Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Brinkman single stack smoker

I have a Brinkman rectangular single stack smoker. My SIL has one that is
twice the width, and has a gas burner in it. His BBQ is passable, but has
more of a grilled taste than BBQ'd, and he doesn't spend a lot of time
basting, rubbing, and other things I think BBQ needs. Mostly just get the
meat ready, slap it in there, and come back four hours later.

I have a problem with mine getting it up to any decent temperature and
holding it there. I have read forums that suggest putting in a pan of sand
to hold the heat, etc, etc, etc. I was thinking of taking the burner out of
a Camp Chef and putting it in the bottom to add to the charcoal heat and get
to desired temperature. The burner is about as round as a pie plate, and
looks like the type common to hot water heaters. I could add a metal box
for soaked flavoring woods.

I sense that I am chasing smoke here, and just need to build a decent
arrangement, but it would be nice to cobble something together here in the
meantime that will cook at a decent temperature.

Any suggestions from past experiences?

Steve

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 17:28:08 -0700, "Steve B" >
wrote:

>I have a Brinkman rectangular single stack smoker. My SIL has one that is
>twice the width, and has a gas burner in it. His BBQ is passable, but has
>more of a grilled taste than BBQ'd, and he doesn't spend a lot of time
>basting, rubbing, and other things I think BBQ needs. Mostly just get the
>meat ready, slap it in there, and come back four hours later.
>
>I have a problem with mine getting it up to any decent temperature and
>holding it there. I have read forums that suggest putting in a pan of sand
>to hold the heat, etc, etc, etc. I was thinking of taking the burner out of
>a Camp Chef and putting it in the bottom to add to the charcoal heat and get
>to desired temperature. The burner is about as round as a pie plate, and
>looks like the type common to hot water heaters. I could add a metal box
>for soaked flavoring woods.
>
>I sense that I am chasing smoke here, and just need to build a decent
>arrangement, but it would be nice to cobble something together here in the
>meantime that will cook at a decent temperature.
>
>Any suggestions from past experiences?
>
>Steve

Check the FAQ, there's links to modifications to the Brinkman, i.e.,
using a grill in the firebox, etc. See:

http://home.comcast.net/~day_trippr/smoker_mods.htm

There's a lot more out there on the subject.

-Zz
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Zz Yzx" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 17:28:08 -0700, "Steve B" >
> wrote:
>
>>I have a Brinkman rectangular single stack smoker. My SIL has one that is
>>twice the width, and has a gas burner in it. His BBQ is passable, but has
>>more of a grilled taste than BBQ'd, and he doesn't spend a lot of time
>>basting, rubbing, and other things I think BBQ needs. Mostly just get the
>>meat ready, slap it in there, and come back four hours later.
>>
>>I have a problem with mine getting it up to any decent temperature and
>>holding it there. I have read forums that suggest putting in a pan of
>>sand
>>to hold the heat, etc, etc, etc. I was thinking of taking the burner out
>>of
>>a Camp Chef and putting it in the bottom to add to the charcoal heat and
>>get
>>to desired temperature. The burner is about as round as a pie plate, and
>>looks like the type common to hot water heaters. I could add a metal box
>>for soaked flavoring woods.
>>
>>I sense that I am chasing smoke here, and just need to build a decent
>>arrangement, but it would be nice to cobble something together here in the
>>meantime that will cook at a decent temperature.
>>
>>Any suggestions from past experiences?
>>
>>Steve
>>

> Check the FAQ, there's links to modifications to the Brinkman, i.e.,
> using a grill in the firebox, etc. See:
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~day_trippr/smoker_mods.htm
>
> There's a lot more out there on the subject.
>
> -Zz

Your article is incredible. In that when I pulled this out after not having
used it in a very long time, I saw many things I wanted to "fix". The wood
handles disintegrated in my hands. Oh, just another little project, I
thought. Then I noticed the big air gap around the lid. Another project.
Then I put it on the concrete, and thought, "Wow, I bet that will leave a
grease stain", so moved it to the sand, where I had to shim with pieces of
wood. Also noticed I was not happy with the way ashes would block the air
holes.

Then there's that thermometer. I got a drill, and drilled a hole through
the top handle, and into the top of the cavity, and inserted a long
thermometer that I previously used for deep frying. Seemed to work pretty
well. Except for the wood handle turning into several pieces.

Stability was questionable during the cook, and I thought I could do
something better and more stable.

Seems like this link has quite a lot of changes that go right along with my
one time use of this after a long hiatus. At least, they are cheap fixes,
and I have the tools.

Thank you for a very informative answer that was spot on. I can see more
use of this cooker after some mods.

