Old 10-06-2012, 05:51 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

Default Webers

On 6/9/2012 3:29 PM, Kent wrote:
wrote in message
. com...
On 6/8/2012 5:13 PM, Kent wrote:
I'd sure appreciate any advice you have about maintaining a constant
250F in the Weber kettle.

Thanks in advance,

Kent

I want Steve B to apologize for being an ass, before I post my
recommendations for his, yours and others benefit.

I will say, it's not easy. Needs to be closely monitored. Cooking
capacity is very limited. But OK for a Q'ue for 4 people.

I don't think maintaining a constant 250F can be achieved, without lots of
monitoring and adjustments(putzing around). It won't be set it and forget
it, like a WSM most of the time..

BBQ
--
Vegetarian

An old Indian term for poor hunter...

That's been my conclusion as well. It's not all that easy to maintain
300-325F in a fashion where you don't have to closely moniter.

Kent

I've used the rotisserie collar on my Kettle. It works OK. I used it
for a bunch of chicken parts and Turkey legs to. Temperature was
probably up around 300 - 325. I think I had to put some 6 inch bricks on
the grate and put a grate on top of the bricks.

Have not tried that set up for butt or brisket. I think it would work,
but not using the minion method. Start off with enough hot coals to get
your desired temp. Monitor and add coals as needed. Not sure if it would
require hot coals or a couple handfuls of unlit coals.

I used the Kettle (without the collar) to Q'ue up a rack of baby backs,
once. That was using the standard bank the coals on 1 side and meat
place on the opposite side method. Could 2 racks be done? Probably,
but would need to rotate them every 20 minutes or so to even out the
cooking.

Monitoring is key though. If doing a longer cook for something like
brisket or butt, best to have tasks in the yard to do or catch up on
inside chores or watch TV. No going golfing, boating or any other
activity that takes you away from the house for a few hours..

BBQ