bigwheel wrote:
> 'Janet Wilder[_1_ Wrote:
>> ;1829513']What do y'all think of the "Old Smokey" electric smoker. It
>> seems to
>> have good reviews and a decent price.
>>
>> --
>> Janet Wilder
>> Way-the-heck-south Texas
>> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

> Has no way to add fuel or water without removing the meat. I would
> rapidly forget that one.

Bigwheel,

I thank you for your thoughts and responses.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 21 Apr 2013 16:33:05 -0500, ChairMan wrote:
>
>> My next is this one
>>
>> <http://www.amazon.com/Smoke-Hollow-4...I20AHNJ9QZR50K

> WARNING:
> CHOKING HAZARD -- Small parts. Not for children under 3 yrs.
>
> That leaves me out! When I'm out of meat some day, I may just try and
> eat the smoker.
>
> -sw

would you like sauce with that?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

bigwheel wrote:

> Pete C.;1829511 Wrote:
> > Sqwertz wrote:-
> >
> > On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 09:08:04 -0500, Janet Wilder wrote:
> > -
> > My El Cheapo Brinkman Gourmet has bit the dust. It lasted longer than
> > expected given the dampness here.
> >
> > I started looking for another smoker, perhaps a more "upscale" one
> > and
> > saw a Brinkman very similar to mine that is electric.-
> >
> > That was the first one I had (the red version of the Brinkman
> > Gourmet). It kept tripping the circuit breaker in my apartment (at
> > the time), it was hard to get up to temperature, and it was very
> > finicky where you placed the wood for smoke.
> >
> > I ended up dumping out all the lava rocks and just using it as a
> > charcoal pit. Just made sure the hole was lined up where the element
> > and cord came into the unit. When that finally gave out I got the
> > green version and never looked back.
> >
> > My green ECBG firepan is finally worn through after 5 years. So I
> > have another new Green ECBG in my near future.
> > -
> > My first thought was that an electric smoker would be proficient at
> > keeping the temperature the same without having to check it and
> > refuel,
> > etc., but how does the food get smoked in an electric smoker?-
> >
> > You prop up wood chunks against the element and pray for consistent
> > smoke.
> >
> > -sw-
> >
> > The Bradley electric smokers which use the wood chip pucks in an
> > automatic feeder work well. The one with the digital controls is
> > particularly good and easy to use. They are certainly a good option for
> > those who don't want to tend the smoker on a long cook. There is not
> > really any difference in the end product from the Bradley vs. a
> > wood/charcoal smoker.

> Bradleys are great with the glaring drawback being the proprietary saw
> dust hockey pucks which make it smoke. It will knock a huge hole in the
> wallet to make it huff..if you can find somewhere to buy the pucks. I
> would not recommend it for any purpose for normal folks.
>
> --
> bigwheel

You can make your own pucks if you really want to. Easy to make wood
chips and easy to compress them into a crumbly puck. The pucks are
widely available both retail and online if you want to buy the official
ones, and the online bulk are a lot cheaper than retail. A friend of
mine has the Bradley and loves it, no problems in relatively cold temps
either.
Senior Member

bigwheel wrote:

Pete C.;1829511 Wrote:
Sqwertz wrote:-

[...]

Well ok..there ya go. If a person can clone the pucks I will take two. Last I checked it took 15 official pack tight pucks to cook one brisket. Can we clone by the ton? lol The Canadians think up all kinds of good stuff eh?

Last edited by bigwheel : 24-04-2013 at 06:36 AM
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

bigwheel wrote:

> [...]
> > the
> > wallet to make it huff..if you can find somewhere to buy the pucks. I
> > would not recommend it for any purpose for normal folks.
> >
> > --
> > bigwheel-
> >
> > You can make your own pucks if you really want to. Easy to make wood
> > chips and easy to compress them into a crumbly puck. The pucks are
> > widely available both retail and online if you want to buy the official
> > ones, and the online bulk are a lot cheaper than retail. A friend of
> > mine has the Bradley and loves it, no problems in relatively cold temps
> > either.

> Well ok..there ya go. If a person can clone the pucks I will take two.
> Last I checked it took 15 official pack tight pucks to cook one brisket.
> Can we clone by the ton? lol The Canadians think up all kinds of good

15 pucks? Not on any Bradley smoker run that I've attended, more like 5
or 6 pucks. The total cook time is long, but only an hour or two of
smoke is needed.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 14:45:09 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sun, 21 Apr 2013 16:33:05 -0500, ChairMan wrote:
>
>> My next is this one
>>
>> <http://www.amazon.com/Smoke-Hollow-4...I20AHNJ9QZR50K

>WARNING:
>CHOKING HAZARD -- Small parts. Not for children under 3 yrs.
>
>That leaves me out! When I'm out of meat some day, I may just try and
>eat the smoker.
>
>-sw

I have an electric Smoke Hollow and love it. The cord is not very
long and you will need a real thick extension cord. Also, you will NOT
get a smoke ring. But it does the job real nice. Easy clean up if you
use a drip pan. You Must add a drip pan.

Use any wood chips. No not soak them. Use sand in the "water pan"
covered in foil to ease clean up and reuse the sand. No temp spikes or
drops with sand. OK in winter and on somewhat windy days.

Real good heat retention. Will not go much above 300f even on a hot
day. IMHO, a good thing. Hell, it's hard to get the thing over 275.

Draw back...do not use out in the open on a rain day (duh).

Had the thing for about 4-5 years now. No rust or any problems.