Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Brisket north of $2!

Hi,

For the first time in recent history I had to pay more than $2/lb for
brisket (untrimmed). Last year I paid $.99/lb, but this year the lowest I
could find was $2.12/lb. That's a hefty increase! I have noticed that meat
in general has gotten more expensive, but this Memorial Day brisket was a
shocker. I know that $2 is not much for meat these days, but the real
specials on the cuts I like to do always comes around Memorial Day.

Anyhow, it came out perfect (I do the brisket on Sunday and feast on it
Monday as well) on a mix of fruit, oak and hickory. But although expensive
this years brisket was not as awe-inspiring as the cheapo one from last
year. I assume some regulars here did briskets also and I wonder if it was
me not finding the deal, or if meat has gotten that expensive? I live
Round Rock, TX.

--
//ceed (indeed)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 28 May 2012 19:20:47 -0500, ceed > wrote:

>Anyhow, it came out perfect (I do the brisket on Sunday and feast on it
>Monday as well) on a mix of fruit, oak and hickory. But although expensive
>this years brisket was not as awe-inspiring as the cheapo one from last
>year. I assume some regulars here did briskets also and I wonder if it was
>me not finding the deal, or if meat has gotten that expensive? I live
>Round Rock, TX.

I'd have paid that price, but could not even find one here. BJ's had
flats for over $3.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 28 May 2012 19:20:47 -0500, ceed wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> For the first time in recent history I had to pay more than $2/lb for
>> brisket (untrimmed). Last year I paid $.99/lb, but this year the lowest I
>> could find was $2.12/lb.

> It's been pretty solid at $2.18 all year (Walmart and HEB) up until
> last week it went up to $2.36. I check the brisket prioces almost
> every time I go to the stores. HEB and Walmart pretty much match the
> price of each other on most foods (that I pay attention to).
>
> Brisket was never $.99/lb last year except on sale. Market prices
> were much higher than that all over the country. If anybody was
> selling it at $.99/lb then they were selling it at a loss. Last year
> it was $1.58 first half of the year, $1.77 later in the year.
>
> -sw

If you call that North, then the prices from here are all the hell and
gone to Canada
$2.68 last time I was at Sam's couple weeks ago.
BeeJay

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 28, 5:20*pm, ceed > wrote:
> Hi,

Pork Butt is .20 down from last year and the chunks larger.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 28 May 2012 22:03:26 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

> Brisket was never $.99/lb last year except on sale.

Last year brisket was $.99/lb at Randall's (Safeway) the week before
Memorial Day. I usually buy quite a few for the freezer at that time. This
year Randall's was at $2.88/lb. Wal-Mart/HEB was cheaper. I do purchase a
lot from Randall's though who has great sale events year round, but you
have to keep on top of it since they normally only last for a few days.

--
//ceed (indeed)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 29, 7:57*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Tue, 29 May 2012 06:36:11 -0700 (PDT), tutall wrote:
> > On May 28, 5:20*pm, ceed > wrote:
> >> Hi,

> > Pork Butt is .20 down from last year and the chunks larger.

> Not here they aren't. *Pork butts were $1.57/lb last year. *Now
> they're up over $2.

Wierd.

Last year they were 1.99 and typically @ 10-12lbs.

Last week 1.79 and @16lbs.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 29 May 2012 08:28:08 -0400, "Big Jim" >
wrote:

>"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 28 May 2012 19:20:47 -0500, ceed wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> For the first time in recent history I had to pay more than $2/lb for
>>> brisket (untrimmed). Last year I paid $.99/lb, but this year the lowest I
>>> could find was $2.12/lb.

>> It's been pretty solid at $2.18 all year (Walmart and HEB) up until
>> last week it went up to $2.36. I check the brisket prioces almost
>> every time I go to the stores. HEB and Walmart pretty much match the
>> price of each other on most foods (that I pay attention to).
>>
>> Brisket was never $.99/lb last year except on sale. Market prices
>> were much higher than that all over the country. If anybody was
>> selling it at $.99/lb then they were selling it at a loss. Last year
>> it was $1.58 first half of the year, $1.77 later in the year.
>>
>> -sw

> If you call that North, then the prices from here are all the hell and
>gone to Canada
>$2.68 last time I was at Sam's couple weeks ago.
>BeeJay

I go to a german butcher shop that raises their own and still does the
slaughtering on premises......paid $5.85 for prime brisket.

Shinglhed
Eat, drink, and be merry.....and by all means over do it!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On May 29, 12:38*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Tue, 29 May 2012 08:07:42 -0700 (PDT), tutall wrote:

> >> Not here they aren't. *Pork butts were $1.57/lb last year. *Now
> >> they're up over $2.

> > Wierd.

> > Last year they were 1.99 and typically @ 10-12lbs.

> > Last week 1.79 and @16lbs.

> 16lb pork butt? *Do you mean a package of 2? *16lbs os the weight of
> the butt+picnic.

Yes.
Had a hell of a time cooking them Sat. as windy as it was.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 29 May 2012 09:56:34 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

> On Tue, 29 May 2012 08:59:33 -0500, ceed wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 28 May 2012 22:03:26 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Brisket was never $.99/lb last year except on sale.

