FoodBanter.com

-   -   Memorial Day BBQ (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/417850-memorial-day-bbq.html)

[email protected] 23-05-2012 01:12 PM

Memorial Day BBQ

What's everyone doing for bbq this weekend?
I'm going to do a full packer brisket and, as I still haven't nailed
down the brisket secret yet, am going to try something different. I'm
going to inject the brisket and cook at a higher temp for a shorter
period of time.
I'll probably also do a pork shoulder just in case I ruin the brisket.
As a side I'm going to smike some fresh trout also.

Shinglhed
Eat, drink, and be merry.....and by all means over do it!

Ed Pawlowski 24-05-2012 03:08 AM

Memorial Day BBQ

On Wed, 23 May 2012 08:12:32 -0400, wrote:

>What's everyone doing for bbq this weekend?
>I'm going to do a full packer brisket and, as I still haven't nailed
>down the brisket secret yet, am going to try something different. I'm
>going to inject the brisket and cook at a higher temp for a shorter
>period of time.
>I'll probably also do a pork shoulder just in case I ruin the brisket.
>As a side I'm going to smike some fresh trout also.

Could not get a brisket. Pork butt for sure, but if I can't come up
with a brisket, probably a large beef roast of some sort, like a top
round.

I cook my briskets at 275 and they come out very tender. Never
injected one, never found the need.

ChairMan[_3_] 24-05-2012 06:37 AM

Memorial Day BBQ

wrote:
> What's everyone doing for bbq this weekend?
> I'm going to do a full packer brisket and, as I still haven't nailed
> down the brisket secret yet, am going to try something different. I'm
> going to inject the brisket and cook at a higher temp for a shorter
> period of time.
> I'll probably also do a pork shoulder just in case I ruin the
> brisket.
> As a side I'm going to smike some fresh trout also.
>

> Shinglhed
> Eat, drink, and be merry.....and by all means over do it!

doing a couple of butts, some ribs probably, maybe pick up a brisket
and some sausage and just cook all weekend.
throw a couple birds with some breast too. what the hell

Steve B[_13_] 24-05-2012 06:20 PM

Memorial Day BBQ

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 23 May 2012 08:12:32 -0400, wrote:
>
>>What's everyone doing for bbq this weekend?
>>I'm going to do a full packer brisket and, as I still haven't nailed
>>down the brisket secret yet, am going to try something different. I'm
>>going to inject the brisket and cook at a higher temp for a shorter
>>period of time.
>>I'll probably also do a pork shoulder just in case I ruin the brisket.
>>As a side I'm going to smike some fresh trout also.
>>

> Could not get a brisket. Pork butt for sure, but if I can't come up
> with a brisket, probably a large beef roast of some sort, like a top
> round.
>
> I cook my briskets at 275 and they come out very tender. Never
> injected one, never found the need.

To me, it places more flavor deeper in the meat.

Steve

Steve B[_13_] 24-05-2012 06:28 PM

Memorial Day BBQ

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 23 May 2012 08:12:32 -0400, wrote:
>
>>What's everyone doing for bbq this weekend?
>>I'm going to do a full packer brisket and, as I still haven't nailed
>>down the brisket secret yet, am going to try something different. I'm
>>going to inject the brisket and cook at a higher temp for a shorter
>>period of time.
>>I'll probably also do a pork shoulder just in case I ruin the brisket.
>>As a side I'm going to smike some fresh trout also.

I love good smoked trout.

Sorry for the double post. Stupid buttons. My friend buys a fish smoking
spice packet from Sportsman Paradise here locally. They are BIG fishermen.
He owns a company where he makes lures, up to a foot long, and is famous all
over the world.

Anyway, they get Utah trout, and some big ones, fillet them without one
bone, and smoke them. You can eat them until you feel sick. The flavoring
would be available at the Sportsman Paradise website. Mike's lures are at
www.msslammer.com if you're into fishing. He ships all over the world, and
they're the real deal for catching BIG fish.

Steve

[email protected] 25-05-2012 01:18 PM

Memorial Day BBQ

On Thu, 24 May 2012 10:28:55 -0700, "Steve B" >
wrote:

>"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 23 May 2012 08:12:32 -0400, wrote:
>>
>>>What's everyone doing for bbq this weekend?
>>>I'm going to do a full packer brisket and, as I still haven't nailed
>>>down the brisket secret yet, am going to try something different. I'm
>>>going to inject the brisket and cook at a higher temp for a shorter
>>>period of time.
>>>I'll probably also do a pork shoulder just in case I ruin the brisket.
>>>As a side I'm going to smike some fresh trout also.

>I love good smoked trout.
>
>Sorry for the double post. Stupid buttons. My friend buys a fish smoking
>spice packet from Sportsman Paradise here locally. They are BIG fishermen.
>He owns a company where he makes lures, up to a foot long, and is famous all
>over the world.
>
>Anyway, they get Utah trout, and some big ones, fillet them without one
>bone, and smoke them. You can eat them until you feel sick. The flavoring
>would be available at the Sportsman Paradise website. Mike's lures are at

www.msslammer.com if you're into fishing. He ships all over the world, and
>they're the real deal for catching BIG fish.
>
>Steve

I don't really need lures as I raise my own trout in a pond I have out
in the woods. This is the fifth year for the batch I have now and they
average about 26". This year I'll probably fish them all out and start
over again.
Cathcing them only takes bait on a hook and a little patience.

