FoodBanter.com

FoodBanter.com (https://www.foodbanter.com/)
-   Barbecue (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/)
-   -   Brisket north of $2! (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/417972-brisket-north-2-a.html)

ceed[_10_] 29-05-2012 01:20 AM

Brisket north of $2!
 
Hi,

For the first time in recent history I had to pay more than $2/lb for
brisket (untrimmed). Last year I paid $.99/lb, but this year the lowest I
could find was $2.12/lb. That's a hefty increase! I have noticed that meat
in general has gotten more expensive, but this Memorial Day brisket was a
shocker. I know that $2 is not much for meat these days, but the real
specials on the cuts I like to do always comes around Memorial Day.

Anyhow, it came out perfect (I do the brisket on Sunday and feast on it
Monday as well) on a mix of fruit, oak and hickory. But although expensive
this years brisket was not as awe-inspiring as the cheapo one from last
year. I assume some regulars here did briskets also and I wonder if it was
me not finding the deal, or if meat has gotten that expensive? I live
Round Rock, TX.

--
//ceed (indeed)

Ed Pawlowski 29-05-2012 02:56 AM

Brisket north of $2!
 
On Mon, 28 May 2012 19:20:47 -0500, ceed wrote:

Anyhow, it came out perfect (I do the brisket on Sunday and feast on it
Monday as well) on a mix of fruit, oak and hickory. But although expensive
this years brisket was not as awe-inspiring as the cheapo one from last
year. I assume some regulars here did briskets also and I wonder if it was
me not finding the deal, or if meat has gotten that expensive? I live
Round Rock, TX.


I'd have paid that price, but could not even find one here. BJ's had
flats for over $3.

Big Jim 29-05-2012 01:28 PM

Brisket north of $2!
 

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
...
On Mon, 28 May 2012 19:20:47 -0500, ceed wrote:

Hi,

For the first time in recent history I had to pay more than $2/lb for
brisket (untrimmed). Last year I paid $.99/lb, but this year the lowest I
could find was $2.12/lb.


It's been pretty solid at $2.18 all year (Walmart and HEB) up until
last week it went up to $2.36. I check the brisket prioces almost
every time I go to the stores. HEB and Walmart pretty much match the
price of each other on most foods (that I pay attention to).

Brisket was never $.99/lb last year except on sale. Market prices
were much higher than that all over the country. If anybody was
selling it at $.99/lb then they were selling it at a loss. Last year
it was $1.58 first half of the year, $1.77 later in the year.

-sw


If you call that North, then the prices from here are all the hell and
gone to Canada
$2.68 last time I was at Sam's couple weeks ago.
BeeJay



Tutall 29-05-2012 02:36 PM

Brisket north of $2!
 
On May 28, 5:20*pm, ceed wrote:
Hi,


Pork Butt is .20 down from last year and the chunks larger.



ceed[_10_] 29-05-2012 02:59 PM

Brisket north of $2!
 
On Mon, 28 May 2012 22:03:26 -0500, Sqwertz
wrote:

Brisket was never $.99/lb last year except on sale.


Last year brisket was $.99/lb at Randall's (Safeway) the week before
Memorial Day. I usually buy quite a few for the freezer at that time. This
year Randall's was at $2.88/lb. Wal-Mart/HEB was cheaper. I do purchase a
lot from Randall's though who has great sale events year round, but you
have to keep on top of it since they normally only last for a few days.

--
//ceed (indeed)

Tutall 29-05-2012 04:07 PM

Brisket north of $2!
 
On May 29, 7:57*am, Sqwertz wrote:
On Tue, 29 May 2012 06:36:11 -0700 (PDT), tutall wrote:
On May 28, 5:20*pm, ceed wrote:
Hi,


Pork Butt is .20 down from last year and the chunks larger.


Not here they aren't. *Pork butts were $1.57/lb last year. *Now
they're up over $2.


Wierd.

Last year they were 1.99 and typically @ 10-12lbs.

Last week 1.79 and @16lbs.

