FoodBanter.com

-   -   Deal or Dud? (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/417929-deal-dud.html)

ChairMan[_3_] 27-05-2012 08:31 AM

Deal or Dud?

Anybody have an opinion on how well this cheaper model works?

http://www.jr.com/polder/pe/PDR_THM3...dSale.05252012

ChairMan[_3_] 27-05-2012 09:19 PM

Deal or Dud?

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 27 May 2012 02:31:22 -0500, ChairMan wrote:
>
>> Anybody have an opinion on how well this cheaper model works?
>>
>> http://www.jr.com/polder/pe/PDR_THM3...dSale.05252012

> Does it beep when it reaches 98.6F?
>
> -sw

haha...... I guess it would if you set to beep then

ChairMan[_2_] 28-05-2012 02:06 AM

Deal or Dud?

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 27 May 2012 15:19:49 -0500, ChairMan wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> Does it beep when it reaches 98.6F?

>> haha...... I guess it would if you set to beep then

> It just looked soooo... Anal probeish. Like something from the doctor
> or vets office.
>
> -sw

yabbut, doesn't Polder make another model(same probe style) that runs about
$100?
i thought this might be a cheaper alternative

anal probeish?? you been peekin down at the dock?

Tutall 28-05-2012 06:39 AM

Deal or Dud?

On May 27, 6:52*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Sun, 27 May 2012 20:06:17 -0500, ChairMan wrote:
> > yabbut, doesn't Polder make another model(same probe style) that runs about
> > $100?
> > i thought this might be a cheaper alternative

> I've never seen a Polder over $30. And looking at their catalog
> confirms that (29.99 for a dual probe).
>
> Perhaps you're thinking of Thermapen.
>
> -sw

Am sold on Thermapens now. Got the first one 4 years ago or so,
finally replaced the first battery just recently and yesterday,
stupidly set it down on the firebox. ( it's a flat spot I use a lot
when grilling, so bad habit )
Well, didn't notice my mistake for mebbe 30 seconds and melted plastic
was left behind. Once the thing cooled back down it worked fine again.

But shit, for $20 this Polder looks great. They've got a decent
reputation, so go for it. let out your inner proctologist and probe
your meat.

ChairMan[_3_] 28-05-2012 08:23 AM

Deal or Dud?

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 27 May 2012 20:06:17 -0500, ChairMan wrote:
>
>> yabbut, doesn't Polder make another model(same probe style) that
>> runs about $100?
>> i thought this might be a cheaper alternative

> I've never seen a Polder over $30. And looking at their catalog
> confirms that (29.99 for a dual probe).
>
> Perhaps you're thinking of Thermapen.
>
> -sw

perhaps your right

ChairMan[_3_] 28-05-2012 08:24 AM

Deal or Dud?

tutall wrote:
> On May 27, 6:52 pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
>> On Sun, 27 May 2012 20:06:17 -0500, ChairMan wrote:
>>> yabbut, doesn't Polder make another model(same probe style) that
>>> runs about $100?
>>> i thought this might be a cheaper alternative

>> I've never seen a Polder over $30. And looking at their catalog
>> confirms that (29.99 for a dual probe).
>>
>> Perhaps you're thinking of Thermapen.
>>
>> -sw

> Am sold on Thermapens now. Got the first one 4 years ago or so,
> finally replaced the first battery just recently and yesterday,
> stupidly set it down on the firebox. ( it's a flat spot I use a lot
> when grilling, so bad habit )
> Well, didn't notice my mistake for mebbe 30 seconds and melted
> plastic
> was left behind. Once the thing cooled back down it worked fine
> again.
>
> But shit, for $20 this Polder looks great. They've got a decent
> reputation, so go for it. let out your inner proctologist and probe
> your meat.

thats what I thought, 14.99 is worth the gamble w/ free shipping and
n/tax
what the hell

Ed Pawlowski 28-05-2012 01:57 PM

Deal or Dud?

On Mon, 28 May 2012 02:24:58 -0500, "ChairMan" > wrote:

>> But shit, for $20 this Polder looks great. They've got a decent
>> reputation, so go for it. let out your inner proctologist and probe
>> your meat.

>thats what I thought, 14.99 is worth the gamble w/ free shipping and
>n/tax
>what the hell

I thought about it too, but they are our of stock.

Amazon has them for $17.00 though, potentially free shipping if you
order $25 or more.