Steve

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 17:28:08 -0700, Steve B wrote:
>
>> I have a Brinkman rectangular single stack smoker. My SIL has one that
>> is
>> twice the width, and has a gas burner in it. His BBQ is passable, but
>> has
>> more of a grilled taste than BBQ'd, and he doesn't spend a lot of time
>> basting, rubbing, and other things I think BBQ needs. Mostly just get
>> the
>> meat ready, slap it in there, and come back four hours later.
>>
>> I have a problem with mine getting it up to any decent temperature and
>> holding it there. I have read forums that suggest putting in a pan of
>> sand
>> to hold the heat, etc, etc, etc. I was thinking of taking the burner out
>> of
>> a Camp Chef and putting it in the bottom to add to the charcoal heat and
>> get
>> to desired temperature. The burner is about as round as a pie plate, and
>> looks like the type common to hot water heaters. I could add a metal box
>> for soaked flavoring woods.

> Your SIL is probably doing it right, except maybe he's not putting any
> wood in the smoker box (or whatever receptacle comes with it - did
> yours not come with one?). You're problem is probably messing with it
> too much.
>
> Sand would just lower the temperature.
>
>> I sense that I am chasing smoke here, and just need to build a decent
>> arrangement, but it would be nice to cobble something together here in
>> the
>> meantime that will cook at a decent temperature.

> Sell it to Kent for cold-smoking. but I suspect it works fine, you
> didn't say exactly what was wrong - is the burner not working> What
> temps are you getting? Are you opening the door too much? Is it a
> full size door? Is there a link/picture of the smoker you're using?
>
> -sw

Baby, this has nothing to do with cold smoking.

Sand doesn't lower the temp. It slows the rate of the rising temp. It
doesn't create a stable temp as water does.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 12:00:20 -0700, Kent wrote:
>
>> Water burns off as it simmers. If you keep the volume of water constant, the
>> ongoing simmer will result in a stable temp.

> Total bullshit. Water doesn't do shit in a bullet smoker. Most of
> the heat goes around the water pan. No water is going to stop the
> amount of heat coming up from under the pan.
>
> Put a 5" pan full of water on an 8" gas burner. Cycle the gas output
> from Mark 1 to Mark 5. Keep your arm over he top of the pan. What
> happens, Kent?
>
> Where's my gun?
>
> -sw

Why did you say use no water. I thought burning fat is bad. Evaporating
water sucks heat.

Greg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

>>> Water burns off as it simmers.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Water burns. I guess I learn something new every day.

What btu does it give off in this burning process?

Steve

(anxious to know some new physics information)

Steve

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 20, 5:36*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 15:04:44 -0700, Kent wrote:
> > I really wish I hadn't returned my gas smoker and
> > purchased the WSM.

> You mean that gas smoker you asked us about before you bought it, were
> told it would NOT do cold smoking, bought it anyway a year later,
> complained constantly after you did, sent for replacement parts,
> bitched even more about it, returned it. *Then bought a WSM.
>
> And now you're bitching about all that in reverse now?
>
> Do you see now why we think you're such an idiot and asshole?
>
> -sw

Based on past history, he's too stupid even for that,
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 20, 5:55*pm, gregz > wrote:
> Sqwertz > wrote:
> > On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 12:00:20 -0700, Kent wrote:

> >> Water burns off as it simmers. If you keep the volume of water constant, the
> >> ongoing simmer will result in a stable temp.

> > Total bullshit. *Water doesn't do shit in a bullet smoker. *Most of
> > the heat goes around the water pan. *No water is going to stop the
> > amount of heat coming up from under the pan.

> > Put a *5" pan full of water on an 8" gas burner. *Cycle the gas output
> > from Mark 1 to Mark 5. *Keep your arm over he top of the pan. *What
> > happens, Kent?

> > Where's my gun?

> > -sw

> Why did you say use no water. I thought burning fat is bad. Evaporating
> water sucks heat.

Acktually, some folk like to dispense with the pan altogether and BBQ
on their WSM straight up like that.
Now, those folks are pretty good fire tenders and don't mind the extra
work entailed. They swear it makes a better product, and I beleive
them.

However, if you want to have that direct radiant heat buffer, the
majority of people here put sand in their pants, I mean, pan, (well,
except Brick, he's in FL and kinda wierd that way ) and cover the sand
up with alu foil.

And in all cases, the general concencus is that water gives the meat
an off flavor, adds too much moisture into the equation and does no
good, your better off with something else as a heat sink. However,
experiment on your own. Shit, I think most of us were told this and
had to find out for ourselves. Not myself of course, I learned the
hard way on my own that water makes the meat seem swampy. I'm stupid
smart like that; doing dumb stuff without asking.