Steve B[_13_] 25-05-2012 04:06 PM

Memorial Day BBQ

In observance to this somber event, to honor all our military men, past,
present, and future, and to honor the Commander in Chief, and his
beliefs.....................

WE'RE COOKING POODLE!

Steve

monroe, of course 26-05-2012 04:35 PM

Memorial Day BBQ

Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Fri, 25 May 2012 08:06:53 -0700, Steve B wrote:
>
> > In observance to this somber event, to honor all our military men, past,
> > present, and future, and to honor the Commander in Chief, and his
> > beliefs.....................
> >
> > WE'RE COOKING POODLE!

> Sweet. Dumbass.

No shit. Not even a clue as to what *size* of poodle.
I'd rather have a heaping helping of deep-fried sister-wife.

monroe(wondering whyTF i don't plonk this SteveB numbnuts)

Tutall 29-05-2012 02:41 PM

Memorial Day BBQ

On May 29, 4:57*am, wrote:

> Well the party's over and the pics are up. Here's the addresshttp://www.4shared.com/folder/319xK1Zu/Memorial_Day_2012.html

Naked bagpipers and a lone dryer hose? What the hell were y'all up to
anyway?

Good times no doubt.

[email protected] 29-05-2012 06:59 PM

Memorial Day BBQ

On Tue, 29 May 2012 06:41:59 -0700 (PDT), tutall >
wrote:

>On May 29, 4:57*am, wrote:
>
>> Well the party's over and the pics are up. Here's the addresshttp://www.4shared.com/folder/319xK1Zu/Memorial_Day_2012.html
>>

>Naked bagpipers and a lone dryer hose? What the hell were y'all up to
>anyway?
>

>Good times no doubt.

Hey, come prepared for some crazy S#!t or stay home

Ed Pawlowski 30-05-2012 03:46 AM

Memorial Day BBQ

On Tue, 29 May 2012 07:57:00 -0400, wrote:

>Well the party's over and the pics are up. Here's the address

http://www.4shared.com/folder/319xK1..._Day_2012.html

What's with the naked bagpipes?

[email protected] 30-05-2012 12:03 PM

Memorial Day BBQ

On Tue, 29 May 2012 22:46:05 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On Tue, 29 May 2012 07:57:00 -0400, wrote:
>

>>Well the party's over and the pics are up. Here's the address

http://www.4shared.com/folder/319xK1..._Day_2012.html

>What's with the naked bagpipes?

Not naked, just had his shirt offf. The temps were around 93 that day
and 100% humidity.

Tutall 30-05-2012 03:00 PM

Memorial Day BBQ

On May 30, 4:03*am, wrote:
> On Tue, 29 May 2012 22:46:05 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
> >On Tue, 29 May 2012 07:57:00 -0400, wrote:

> >>Well the party's over and the pics are up. Here's the address
> >>http://www.4shared.com/folder/319xK1..._Day_2012.html

> >What's with the naked bagpipes?

> Not naked, just had his shirt offf. The temps were around 93 that day
> and 100% humidity.

Yer spoiling our fantasies of sweaty topless bagpipers in short skirts
and no underwear.

And how's the dryer hose fit in again? Is it a spare part for the
bagpipe?

[email protected] 31-05-2012 12:18 PM

Memorial Day BBQ

wrote:

http://www.4shared.com/folder/319xK1..._Day_2012.html

>>>What's with the naked bagpipes?

>> Not naked, just had his shirt offf.

>Probably wearing a skirt

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Ed Pawlowski 05-06-2012 03:03 AM

Memorial Day BBQ

On Mon, 4 Jun 2012 14:14:36 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>The whole idea of training judges to identify a strict and narrow
>range of attributes and telling you how to score it is a total crock.
>Somebody needs to invent an alternate BBQ circuit based on people's
>choice.
>
>-sw

Taste is too subjective, IMO. In competition, you are trying to cook
to satisfy what is deemed the perfect brisket, or rib, or whatever.
Now, that is good stuff, or course, but many people think some other
taste may be better.

Sort of like telling a group of painters to paint a wall and it should
be the perfect shade of blue for judging. I don't expect everyone
likes my favorite flavor of ice cream the best, same with bbq.

I've been judged by friends and family and they think it is number 1.
Good enough for me. And I get to sleep with the trophy.

monroe, of course 05-06-2012 04:54 PM

Memorial Day BBQ

Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Jun 2012 14:14:36 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>

> >The whole idea of training judges to identify a strict and narrow
> >range of attributes and telling you how to score it is a total crock.
> >Somebody needs to invent an alternate BBQ circuit based on people's
> >choice.
> >
> >-sw

> Taste is too subjective, IMO. In competition, you are trying to cook
> to satisfy what is deemed the perfect brisket, or rib, or whatever.
> Now, that is good stuff, or course, but many people think some other
> taste may be better.
>
> Sort of like telling a group of painters to paint a wall and it should
> be the perfect shade of blue for judging. I don't expect everyone
> likes my favorite flavor of ice cream the best, same with bbq.
>
> I've been judged by friends and family and they think it is number 1.
> Good enough for me. And I get to sleep with the trophy.

i would contend that competition Q strives to be something more uniform
and generic simply as a result of being judged. Variety might be the
spice of life but not in competition.

monroe(not even close to winning 1st place)