FoodBanter.com

-   -   Pastrami (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/418776-pastrami.html)

Janet Wilder[_1_] 08-07-2012 08:23 PM

Pastrami

I could have sworn that the FAQ had a pastrami recipe. It didn't.

When corned beef briskets were on sale in March, I got two extra and
decided to try my hand at a pastrami.

I found a rub recipe online that doesn't require a whole lot of sugar
(feh!) and a method whereby one smokes it until 150° internal temp then
steams it in a pressure cooker for that "deli" taste and consistency. I
think this might be they way I'll go.

Any comments or suggestions? I'd appreciate them.
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Ed Pawlowski 08-07-2012 09:38 PM

Pastrami

On Sun, 08 Jul 2012 14:23:07 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>I could have sworn that the FAQ had a pastrami recipe. It didn't.
>
>When corned beef briskets were on sale in March, I got two extra and
>decided to try my hand at a pastrami.
>
>I found a rub recipe online that doesn't require a whole lot of sugar
>(feh!) and a method whereby one smokes it until 150° internal temp then
>steams it in a pressure cooker for that "deli" taste and consistency. I
>think this might be they way I'll go.
>
>Any comments or suggestions? I'd appreciate them.

That pretty much does it. The rub should have coriander and garlic in
it. I've only done it on the smoker though, not a pressure cooker, but
it may work well.

Janet Wilder[_1_] 08-07-2012 10:47 PM

Pastrami

On 7/8/2012 3:38 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Jul 2012 14:23:07 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
>> I could have sworn that the FAQ had a pastrami recipe. It didn't.
>>
>> When corned beef briskets were on sale in March, I got two extra and
>> decided to try my hand at a pastrami.
>>
>> I found a rub recipe online that doesn't require a whole lot of sugar
>> (feh!) and a method whereby one smokes it until 150° internal temp then
>> steams it in a pressure cooker for that "deli" taste and consistency. I
>> think this might be they way I'll go.
>>
>> Any comments or suggestions? I'd appreciate them.

> That pretty much does it. The rub should have coriander and garlic in
> it. I've only done it on the smoker though, not a pressure cooker, but
> it may work well.

The rub recipe I found has black pepper corns and coriander. I have a
spice grinder and can use that or a metate.

Janet Wilder[_1_] 08-07-2012 10:49 PM

Pastrami

On 7/8/2012 3:58 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Jul 2012 16:38:50 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 08 Jul 2012 14:23:07 -0500, Janet Wilder
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I could have sworn that the FAQ had a pastrami recipe. It didn't.
>>>
>>> When corned beef briskets were on sale in March, I got two extra and
>>> decided to try my hand at a pastrami.
>>>
>>> I found a rub recipe online that doesn't require a whole lot of sugar
>>> (feh!) and a method whereby one smokes it until 150° internal temp then
>>> steams it in a pressure cooker for that "deli" taste and consistency. I
>>> think this might be they way I'll go.
>>>
>>> Any comments or suggestions? I'd appreciate them.

>> That pretty much does it. The rub should have coriander and garlic in
>> it. I've only done it on the smoker though, not a pressure cooker, but
>> it may work well.

> You HAVE to wrap a commercial corned beef after a couple hours of
> smoking. Doing it solely in the smoker will not leech out that salt
> that is meant to come out during simmering (manufacturers directions).
> I guess the pressure cooker would accomplish the same thing as
> wrapping.
>
> I would hope the corned beef is up above the water level in the
> pressure cooking.
>
> -sw

1) I will soak the corned beef overnight to get out the extra salt.

2) I will use the rack in the pressure cooker to steam the meat and not
boil it.

Steve,
I don't do binaries, can you shoot me over your recipe?

TIA

Pico Rico[_2_] 08-07-2012 11:45 PM

Pastrami

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...
>I could have sworn that the FAQ had a pastrami recipe. It didn't.
>
> When corned beef briskets were on sale in March, I got two extra and
> decided to try my hand at a pastrami.
>
> I found a rub recipe online that doesn't require a whole lot of sugar
> (feh!) and a method whereby one smokes it until 150° internal temp then
> steams it in a pressure cooker for that "deli" taste and consistency. I
> think this might be they way I'll go.
>
> Any comments or suggestions? I'd appreciate them.

well, I have a couple questions for you and others:

how long do you soak the corned beef to remove some salt?

do you air dry it at all after the soak?

I read that cold smoking gives a more traditional texture. So, if you cold
smoke do you then just cook it in an oven to the same internal temp as if
you were hot smoking?

Janet Wilder[_1_] 08-07-2012 11:57 PM

Pastrami

On 7/8/2012 5:45 PM, Pico Rico wrote:
> "Janet > wrote in message
> eb.com...
>> I could have sworn that the FAQ had a pastrami recipe. It didn't.
>>
>> When corned beef briskets were on sale in March, I got two extra and
>> decided to try my hand at a pastrami.
>>
>> I found a rub recipe online that doesn't require a whole lot of sugar
>> (feh!) and a method whereby one smokes it until 150° internal temp then
>> steams it in a pressure cooker for that "deli" taste and consistency. I
>> think this might be they way I'll go.
>>
>> Any comments or suggestions? I'd appreciate them.