Anyway, I'm told there's some forums on the weber website for WSM
where there's a ton of info on this.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 00:55:01 +0000 (UTC), gregz wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz > wrote:
>>
>>> Total bullshit. Water doesn't do shit in a bullet smoker. Most of
>>> the heat goes around the water pan. No water is going to stop the
>>> amount of heat coming up from under the pan.

>> Why did you say use no water. I thought burning fat is bad. Evaporating
>> water sucks heat.

> Did I say not to use water? If not .... Don't Use Water.
>
> I fill my water pan with crumpled foil, then cover that with a flat
> sheet of foil, slightly inset to catch the fat. The foil acts as a
> heatsink and the fat never burns - it stays liquid. Pour it off, take
> the top sheet of foil off, throw it away, and you're good to go again.
>
> -sw

If I ever use my electric brinkman again, I'll try that.

Greg
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

tutall > wrote:

> Acktually, some folk like to dispense with the pan altogether and BBQ
> on their WSM straight up like that.

Methinks TFM is in that camp.

> Now, those folks are pretty good fire tenders and don't mind the extra
> work entailed. They swear it makes a better product, and I beleive
> them.
>
> However, if you want to have that direct radiant heat buffer, the
> majority of people here put sand in their pants, I mean, pan, (well,
> except Brick, he's in FL and kinda wierd that way ) and cover the sand
> up with alu foil.

I thot Brick was weird cuz he used an offset! ;D
NBBDs-n-such need other-type mods for their p'rticklar temp funkynesses.
I just use a "foil wad disk" for a deflector now. If I need more
drip-proofing I put a 12" round cake tin on top of that.
The 'water in the pan makes the meat moister' is pretty much an abject
myth. Gives me the funnies when prominent chefs (even on TV,mind U)
advise putting beer or applejuice or wine in the drip pan for 'extra
flavoring'.

monroe(THAT'S alcohol abuse)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 21, 11:48*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> I don't think any commercial smokers include a water/humidity system,
> but Dave would know better than I.

Why would a commercial cooker ever want more moisture than provided by
100's of pounds of meat cooking all at once?

I don't know if anybody has noticed lately, but wood fire is not
exactly bone dry.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"tutall" > wrote in message
On Mar 21, 11:48 am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> I don't think any commercial smokers include a water/humidity system,
> but Dave would know better than I.

Why would a commercial cooker ever want more moisture than provided by
100's of pounds of meat cooking all at once?

I don't know if anybody has noticed lately, but wood fire is not
exactly bone dry.

* * * *

I'm still waiting on that answer burning water ..............

Steve

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 21-Mar-2012, "monroe, of course" > wrote:

> tutall > wrote:
> >
> > Acktually, some folk like to dispense with the pan altogether and BBQ
> > on their WSM straight up like that.

> Methinks TFM is in that camp.
>
> > Now, those folks are pretty good fire tenders and don't mind the extra
> > work entailed. They swear it makes a better product, and I beleive
> > them.
> >
> > However, if you want to have that direct radiant heat buffer, the
> > majority of people here put sand in their pants, I mean, pan, (well,
> > except Brick, he's in FL and kinda wierd that way ) and cover the sand
> > up with alu foil.

> I thot Brick was weird cuz he used an offset! ;D
> NBBDs-n-such need other-type mods for their p'rticklar temp funkynesses.
> I just use a "foil wad disk" for a deflector now. If I need more
> drip-proofing I put a 12" round cake tin on top of that.
> The 'water in the pan makes the meat moister' is pretty much an abject
> myth. Gives me the funnies when prominent chefs (even on TV,mind U)
> advise putting beer or applejuice or wine in the drip pan for 'extra
> flavoring'.
>
> monroe(THAT'S alcohol abuse)

Brick does use an offset, but also has a bullet smoker not unlike
the WSM except mine is gas fired. Before the burner rusted out, I
filled the water pan with sand and covered it with foil. If/when I find
a new burner (I lost my link to all kinds of round burners) I'll likely
use wadded foil instead of sand. Don't need no effing heatsink, just
a grease catcher..

--
Brick(Better to remain silent and be thought a fool
then to speak up and remove all doubt)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 20-Mar-2012, "Steve B" > wrote:

> Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Water burns. I guess I learn something new every day.
>
> What btu does it give off in this burning process?
>
> Steve
>
> (anxious to know some new physics information)
>
> Steve

You want to see water burn, just dump some on burning
magnesium. Spectacular.

