Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Pastrami Update

The pastrami was wonderful! DH said "it tastes like pastrami" meaning
that I did good. :-)

We have a big chunk left over for another meal. I'll slice it cold to
get the thinnest possible slices.

I remember when I was a little girl we'd go to a Kosher deli and the man
at the counter would take this big slab of pastrami out of a steaming
box and slice it to order. That's what mine tasted like.

Thanks for all your hints and helps, guys. I love you all.
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 7/15/2012 9:50 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 20:56:01 -0500, Janet Wilder wrote:
>
>> The pastrami was wonderful! DH said "it tastes like pastrami" meaning
>> that I did good. :-)

> You went with the pressure cooker method? How long for each stage?
>
> -sw

On the smoker about 2 hours. I went by temperature rather than time,
so it was at 150° when I took it off.

In the styrofoam cooler wrapped in foil for about 2 hours. Was
still hot.

In the pressure cooker, 20 minutes under pressure and I let the
pressure fall on its own.

We won't get another meal out of it. He just had some for lunch.

There is another corned beef in the freezer, so I'll do a repeat in a
couple of months.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Janet Wilder > wrote:
> The pastrami was wonderful! DH said "it tastes like pastrami" meaning
> that I did good. :-)
>
> We have a big chunk left over for another meal. I'll slice it cold to
> get the thinnest possible slices.
>
> I remember when I was a little girl we'd go to a Kosher deli and the man
> at the counter would take this big slab of pastrami out of a steaming
> box and slice it to order. That's what mine tasted like.
>
> Thanks for all your hints and helps, guys. I love you all.

Who could ask for anything more!? That sounds so great, Janet. I'm real
happy for y'all.

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 7/15/2012 9:50 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Sun, 15 Jul 2012 20:56:01 -0500, Janet Wilder wrote:
>>
>>> The pastrami was wonderful! DH said "it tastes like pastrami" meaning
>>> that I did good. :-)

>> You went with the pressure cooker method? How long for each stage?
>>
>> -sw
>>

> On the smoker about 2 hours. I went by temperature rather than time, so
> it was at 150° when I took it off.
>
> In the styrofoam cooler wrapped in foil for about 2 hours. Was still
> hot.
>
> In the pressure cooker, 20 minutes under pressure and I let the
> pressure fall on its own.
>

> We won't get another meal out of it. He just had some for lunch.
>
> There is another corned beef in the freezer, so I'll do a repeat in a
> couple of months.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Sounds like you done good.
Janet, everytime I see your name I think of
the Mike Douglas and the heroine "Jane Wilder". It brings an image of him
sliding down the gully and landing with his face in her crotch<g>
BeeJay

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Thanks for the encouragement. I value my "gurus" on AFB. Your praise
means a lot.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 7/17/2012 7:54 PM, Kent wrote:

> Do you need the pressure? Would you lose anything if you steamed in a
> steamer, like an oriental bamboo steamer? We have a huge steamer for
> Dungeness Crab we picked up at Ranch 99 for less than $30.

One thing I learned about pressure cooking, there is a good deal less
shrinkage of meat. It's also faster and uses less energy.

I learned to use a pressure cooker when I was about 11 years old. Still
use one all the time.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 7/17/2012 7:54 PM, Kent wrote:
>
>> Do you need the pressure? Would you lose anything if you steamed in a
>> steamer, like an oriental bamboo steamer? We have a huge steamer for
>> Dungeness Crab we picked up at Ranch 99 for less than $30.

> One thing I learned about pressure cooking, there is a good deal less
> shrinkage of meat. It's also faster and uses less energy.
>
> I learned to use a pressure cooker when I was about 11 years old. Still
> use one all the time.
>

> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Is it a Presto Pressure Cooker? It was developed near the beginning of WWII
and was sort of a standard during those difficult times. I haven't seen one
in years. The Presto plant was very near where I grew up. I think it's
dormant now.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 7/20/2012 12:33 AM, Kent wrote:
> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> eb.com...
>> On 7/17/2012 7:54 PM, Kent wrote:
>>
>>> Do you need the pressure? Would you lose anything if you steamed in a
>>> steamer, like an oriental bamboo steamer? We have a huge steamer for
>>> Dungeness Crab we picked up at Ranch 99 for less than $30.

>> One thing I learned about pressure cooking, there is a good deal less
>> shrinkage of meat. It's also faster and uses less energy.
>>
>> I learned to use a pressure cooker when I was about 11 years old. Still
>> use one all the time.

> Is it a Presto Pressure Cooker? It was developed near the beginning of WWII
> and was sort of a standard during those difficult times. I haven't seen one
> in years. The Presto plant was very near where I grew up. I think it's
> dormant now.

It is a Presto. Aluminum cheapie model from WalMart. I had a stainless
steel Cuisinart one and didn't care for it as stuff stuck to it and it
was hard to clean. Love this Presto. Lightweight to handle, but does a
great job.

Pastrami Janet Wilder[_1_] Barbecue 10 16-07-2012 01:48 AM
What do I do with a pastrami? Julie Bove Diabetic 98 23-04-2009 11:44 PM
Thank you Dee!! Pastrami Nancy Young General Cooking 16 29-01-2006 10:33 PM