Old 05-05-2012, 05:31 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Fried chicken. How?

Hi,

I know this is slightly off topic, but I bet most of you know a thing or
two about cooking outside of the pit. Anyway, I'm going to (deep) fry
chicken tonight. I have a deep fryer, but have never been able to get the
"KFC crispness" and flavor at home. I've done this around 10 times trying
different recipes, even one stating it revelas the secret spice blend KFC
uses. I'm not saying I need that exact flavor of KFC, but I would like the
thick super-crispy crust they're getting on their chicken. I've tried a
couple of the store bought boxed chicken fry product and I have tried to
make it myself. It's all been good, but not perfect. I've heard someone
say that frying twice may add to the crispiness, but I haven't tried it
yet.

So, if anyone here has the secret to perfect (southern) fried chicken,
please disclose it here because I'm going to need it tonight with guest
over expecting my fried chicken to be on par with my (now locally famous)
brisket!

--
//ceed (indeed)

Thank you for flying Opera: http://www.opera.com

Old 05-05-2012, 07:17 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"ceed" wrote in message
news
[...]

Try panko bread crumbs and apply two layers. The following works great!
First season the chicken, then dust it with flour, dip it into egg white and
dip it in the panko crumbs. I dip it again into egg white and apply a second
layer of panko. That's optional, though it does give a thicker crust. It
also works well for any kind of fish. You could also remove the chicken skin
and apply panko to that. I think it would work well without drying the meat
out. The panko crumbs have a much better taste than the usual crumbs.

Finally, make sure your oil is hot enough without breaking down. Peanut oil
is best, though it has become expensive, and it does add a bit of taste.

Cheers,

Kent

Old 05-05-2012, 09:11 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 05 May 2012 13:17:25 -0500, Kent wrote:

"ceed" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks! I guess I would use this method with any kind of fry like
Louisiana Chicken Fry which I think has a good flavor. I

Finally, make sure your oil is hot enough without breaking down. Peanut
oil
is best, though it has become expensive, and it does add a bit of taste.

I've got peanut oil in the fryer. I tried some other oil, but peanut oil
seems better.

Cheers,

Kent

Old 05-05-2012, 11:54 PM posted to alt.food.barbecue

http://www.cmt.com/news/feature/1671...-chicken.jhtml
Old 13-05-2012, 02:25 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

"ceed" wrote in message
[...]

You probably need to cook it at a hotter temperature. Heat the oil to
400-425 (not higher!).

Enjoy!

Old 14-05-2012, 02:09 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
On Sun, 13 May 2012 10:44:08 -0500, Shawn Martin wrote:

Worked at KFC in a past life. The pressure cooked chicken is not crispy at
all. He's thinking of the Extra Crispy, which is twice breaded, and fried
at about 350. What makes it Extra Crispy is that it is kept under heat
lamps, instead of the warmer cabinet. BTW: The BBQ is day old Extra Crispy,
dipped in BBQ sauce, and heated up. :-(

They still make that BBQ chicken crap? I remember that crap from when
I was ~7 years old. I don't think they had extra crispy chicken yet.

I went to KFC a couple months ago and I couldn't believe the prices.
A 10pc bucket was $18 and 3pc meal with 2 small sides was $6.50 or so.
I left empty handed.

-sw

I remember when they had BBQ ribs. Perhaps just in ca. Not too impressed. I
think they gave up.

Greg