FoodBanter.com

-   -   4th of July? (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/418601-4th-july.html)

[email protected] 29-06-2012 05:34 PM

4th of July?

Anybody doing anything, either this weekend or next, for the 4th?
I'm thinking chicken and brisket again as I'm still tweeking my
recipes for another competition.

Shinglhed
Eat, drink, and be merry.....and by all means over do it!

Ed Pawlowski 30-06-2012 03:14 AM

4th of July?

On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 12:34:56 -0400, wrote:

>Anybody doing anything, either this weekend or next, for the 4th?
>I'm thinking chicken and brisket again as I'm still tweeking my
>recipes for another competition.
>

>Shinglhed
>Eat, drink, and be merry.....and by all means over do it!

Not sure yet. I did pick up two briskets and may do them. I also have
a tenderloin and may grill it as a roast. My wife used some of it for
beef stroganoff tonight so we have about 4 pounds left.

Alternative is a couple of chickens on the rotisserie.

Ed Pawlowski 30-06-2012 03:15 AM

4th of July?

On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 12:44:12 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>The only piece of meat on sale is brisket from the dreaded Randall's
>(Safeway) for $1.49/lb when you buy $25 worth of other stuff. And
>they're so expensive that if you buy $25 worth of other stuff, you may
>as well just pay full price ($2.18) at Walmart or HEB for your
>brisket.
>
>-sw

Brisket here in CT was $2.58 at WalMart.

Big Jim 30-06-2012 11:54 AM

4th of July?

> wrote in message
> Anybody doing anything, either this weekend or next, for the 4th?
> I'm thinking chicken and brisket again as I'm still tweeking my
> recipes for another competition.
>

> Shinglhed
> Eat, drink, and be merry.....and by all means over do it!

Nuthin special here.
BUTT "Shinglhed
Eat, drink, and be merry.....and by all means over do it!"
I've always preferred "Eat drink and MAKE Mary"
BeeJay

monroe, of course 30-06-2012 03:14 PM

4th of July?

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 22:15:56 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 12:44:12 -0500, Sqwertz >
> > wrote:
> >
> >>The only piece of meat on sale is brisket from the dreaded Randall's
> >>(Safeway) for $1.49/lb when you buy $25 worth of other stuff. And
> >>they're so expensive that if you buy $25 worth of other stuff, you may
> >>as well just pay full price ($2.18) at Walmart or HEB for your
> >>brisket.

> > Brisket here in CT was $2.58 at WalMart.

> For some reason brisket is at his highest market price for years and
> the stores been having to limit purchases to 2 at a time for some
> reason. As if there's a brisket shortage.

I see a pennies-per-pound diff between Wally-world's brisket and my
local butcher's! I mean Whiskitty Tango Foxytrot?!?!!
Sure does explain why I haven't cooked a brisket in a coon's age.
Pork butt prices are just as frickin' ree-dick-luss a swell.
Here's to cheap chicks and markdown steaks.

monroe(meat prices like unto fireworks upupupBOOM)

Ed Pawlowski 30-06-2012 03:25 PM

4th of July?

On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 10:14:05 -0400, "monroe, of course"
> wrote:

>I see a pennies-per-pound diff between Wally-world's brisket and my
>local butcher's! I mean Whiskitty Tango Foxytrot?!?!!
>Sure does explain why I haven't cooked a brisket in a coon's age.
>Pork butt prices are just as frickin' ree-dick-luss a swell.
>Here's to cheap chicks and markdown steaks.
>
>monroe(meat prices like unto fireworks upupupBOOM)

Whole briskets at another store a about 50¢ more per pound. Flats are
very high 4.5 to $6.

Pork is cheap. I still see butts and picnics for 1.09 to 1.49 on a
regular basis. Whole boneless loins are 1.99, a price that is about
10 years old now.

bbq 02-07-2012 10:37 PM

4th of July?

On 6/30/2012 9:14 AM, monroe, of course wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 22:15:56 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> Brisket here in CT was $2.58 at WalMart.

>> For some reason brisket is at his highest market price for years and
>> the stores been having to limit purchases to 2 at a time for some
>> reason. As if there's a brisket shortage.
>>

> I see a pennies-per-pound diff between Wally-world's brisket and my
> local butcher's! I mean Whiskitty Tango Foxytrot?!?!!
> Sure does explain why I haven't cooked a brisket in a coon's age.
> Pork butt prices are just as frickin' ree-dick-luss a swell.
> Here's to cheap chicks and markdown steaks.
>
> monroe(meat prices like unto fireworks upupupBOOM)

You got that right on pork prices being way up in price to. Our chick
prices haven't been going up, but haven't seen the 99 cent sale prices
in a couple of months though.

Ribeyes were $6.99/lb for 2 weeks. Great price in these parts. I even
splurged and got 1 each week. Been so long since a had a ribeye, I
screwed up cooking both of them. One I broiled in the oven because of so
much rain or threat of rain that week. Still good, but I should have
broiled it up a level. The grilled one, I grilled veggies for 45
minutes or so, then tried to grill the steak using those coals. I
should have added more coals and gotten it hotter.

But hey, no one complained. Living alone has its benefits ;-) I get to
try it again with Strip Steaks this week at $5.99 lb. So bloody hot here
now though, not sure if I am up to grilling anything.

BBQ
--
Vegetarian

An old Indian term for poor hunter...

monroe, of course 03-07-2012 04:15 AM

4th of July?

bbq > wrote:
>So bloody hot here
> now though, not sure if I am up to grilling anything.
>
> BBQ

NS. My grill's dome thermometer read 150F without even being lit.

monroe(just toss the steaks on the sidewalk)

bbq 03-07-2012 05:00 AM

4th of July?

On 7/2/2012 10:15 PM, monroe, of course wrote:
> > wrote:
>> So bloody hot here
>> now though, not sure if I am up to grilling anything.
>>
>> BBQ

> NS. My grill's dome thermometer read 150F without even being lit.
>
> monroe(just toss the steaks on the sidewalk)

May as well add eggs and buttered bread to that "concrete griller" too.
Why waste heat? ....

BBQ

Steve B[_13_] 04-07-2012 12:42 AM

4th of July?

"bbq" > wrote

> But hey, no one complained. Living alone has its benefits ;-) I get to try
> it again with Strip Steaks this week at $5.99 lb. So bloody hot here now
> though, not sure if I am up to grilling anything.
>
> BBQ

No need to barbecue at all. Just toss it out on the sidewalk..........