[email protected] 29-05-2012 07:01 PM

Brisket north of $2!
 
On Tue, 29 May 2012 08:28:08 -0400, "Big Jim"
wrote:


"Sqwertz" wrote in message
...
On Mon, 28 May 2012 19:20:47 -0500, ceed wrote:

Hi,

For the first time in recent history I had to pay more than $2/lb for
brisket (untrimmed). Last year I paid $.99/lb, but this year the lowest I
could find was $2.12/lb.


It's been pretty solid at $2.18 all year (Walmart and HEB) up until
last week it went up to $2.36. I check the brisket prioces almost
every time I go to the stores. HEB and Walmart pretty much match the
price of each other on most foods (that I pay attention to).

Brisket was never $.99/lb last year except on sale. Market prices
were much higher than that all over the country. If anybody was
selling it at $.99/lb then they were selling it at a loss. Last year
it was $1.58 first half of the year, $1.77 later in the year.

-sw


If you call that North, then the prices from here are all the hell and
gone to Canada
$2.68 last time I was at Sam's couple weeks ago.
BeeJay


I go to a german butcher shop that raises their own and still does the
slaughtering on premises......paid $5.85 for prime brisket.






Shinglhed
Eat, drink, and be merry.....and by all means over do it!

Tutall 29-05-2012 08:51 PM

Brisket north of $2!
 
On May 29, 12:38*pm, Sqwertz wrote:
On Tue, 29 May 2012 08:07:42 -0700 (PDT), tutall wrote:
On May 29, 7:57*am, Sqwertz wrote:
On Tue, 29 May 2012 06:36:11 -0700 (PDT), tutall wrote:
On May 28, 5:20*pm, ceed wrote:
Hi,


Pork Butt is .20 down from last year and the chunks larger.


Not here they aren't. *Pork butts were $1.57/lb last year. *Now
they're up over $2.


Wierd.


Last year they were 1.99 and typically @ 10-12lbs.


Last week 1.79 and @16lbs.


16lb pork butt? *Do you mean a package of 2? *16lbs os the weight of
the butt+picnic.


Yes.
Had a hell of a time cooking them Sat. as windy as it was.

ceed[_10_] 30-05-2012 12:36 AM

Brisket north of $2!
 
On Tue, 29 May 2012 09:56:34 -0500, Sqwertz
wrote:

On Tue, 29 May 2012 08:59:33 -0500, ceed wrote:

On Mon, 28 May 2012 22:03:26 -0500, Sqwertz
wrote:

Brisket was never $.99/lb last year except on sale.


Last year brisket was $.99/lb at Randall's (Safeway) the week before
Memorial Day. I usually buy quite a few for the freezer at that time.
This
year Randall's was at $2.88/lb. Wal-Mart/HEB was cheaper. I do purchase
a
lot from Randall's though who has great sale events year round, but you
have to keep on top of it since they normally only last for a few days.


Randall's ****es me off so much I don't even chase their sales. A
couple weeks ago they advertised corned beef brisket at $1.29/lb
"While Supplies Last". They somehow "ran out" by 9:00am. They didn't
even have a spot on the shelf for them - whcixh means they didn't have
any of them.


I bought 8 of those. Maybe a different Randall's?

They and Sprouts are always out of sale/coupon items.


Yeah, but Sprouts is even worse.

And Randall's is always out of their Jalapeno Cheese bagels early in
the morning as well. I don't even make them a destination anymore.
Except for maybe 3-4 ad items a week, all their sale prices are still
more than HEB's regular prices. I don't understand why people shop
there.


I go to Randall's once a week for specials. I like their store quite a
bit. What I do not like is what HEB does and have 10 10 item registers
open during rush hour so good customers who are shopping $200 worth of
groceries have to wait on the two remaining no limit registers. Why is it
that the customers that leave the least get the best service in grocery
stores? The equivalent would be going to a car dealership to look for a
top of the line model and be told to wait in line while the ones buying
sub compacts are helped right away. I would leave.

