FoodBanter.com

FoodBanter.com (https://www.foodbanter.com/)
-   Barbecue (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/)
-   -   Webers (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/418193-webers.html)

Steve B[_13_] 07-06-2012 10:25 PM

Webers
 
I've been seeing quite a lot of Weber "kettle" style charcoal cookers lately
at the Borg. Just a basic tub and lid and grate. Are these any good for
real barbecueing, or would one have to really pay attention and closely
watch the coals? It looks like it may be difficult to cook by the indirect
method, as many don't have a lot of square inches grill space for meat and
water tray. I actually like the larger rectangular ones, but I have seen
some of these on sale for very low prices.

What say ye?

Steve



Kent[_5_] 07-06-2012 11:47 PM

Webers
 

"Steve B" wrote in message
...
I've been seeing quite a lot of Weber "kettle" style charcoal cookers
lately at the Borg. Just a basic tub and lid and grate. Are these any
good for real barbecueing, or would one have to really pay attention and
closely watch the coals? It looks like it may be difficult to cook by the
indirect method, as many don't have a lot of square inches grill space for
meat and water tray. I actually like the larger rectangular ones, but I
have seen some of these on sale for very low prices.

What say ye?

Steve


I have the 22 inch Weber kettle and the WSM side by side. It's difficult to
hold a low 225-250 temp. on the kettle and you really can't cook something
like a pork butt. It's excellent for higher temp. indirect cooking. I always
roast standing rib roasts and turkeys that way. I use baskets on both
sides, and a foil pan between to catch drippings. You can do ribs, though
anything you're cooking takes a fair amount of ongoing tending. This is
totally unlike the WSM. With the water pan full the temp. stays at a
constant 225-250F for hours.
Try to find the "One Touch" Weber model, if you can at a good price. It
makes everything much easier. It's actually worth the extra fifty bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-751001-2...sr=8-2KentKent


Frank or Burger 08-06-2012 12:17 AM

Webers
 
On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 15:47:05 -0700, Kent wrote:

"Steve B" wrote in message
...
I've been seeing quite a lot of Weber "kettle" style charcoal cookers
lately at the Borg. Just a basic tub and lid and grate. Are these any
good for real barbecueing, or would one have to really pay attention and
closely watch the coals? It looks like it may be difficult to cook by the
indirect method, as many don't have a lot of square inches grill space for
meat and water tray. I actually like the larger rectangular ones, but I
have seen some of these on sale for very low prices.

What say ye?



Weber "kettle" Never heard of them. Are these new?


I have the 22 inch Weber kettle and the WSM side by side. It's difficult to
hold a low 225-250 temp. on the kettle and you really can't cook something
like a pork butt. It's excellent for higher temp. indirect cooking.


Can you sear a steak char rare like they do at Ruth's Chris?

Ed Pawlowski 08-06-2012 02:48 AM

Webers
 
On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 18:17:40 -0500, Frank or Burger
wrote:





Weber "kettle" Never heard of them. Are these new?

How long as Weber been in business? It is the original shape grill.



I have the 22 inch Weber kettle and the WSM side by side. It's difficult to
hold a low 225-250 temp. on the kettle and you really can't cook something
like a pork butt. It's excellent for higher temp. indirect cooking.


Can you sear a steak char rare like they do at Ruth's Chris?


Don't have one so I can't say for sure, but you can get it damned hot
from my limited experience with them.

Dave Bugg 08-06-2012 05:23 AM

Webers
 
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 18:17:40 -0500, Frank or Burger
wrote:





Weber "kettle" Never heard of them. Are these new?

How long as Weber been in business? It is the original shape grill.



I have the 22 inch Weber kettle and the WSM side by side. It's
difficult to hold a low 225-250 temp. on the kettle and you really
can't cook something like a pork butt. It's excellent for higher
temp. indirect cooking.


Can you sear a steak char rare like they do at Ruth's Chris?


Don't have one so I can't say for sure, but you can get it damned hot
from my limited experience with them.


Someone was being a tad tongue-N-cheek while playing off of Kent's
personality quirks :-)

--
A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for
dinner. Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb
contesting the vote. --- Anon



Kent[_5_] 08-06-2012 08:03 AM

Webers
 


"Frank or Burger" wrote in message
.com...

On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 15:47:05 -0700, Kent wrote:

"Steve B" wrote in message
...
I've been seeing quite a lot of Weber "kettle" style charcoal cookers
lately at the Borg. Just a basic tub and lid and grate. Are these any
good for real barbecueing, or would one have to really pay attention and
closely watch the coals? It looks like it may be difficult to cook by
the
indirect method, as many don't have a lot of square inches grill space
for
meat and water tray. I actually like the larger rectangular ones, but I
have seen some of these on sale for very low prices.

What say ye?



Weber "kettle" Never heard of them. Are these new?


I have the 22 inch Weber kettle and the WSM side by side. It's difficult
to
hold a low 225-250 temp. on the kettle and you really can't cook something
like a pork butt. It's excellent for higher temp. indirect cooking.


Can you sear a steak char rare like they do at Ruth's Chris?

Yes, of course you can. You knew that when you wrote your trolling post.



Kent[_5_] 08-06-2012 08:08 AM

Webers
 


"Frank or Burger" wrote in message
.com...

