Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Mustard & rub on a pork butt

When smoking brisket, I usually I usually swab it with mustard before
applying the rub. It works well. Also use mustard on fish sometimes.

I was wondering about swabbing a pork butt with mustard before applying the
rub. Has anyone done this? How did it work?

Thanks, Bob

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 04:13:33 -0500, "Bob-tx" <Live Spam free> wrote:

>When smoking brisket, I usually I usually swab it with mustard before
>applying the rub. It works well. Also use mustard on fish sometimes.
>
>I was wondering about swabbing a pork butt with mustard before applying the
>rub. Has anyone done this? How did it work?
>
>Thanks, Bob

Lots of people do it all the time. It just acts like glue to keep the
rub on and gives no real added flavor.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 4/20/2012 4:13 AM, Bob-tx wrote:
> When smoking brisket, I usually I usually swab it with mustard before
> applying the rub. It works well. Also use mustard on fish sometimes.
>
> I was wondering about swabbing a pork butt with mustard before applying
> the rub. Has anyone done this? How did it work?
>
> Thanks, Bob

Applying mustard to a pork butt is a common practice. It helps your rub
adhere to the butt. I've been told it also acts as a tenderizer to.
For straight up Q'en, it works well. I've been told my butts or ribs
too, look a bit jaundice for photography purposes. But that is a pic of
just before placing on the WSM. Once it starts to cook, it looks great.

IMO, doesn't matter. Do it if you want. The butt is not going to be so
dry, that rub will not adhere if you choose NOT to apply CYM.

I don't think CYM adds much, if any flavor. So it becomes a matter for
personal preference..

You do know that CYM means Cheap Yellow Mustard, don't you? I have
never heard of anyone recommending anything more then CYM. But hey, if
you want to experiment, please let us know of your results...

BBQ
--
Vegetarian

An old Indian term for poor hunter...
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Friday, April 20, 2012 5:13:33 AM UTC-4, Bob-tx wrote:
> When smoking brisket, I usually I usually swab it with mustard before
> applying the rub. It works well. Also use mustard on fish sometimes.
>
> I was wondering about swabbing a pork butt with mustard before applying the
> rub. Has anyone done this? How did it work?
>
> Thanks, Bob

We do it with all pork roasts in the smoker. I have 2 in the refrig right now that I need to put rub on, and then freeze one. The other one is going to a party Sat night at our daughters. Dh also puts CYM on ribs.

Pork Butt! Sky General Cooking 15 06-10-2012 07:58 AM
Pork Butt ?? Sky General Cooking 63 06-05-2009 12:28 AM
Help with a Pork Butt Janet Wilder[_1_] Barbecue 87 29-12-2007 03:32 AM
First Pork Butt- Thank You All Robert Lusk Barbecue 1 16-12-2003 10:24 PM