-sw



--
//ceed (indeed)

Ed Pawlowski 30-05-2012 03:40 AM

Brisket north of $2!
 
On Tue, 29 May 2012 14:01:18 -0400, wrote:


I go to a german butcher shop that raises their own and still does the
slaughtering on premises......paid $5.85 for prime brisket.


Can it really be that much better to justify the price? Sure, I'll
pay more for top quality steaks, but not for brisket.

Ed Pawlowski 30-05-2012 03:43 AM

Brisket north of $2!
 
On Tue, 29 May 2012 14:38:13 -0500, Sqwertz
wrote:




16lb pork butt? Do you mean a package of 2? 16lbs os the weight of
the butt+picnic.

I think Costco here was $2.08 a couple week ago. Regular grocery
store is $1.99-$2.19.

-sw


Two different stores here were 1.29 for bone in butt. Baby backs were
$5.99.

bbq 30-05-2012 07:38 AM

Brisket north of $2!
 
On 5/28/2012 7:20 PM, ceed wrote:
Hi,

For the first time in recent history I had to pay more than $2/lb for
brisket (untrimmed). Last year I paid $.99/lb, but this year the lowest
I could find was $2.12/lb. That's a hefty increase! I have noticed that
meat in general has gotten more expensive, but this Memorial Day brisket
was a shocker. I know that $2 is not much for meat these days, but the
real specials on the cuts I like to do always comes around Memorial Day.

Anyhow, it came out perfect (I do the brisket on Sunday and feast on it
Monday as well) on a mix of fruit, oak and hickory. But although
expensive this years brisket was not as awe-inspiring as the cheapo one
from last year. I assume some regulars here did briskets also and I
wonder if it was me not finding the deal, or if meat has gotten that
expensive? I live Round Rock, TX.



At $2.12 consider yourself lucky. Way north of Round Rock(Minnesota),
prices are further north :-) . Walmart is around $2.98. Restaurant
Depot is $2.19. Those were prices from 2 months ago. Restaurant Depot,
you need to buy a case of 80 lbs to get that price.

Meat prices are going up. Except chicken parts, excluding wings, can be
bought here for $.99. Pork Butts have gone from $1.99 to $2.99 in the
last year.. Spares have not gone up, but they don't go on sale either,
like they used to. Though Cub did decide this week to put them on sale
at $1.88. They tried putting them on sale last winter at $2.49. That's
a sale price?, I thought. Normal price is $2.99. I passed. Probably they
froze the unsold ones and now that's what is on sale for $1.88. Ad says
previously frozen.

BBQ
--
Vegetarian

An old Indian term for poor hunter...

Ed Pawlowski 30-05-2012 10:44 AM

Brisket north of $2!
 
On Tue, 29 May 2012 22:59:49 -0500, Sqwertz
wrote:


Two different stores here were 1.29 for bone in butt.


As a sale, right? I don't care about sale prices unless they're here
and now :-) I'm talking regular market prices.

-sw


I saw no mention of a sale. I'll have to check back to be sure. Seems
like pork prices really dip once in a while. Boneless loins are
hovering in the $2.29 range too.

[email protected] 30-05-2012 12:02 PM

Brisket north of $2!
 
On Tue, 29 May 2012 22:40:50 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Tue, 29 May 2012 14:01:18 -0400, wrote:


I go to a german butcher shop that raises their own and still does the
slaughtering on premises......paid $5.85 for prime brisket.


Can it really be that much better to justify the price? Sure, I'll
pay more for top quality steaks, but not for brisket.


Honestly, I thought the same thing...until I tried every other meat
market in my area. Yes there really is a big difference.






Shinglhed
Eat, drink, and be merry.....and by all means over do it!

ceed[_10_] 30-05-2012 03:23 PM

Brisket north of $2!
 
On Tue, 29 May 2012 21:05:24 -0500, Sqwertz
wrote:

I bought 8 of those. Maybe a different Randall's?

If you're in Round Rock then my Randall's is the other side of the
Universe


The Universe or the University, or both? :)

--
//ceed (indeed)


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FoodBanter