>> Last year brisket was $.99/lb at Randall's (Safeway) the week before
>> Memorial Day. I usually buy quite a few for the freezer at that time.
>> This
>> year Randall's was at $2.88/lb. Wal-Mart/HEB was cheaper. I do purchase
>> lot from Randall's though who has great sale events year round, but you
>> have to keep on top of it since they normally only last for a few days.

> Randall's ****es me off so much I don't even chase their sales. A
> couple weeks ago they advertised corned beef brisket at $1.29/lb
> "While Supplies Last". They somehow "ran out" by 9:00am. They didn't
> even have a spot on the shelf for them - whcixh means they didn't have
> any of them.

I bought 8 of those. Maybe a different Randall's?

> They and Sprouts are always out of sale/coupon items.

Yeah, but Sprouts is even worse.

> And Randall's is always out of their Jalapeno Cheese bagels early in
> the morning as well. I don't even make them a destination anymore.
> Except for maybe 3-4 ad items a week, all their sale prices are still
> more than HEB's regular prices. I don't understand why people shop
> there.

I go to Randall's once a week for specials. I like their store quite a
bit. What I do not like is what HEB does and have 10 10 item registers
open during rush hour so good customers who are shopping $200 worth of
groceries have to wait on the two remaining no limit registers. Why is it
that the customers that leave the least get the best service in grocery
stores? The equivalent would be going to a car dealership to look for a
top of the line model and be told to wait in line while the ones buying
sub compacts are helped right away. I would leave.

--
//ceed (indeed)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 29 May 2012 14:38:13 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>16lb pork butt? Do you mean a package of 2? 16lbs os the weight of
>the butt+picnic.
>
>I think Costco here was $2.08 a couple week ago. Regular grocery
>store is $1.99-$2.19.
>
>-sw

Two different stores here were 1.29 for bone in butt. Baby backs were
$5.99.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 5/28/2012 7:20 PM, ceed wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For the first time in recent history I had to pay more than $2/lb for
> brisket (untrimmed). Last year I paid $.99/lb, but this year the lowest
> I could find was $2.12/lb. That's a hefty increase! I have noticed that
> meat in general has gotten more expensive, but this Memorial Day brisket
> was a shocker. I know that $2 is not much for meat these days, but the
> real specials on the cuts I like to do always comes around Memorial Day.
>
> Anyhow, it came out perfect (I do the brisket on Sunday and feast on it
> Monday as well) on a mix of fruit, oak and hickory. But although
> expensive this years brisket was not as awe-inspiring as the cheapo one
> from last year. I assume some regulars here did briskets also and I
> wonder if it was me not finding the deal, or if meat has gotten that
> expensive? I live Round Rock, TX.

At $2.12 consider yourself lucky. Way north of Round Rock(Minnesota),
prices are further north :-) . Walmart is around $2.98. Restaurant
Depot is $2.19. Those were prices from 2 months ago. Restaurant Depot,
you need to buy a case of 80 lbs to get that price.

Meat prices are going up. Except chicken parts, excluding wings, can be
bought here for $.99. Pork Butts have gone from $1.99 to $2.99 in the
last year.. Spares have not gone up, but they don't go on sale either,
like they used to. Though Cub did decide this week to put them on sale
at $1.88. They tried putting them on sale last winter at $2.49. That's
a sale price?, I thought. Normal price is $2.99. I passed. Probably they
froze the unsold ones and now that's what is on sale for $1.88. Ad says
previously frozen.

BBQ
--
Vegetarian

An old Indian term for poor hunter...
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 29 May 2012 22:59:49 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>> Two different stores here were 1.29 for bone in butt.

>As a sale, right? I don't care about sale prices unless they're here
>and now :-) I'm talking regular market prices.
>
>-sw

I saw no mention of a sale. I'll have to check back to be sure. Seems
like pork prices really dip once in a while. Boneless loins are
hovering in the $2.29 range too.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 29 May 2012 21:05:24 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>> I bought 8 of those. Maybe a different Randall's?

> If you're in Round Rock then my Randall's is the other side of the
> Universe

The Universe or the University, or both?

--
//ceed (indeed)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 29 May 2012 21:40:50 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>> I go to a german butcher shop that raises their own and still does the
>> slaughtering on premises......paid $5.85 for prime brisket.
>>

> Can it really be that much better to justify the price? Sure, I'll
> pay more for top quality steaks, but not for brisket.

Isn't the whole brisket challenge being able to make something great out
old leather?

--
//ceed (indeed)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >, Sqwertz >
wrote:

> On Thu, 31 May 2012 19:58:30 -0500, ceed wrote:
>
> > Just picked up four flats from Wal-Mart at $1.53/lb. They probably took on
> > too much for Memorial Day. Great deal though!

> I bought 2 packages each of hamburger and hot dog buns for $.25/ea!!
>
> :-P
>
> -sw

way to go moose

North America sf[_9_] General Cooking 28 16-06-2015 10:35 PM
North America Gary General Cooking 2 13-06-2015 04:43 PM
North America La Mirada General Cooking 0 13-06-2015 01:51 AM
Brisket versus brisket Edwin Pawlowski Barbecue 6 06-08-2005 12:50 AM