On Thu, 7 Jun 2012 15:47:05 -0700, Kent wrote:

"Steve B" wrote in message
...
I've been seeing quite a lot of Weber "kettle" style charcoal cookers
lately at the Borg. Just a basic tub and lid and grate. Are these any
good for real barbecueing, or would one have to really pay attention and
closely watch the coals? It looks like it may be difficult to cook by
the
indirect method, as many don't have a lot of square inches grill space
for
meat and water tray. I actually like the larger rectangular ones, but I
have seen some of these on sale for very low prices.

What say ye?



Weber "kettle" Never heard of them. Are these new


Go sqwertz yourself!



Steve B[_13_] 08-06-2012 02:16 PM

Webers
 

Weber "kettle" Never heard of them. Are these new


If you don't have anything to add, just STFU.



Tutall 08-06-2012 05:05 PM

Webers
 
On Jun 8, 6:16*am, "Steve B" wrote:
Weber "kettle" *Never heard of them. *Are these new


If you don't have anything to add, just STFU.


Not very mormon of you there Steve. You don't own the thread you know.

Anyway, kettles are not reccomended for BBQ. Come on, use some common
sense in regards to fuel in one.

Hows the backyard project coming? Sounds like you've dropped it.



bbq 08-06-2012 11:02 PM

Webers
 
On 6/8/2012 11:05 AM, tutall wrote:
On Jun 8, 6:16 am, "Steve wrote:
Weber "kettle" Never heard of them. Are these new


If you don't have anything to add, just STFU.


Not very mormon of you there Steve. You don't own the thread you know.

Anyway, kettles are not reccomended for BBQ. Come on, use some common
sense in regards to fuel in one.

Hows the backyard project coming? Sounds like you've dropped it.




Good catch, Tutall. He comes here looking for advice, gets lots of it,
then try's to tell someone to STFU. Guess he doesn't understand, some
have been around here for a dozen years or more. Been told to STFU
before and it hasn't happened. It's not gonna happen this time either....

I have some recommendations on using a Weber Kettle as a smoker. It can
be done. I think I'll just STFU about it....

BBQ
--
Vegetarian

An old Indian term for poor hunter...

Kent[_5_] 08-06-2012 11:11 PM

Webers
 


"Steve B" wrote in message ...


Weber "kettle" Never heard of them. Are these new


If you don't have anything to add, just STFU.


That "Weber "kettle" Never heard of them. Are these new?" came from
frank-burger, not me.

Kent




Kent[_5_] 08-06-2012 11:13 PM

Webers
 


"bbq" wrote in message
. com...

On 6/8/2012 11:05 AM, tutall wrote:
On Jun 8, 6:16 am, "Steve wrote:
Weber "kettle" Never heard of them. Are these new


If you don't have anything to add, just STFU.


Not very mormon of you there Steve. You don't own the thread you know.

Anyway, kettles are not reccomended for BBQ. Come on, use some common
sense in regards to fuel in one.

Hows the backyard project coming? Sounds like you've dropped it.




Good catch, Tutall. He comes here looking for advice, gets lots of it,
then try's to tell someone to STFU. Guess he doesn't understand, some
have been around here for a dozen years or more. Been told to STFU
before and it hasn't happened. It's not gonna happen this time either....

I have some recommendations on using a Weber Kettle as a smoker. It can
be done. I think I'll just STFU about it....

BBQ
--
Vegetarian
An old Indian term for poor hunter...


I'd sure appreciate any advice you have about maintaining a constant 250F in
the Weber kettle.

Thanks in advance,

Kent



bbq 08-06-2012 11:39 PM

Webers
 
On 6/8/2012 5:13 PM, Kent wrote:
I'd sure appreciate any advice you have about maintaining a constant
250F in the Weber kettle.

Thanks in advance,

Kent



I want Steve B to apologize for being an ass, before I post my
recommendations for his, yours and others benefit.

I will say, it's not easy. Needs to be closely monitored. Cooking
capacity is very limited. But OK for a Q'ue for 4 people.

I don't think maintaining a constant 250F can be achieved, without lots
of monitoring and adjustments(putzing around). It won't be set it and
forget it, like a WSM most of the time..

BBQ
--
Vegetarian

An old Indian term for poor hunter...

Steve B[_13_] 09-06-2012 04:11 PM

Webers
 
Sorry I went off the handle when responding to assholes.

Steve



Kent[_5_] 09-06-2012 09:29 PM

Webers
 

"bbq" wrote in message
. com...
On 6/8/2012 5:13 PM, Kent wrote:
I'd sure appreciate any advice you have about maintaining a constant
250F in the Weber kettle.

Thanks in advance,

Kent



I want Steve B to apologize for being an ass, before I post my
recommendations for his, yours and others benefit.

I will say, it's not easy. Needs to be closely monitored. Cooking
capacity is very limited. But OK for a Q'ue for 4 people.

I don't think maintaining a constant 250F can be achieved, without lots of
monitoring and adjustments(putzing around). It won't be set it and forget
it, like a WSM most of the time..

BBQ
--
Vegetarian

An old Indian term for poor hunter...



That's been my conclusion as well. It's not all that easy to maintain
300-325F in a fashion where you don't have to closely moniter.

Kent





All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FoodBanter