Old 08-07-2012, 08:23 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Pastrami

I could have sworn that the FAQ had a pastrami recipe. It didn't.

When corned beef briskets were on sale in March, I got two extra and
decided to try my hand at a pastrami.

I found a rub recipe online that doesn't require a whole lot of sugar
(feh!) and a method whereby one smokes it until 150 internal temp then
steams it in a pressure cooker for that "deli" taste and consistency. I
think this might be they way I'll go.

Any comments or suggestions? I'd appreciate them.
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Old 08-07-2012, 09:38 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 08 Jul 2012 14:23:07 -0500, Janet Wilder
wrote:

I could have sworn that the FAQ had a pastrami recipe. It didn't.

When corned beef briskets were on sale in March, I got two extra and
decided to try my hand at a pastrami.

I found a rub recipe online that doesn't require a whole lot of sugar
(feh!) and a method whereby one smokes it until 150 internal temp then
steams it in a pressure cooker for that "deli" taste and consistency. I
think this might be they way I'll go.

Any comments or suggestions? I'd appreciate them.

That pretty much does it. The rub should have coriander and garlic in
it. I've only done it on the smoker though, not a pressure cooker, but
it may work well.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:47 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

I could have sworn that the FAQ had a pastrami recipe. It didn't.

When corned beef briskets were on sale in March, I got two extra and
decided to try my hand at a pastrami.

I found a rub recipe online that doesn't require a whole lot of sugar
(feh!) and a method whereby one smokes it until 150 internal temp then
steams it in a pressure cooker for that "deli" taste and consistency. I
think this might be they way I'll go.

Any comments or suggestions? I'd appreciate them.

That pretty much does it. The rub should have coriander and garlic in
it. I've only done it on the smoker though, not a pressure cooker, but
it may work well.

The rub recipe I found has black pepper corns and coriander. I have a
spice grinder and can use that or a metate.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:49 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

I could have sworn that the FAQ had a pastrami recipe. It didn't.

When corned beef briskets were on sale in March, I got two extra and
decided to try my hand at a pastrami.

I found a rub recipe online that doesn't require a whole lot of sugar
(feh!) and a method whereby one smokes it until 150 internal temp then
steams it in a pressure cooker for that "deli" taste and consistency. I
think this might be they way I'll go.

Any comments or suggestions? I'd appreciate them.

That pretty much does it. The rub should have coriander and garlic in
it. I've only done it on the smoker though, not a pressure cooker, but
it may work well.

You HAVE to wrap a commercial corned beef after a couple hours of
smoking. Doing it solely in the smoker will not leech out that salt
that is meant to come out during simmering (manufacturers directions).
I guess the pressure cooker would accomplish the same thing as
wrapping.

I would hope the corned beef is up above the water level in the
pressure cooking.

-sw

1) I will soak the corned beef overnight to get out the extra salt.

2) I will use the rack in the pressure cooker to steam the meat and not
boil it.

Steve,
I don't do binaries, can you shoot me over your recipe?

TIA

Old 08-07-2012, 11:45 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Janet Wilder" wrote in message
eb.com...
I could have sworn that the FAQ had a pastrami recipe. It didn't.

When corned beef briskets were on sale in March, I got two extra and
decided to try my hand at a pastrami.

I found a rub recipe online that doesn't require a whole lot of sugar
(feh!) and a method whereby one smokes it until 150 internal temp then
steams it in a pressure cooker for that "deli" taste and consistency. I
think this might be they way I'll go.

Any comments or suggestions? I'd appreciate them.

well, I have a couple questions for you and others:

how long do you soak the corned beef to remove some salt?

do you air dry it at all after the soak?

I read that cold smoking gives a more traditional texture. So, if you cold
smoke do you then just cook it in an oven to the same internal temp as if
you were hot smoking?

Old 08-07-2012, 11:57 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 7/8/2012 5:45 PM, Pico Rico wrote:
"Janet wrote in message
eb.com...
I could have sworn that the FAQ had a pastrami recipe. It didn't.

When corned beef briskets were on sale in March, I got two extra and
decided to try my hand at a pastrami.

I found a rub recipe online that doesn't require a whole lot of sugar
(feh!) and a method whereby one smokes it until 150 internal temp then
steams it in a pressure cooker for that "deli" taste and consistency. I
think this might be they way I'll go.

Any comments or suggestions? I'd appreciate them.

well, I have a couple questions for you and others:

how long do you soak the corned beef to remove some salt?

The recipe I read said overnight. About 8 or 10 hours, I should think.
I'd also change the water mid way.

do you air dry it at all after the soak?

I would let it dry while heating up the smoker.

I read that cold smoking gives a more traditional texture. So, if you cold
smoke do you then just cook it in an oven to the same internal temp as if
you were hot smoking?

I wouldn't cold smoke it. The recipes I found all called for between
220 and 250 smoker temp. I'm not really that proficient at smoking
that I'd attempt to cold smoke. Too worried about safety.

Old 14-07-2012, 11:54 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Janet Wilder" wrote in message
eb.com...
I could have sworn that the FAQ had a pastrami recipe. It didn't.

When corned beef briskets were on sale in March, I got two extra and
decided to try my hand at a pastrami.

I found a rub recipe online that doesn't require a whole lot of sugar
(feh!) and a method whereby one smokes it until 150 internal temp then
steams it in a pressure cooker for that "deli" taste and consistency. I
think this might be they way I'll go.

Any comments or suggestions? I'd appreciate them.
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Janet here's an article about making pastrami from corned beef I found on
the Virtual Weber Bullet. http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cornedbeef.html
I've a got a couple of frozen corned beef flats in the garage freezer. I'm
going to try this. My concern would be the degree of saltiness you end up
with.

Kent

Old 15-07-2012, 04:39 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 7/14/2012 5:54 PM, Kent wrote:
"Janet wrote in message
eb.com...
[...]

Thanks, Kent.

I have been soaking the corned beef since this morning with a change of
water.

I did make a note of the rub. Sounds good to me. I have pepper and
corriander and an electric coffee/spice grinder grinder.

I don't have a WSM, just a Brinkman Gourmet, so I'll be using the
smoking instructions I found somewhere else and smoking to 150 with a
wrapped rest then a steaming in the pressure cooker.

Tomorrow is the day. DH wants me to bake a rye bread to go with it.
Don't think that will happen.

I'll report back on the success of the pastrami..

Old 16-07-2012, 01:48 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Janet Wilder" wrote in message
eb.com...
On 7/14/2012 5:54 PM, Kent wrote:
"Janet wrote in message
eb.com...
[...]

I think I'd follow the temp. recommendations. BTW, the Virtual Weber Bullet
has nothing to do with the Weber company. It's moderated by a fellow named
Chris Allingham. It's a good site for ideas about smoking in general,
particularly smoking with a bullet smoker.

Kent

pastrami Pico Rico Barbecue 4 05-11-2010 06:44 PM
pastrami for NB modom (palindrome guy)[_2_] General Cooking 6 02-12-2008 09:33 PM
Thank you Dee!! Pastrami Nancy Young General Cooking 16 29-01-2006 09:33 PM
Pastrami Mike \Piedmont\ Recipes (moderated) 0 04-11-2005 03:06 AM