> well, I have a couple questions for you and others:
>
> how long do you soak the corned beef to remove some salt?

The recipe I read said overnight. About 8 or 10 hours, I should think.
I'd also change the water mid way.

> do you air dry it at all after the soak?

I would let it dry while heating up the smoker.

> I read that cold smoking gives a more traditional texture. So, if you cold
> smoke do you then just cook it in an oven to the same internal temp as if
> you were hot smoking?

I wouldn't cold smoke it. The recipes I found all called for between
220° and 250° smoker temp. I'm not really that proficient at smoking
that I'd attempt to cold smoke. Too worried about safety.

Kent[_5_] 14-07-2012 11:54 PM

Pastrami

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...
>I could have sworn that the FAQ had a pastrami recipe. It didn't.
>
> When corned beef briskets were on sale in March, I got two extra and
> decided to try my hand at a pastrami.
>
> I found a rub recipe online that doesn't require a whole lot of sugar
> (feh!) and a method whereby one smokes it until 150° internal temp then
> steams it in a pressure cooker for that "deli" taste and consistency. I
> think this might be they way I'll go.
>
> Any comments or suggestions? I'd appreciate them.
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

Janet here's an article about making pastrami from corned beef I found on
the Virtual Weber Bullet. http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cornedbeef.html
I've a got a couple of frozen corned beef flats in the garage freezer. I'm
going to try this. My concern would be the degree of saltiness you end up
with.

Kent

Janet Wilder[_1_] 15-07-2012 04:39 AM

Pastrami

On 7/14/2012 5:54 PM, Kent wrote:
> "Janet > wrote in message
> eb.com...
>> I could have sworn that the FAQ had a pastrami recipe. It didn't.
>>
>> When corned beef briskets were on sale in March, I got two extra and
>> decided to try my hand at a pastrami.
>>
>> I found a rub recipe online that doesn't require a whole lot of sugar
>> (feh!) and a method whereby one smokes it until 150° internal temp then
>> steams it in a pressure cooker for that "deli" taste and consistency. I
>> think this might be they way I'll go.
>>
>> Any comments or suggestions? I'd appreciate them.
>> --
>> Janet Wilder
>> Way-the-heck-south Texas
>> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
>>

> Janet here's an article about making pastrami from corned beef I found on
> the Virtual Weber Bullet. http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cornedbeef.html
> I've a got a couple of frozen corned beef flats in the garage freezer. I'm
> going to try this. My concern would be the degree of saltiness you end up
> with.
>
> Kent

Thanks, Kent.

I have been soaking the corned beef since this morning with a change of
water.

I did make a note of the rub. Sounds good to me. I have pepper and
corriander and an electric coffee/spice grinder grinder.

I don't have a WSM, just a Brinkman Gourmet, so I'll be using the
smoking instructions I found somewhere else and smoking to 150° with a
wrapped rest then a steaming in the pressure cooker.

Tomorrow is the day. DH wants me to bake a rye bread to go with it.
Don't think that will happen.

I'll report back on the success of the pastrami..

Kent[_5_] 16-07-2012 01:48 AM

Pastrami

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 7/14/2012 5:54 PM, Kent wrote:
>> "Janet > wrote in message
>> eb.com...
>>> I could have sworn that the FAQ had a pastrami recipe. It didn't.
>>>
>>> When corned beef briskets were on sale in March, I got two extra and
>>> decided to try my hand at a pastrami.
>>>
>>> I found a rub recipe online that doesn't require a whole lot of sugar
>>> (feh!) and a method whereby one smokes it until 150° internal temp then
>>> steams it in a pressure cooker for that "deli" taste and consistency. I
>>> think this might be they way I'll go.
>>>
>>> Any comments or suggestions? I'd appreciate them.
>>> --
>>> Janet Wilder
>>> Way-the-heck-south Texas
>>> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
>>>

>> Janet here's an article about making pastrami from corned beef I found on
>> the Virtual Weber Bullet.
>> http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cornedbeef.html
>> I've a got a couple of frozen corned beef flats in the garage freezer.
>> I'm
>> going to try this. My concern would be the degree of saltiness you end up
>> with.
>>
>> Kent
>>

> Thanks, Kent.
>
> I have been soaking the corned beef since this morning with a change of
> water.
>
> I did make a note of the rub. Sounds good to me. I have pepper and
> corriander and an electric coffee/spice grinder grinder.
>
> I don't have a WSM, just a Brinkman Gourmet, so I'll be using the smoking
> instructions I found somewhere else and smoking to 150° with a wrapped
> rest then a steaming in the pressure cooker.
>
> Tomorrow is the day. DH wants me to bake a rye bread to go with it. Don't
> think that will happen.
>
> I'll report back on the success of the pastrami..
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

I think I'd follow the temp. recommendations. BTW, the Virtual Weber Bullet
has nothing to do with the Weber company. It's moderated by a fellow named
Chris Allingham. It's a good site for ideas about smoking in general,
particularly smoking with a bullet smoker.

Kent