--
Brick(Better to remain silent and be thought a fool
then to speak up and remove all doubt)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

>> > You want to see water burn, just dump some on burning
>> > magnesium. Spectacular.

Just where is that "Barbecueing with Liquid Oxygen" when you need it?
............ Ah, there it is .........

IIRC, George Gobel (not known if it is THAT George Gobel or not), original
event was in 1995. Fire department declined their request to do it a second
time. Seems like forgiveness is easier to get than permission, and FD was
pretty PO'd when they heard about the first annual event, and them not being
called.

Hey, what the heck. No children or small farm animals were injured during
filming. At least not permanently.

Steve

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

>I have the late model Weber Smokey Mtn. It has a very large water pan. When
>full, and you have it to a simmer it will maintain a 225F temp for at least
>6 hours without touching it.

I have that unit also. Except that I have sand (covered with foil) in
the 'water pan'. I have no problem maintaining a normal smoking temp
(250 is what I usually run, though for fowls I prefer more like 300)
for hours--won't say a number 'cause I've not timed it for 'how long
can I go'.

The main factor in temp control isn't 'what's in the pan'--it's the
vents. And keeping from going high early, as it's a lot harder to
'tune down' than to 'tune up'.

But Kent--we know you're not going to take anyone's word. So.
Try putting clean (sold as 'playground' or 'sandbox' sand at HD or
Lowe's or such) sand in the water pan, filled about 2/3 or so full,
then use wide HD foil to cover it and create a drip pan above the
sand.

Until you've actually done a couple or more smokes this way, you're
speaking from pure ignorance. Not that you seem to mind doing so.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 15:04:44 -0700, "Kent" >
> wrote:
>
>> I have the late model Weber Smokey Mtn. It has a very large water
>> pan. When full, and you have it to a simmer it will maintain a 225F
>> temp for at least 6 hours without touching it.

> I have that unit also. Except that I have sand (covered with foil) in
> the 'water pan'. I have no problem maintaining a normal smoking temp
> (250 is what I usually run, though for fowls I prefer more like 300)
> for hours--won't say a number 'cause I've not timed it for 'how long
> can I go'.
>
> The main factor in temp control isn't 'what's in the pan'--it's the
> vents. And keeping from going high early, as it's a lot harder to
> 'tune down' than to 'tune up'.
>
> But Kent--we know you're not going to take anyone's word. So.
> Try putting clean (sold as 'playground' or 'sandbox' sand at HD or
> Lowe's or such) sand in the water pan, filled about 2/3 or so full,
> then use wide HD foil to cover it and create a drip pan above the
> sand.
>
> Until you've actually done a couple or more smokes this way, you're
> speaking from pure ignorance. Not that you seem to mind doing so.

+1

--
Dave
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."......

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 15:04:44 -0700, "Kent" >
> wrote:
>
>>I have the late model Weber Smokey Mtn. It has a very large water pan.
>>When
>>full, and you have it to a simmer it will maintain a 225F temp for at
>>least
>>6 hours without touching it.

> I have that unit also. Except that I have sand (covered with foil) in
> the 'water pan'. I have no problem maintaining a normal smoking temp
> (250 is what I usually run, though for fowls I prefer more like 300)
> for hours--won't say a number 'cause I've not timed it for 'how long
> can I go'.
>
> The main factor in temp control isn't 'what's in the pan'--it's the
> vents. And keeping from going high early, as it's a lot harder to
> 'tune down' than to 'tune up'.
>
> But Kent--we know you're not going to take anyone's word. So.
> Try putting clean (sold as 'playground' or 'sandbox' sand at HD or
> Lowe's or such) sand in the water pan, filled about 2/3 or so full,
> then use wide HD foil to cover it and create a drip pan above the
> sand.
>
> Until you've actually done a couple or more smokes this way, you're
> speaking from pure ignorance. Not that you seem to mind doing so.

Thank you Denny. I was speaking theoretically about heat transfer. I'm
going to take your advice and do it.

I have several complaints about the newer WSM.
1. The size of the water pan is good for providing a stable heat
temperature. However you can't tend the charcoal or wood on the side
opposite the pan. You can't see past the water pan. I understand some have
used a Brinkmann pan to solve that.
2. You have to lift the body of the WSM off and lift the base to get the
ashes on the bottom into something for disposal. I'm spoiled because I have
the Weber One Touch and it's very easy to clean out charcoal ash. I've
looked unsuccesssfully at HD and restaurant supply places trying to find a
foil or metal pan that would lie under the bottom grate. They could have
addressed this when they redesigned.
3. There are no handles on the body to lift it off.

Kent