Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default WSM temp mystery

My older WSM didn't come with lid thermometer.

Few years ago I did the "drill" mod so my thermometer is towards the
bottom of the lid.

Just got the latest Maverick and now I'm even more confused:

The lid attached meter will show 200
Maverick probe attached to top grate will show 270
Maverick prove hanging loose about 10 inches through top vent will
show 230

WTF? Don't know what probe to trust. Good thing I have the meat probe
at least...

Thanks
Ron
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 09:08:57 -0800 (PST), unix > wrote:
> My older WSM didn't come with lid thermometer.
>
> Few years ago I did the "drill" mod so my thermometer is towards the
> bottom of the lid.
>
> Just got the latest Maverick and now I'm even more confused:
>
> The lid attached meter will show 200
> Maverick probe attached to top grate will show 270
> Maverick prove hanging loose about 10 inches through top vent will
> show 230
>
> WTF? Don't know what probe to trust. Good thing I have the meat probe
> at least...

They are probably all right. They are measuring the air
temp where you have placed them.

A man with a watch knows the time. A man with two watches
isn't sure.

--
This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with
Negroes, entertainers, and any others. - Harry J. Anslinger
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Feb 29, 9:08*am, unix > wrote:
> My older WSM didn't come with lid thermometer.
>
> Few years ago I did the "drill" mod so my thermometer is towards the
> bottom of the lid.
>
> Just got the latest Maverick and now I'm even more confused:
>
> The lid attached meter will show 200
> Maverick probe attached to top grate will show *270
> Maverick prove hanging loose about 10 inches through top vent will
> show 230
>
> WTF? Don't know what probe to trust. Good thing I have the meat probe
> at least...

Like Julian says, they're probably all telling you something useful.
The temperature
inside your WSM isn't the same in all locations. In particular, the
hot draft
comes up the side of the cooker around the perimeter of the water pan,
so temps
measured near the edge may be higher - but that will depend on how
vigorously
the fire is burning.

Probably the best place for the probe is in the center of the top
grate if there's
room in between the food for it.

Cheers,
Dana
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Feb 29, 10:11*am, Julian Macassey > wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 09:08:57 -0800 (PST), unix > wrote:
> > My older WSM didn't come with lid thermometer.

> > Few years ago I did the "drill" mod so my thermometer is towards the
> > bottom of the lid.

> > Just got the latest Maverick and now I'm even more confused:

> > The lid attached meter will show 200
> > Maverick probe attached to top grate will show *270
> > Maverick prove hanging loose about 10 inches through top vent will
> > show 230

> > WTF? Don't know what probe to trust. Good thing I have the meat probe
> > at least...

> * * * * They are probably all right. They are measuring the air
> temp where you have placed them.
>
> * * * * A man with a watch knows the time. A man with two watches
> isn't sure.

So true. Most cooks now, I don't use internal meat probes. I'll
check done-ness
with a poke of a Thermapen - the texture is more important than the
internal temperature
for BBQ, since it's cooked way past the "well done" anyway.

For grilling where 125F vs 130F matters, I'll use a Thermapen for
temperature.

Julian you old dog, how ya been?!?!

de K6JQ
Member

An incredible and really an amazing sharing it is. I enjoy this too awesome and really very nice work done too much

_________________________________
sleep number m7 bed l sleep number m7 bed l sleep number i10 bed

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

unix wrote:
> My older WSM didn't come with lid thermometer.
>
> Few years ago I did the "drill" mod so my thermometer is towards the
> bottom of the lid.
>
> Just got the latest Maverick and now I'm even more confused:
>
> The lid attached meter will show 200
> Maverick probe attached to top grate will show 270
> Maverick prove hanging loose about 10 inches through top vent will
> show 230
>
> WTF? Don't know what probe to trust. Good thing I have the meat probe
> at least...

Try this:
http://tinypic.com/r/8ysswx/5

--
Dave
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."......

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 2 Mar 2012 08:01:51 -0800 (PST), Dana > wrote:

> Julian you old dog, how ya been?!?!

As an old dog, busy learning new tricks.

I have been making sausages, and thought as I am busy
doing odd things with meat, why not branch out.

So, of course my thoughts have strayed to making hams,
smoking meat and fish - hot and cold - and generally just having
fun with animal protein.

Someone has to tempt the vegans with tasty meaty smells.

--
This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with
Negroes, entertainers, and any others. - Harry J. Anslinger
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 7-Mar-2012, Julian Macassey > wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Mar 2012 08:01:51 -0800 (PST), Dana >
> wrote:
> >
> > Julian you old dog, how ya been?!?!

> As an old dog, busy learning new tricks.
>
> I have been making sausages, and thought as I am busy
> doing odd things with meat, why not branch out.
>
> So, of course my thoughts have strayed to making hams,
> smoking meat and fish - hot and cold - and generally just having
> fun with animal protein.
>
> Someone has to tempt the vegans with tasty meaty smells.

As more ammunition for your curiosity mill, let me tempt you
with corned beef and Canadian bacon. I have made corned
beef several times with good results and am now looking for
some boneless pork loin at the right price to make some
Canadian bacon.

--
Brick(Better to remain silent and be thought a fool
then to speak up and remove all doubt)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 08:31:16 -0500, monroe, of course wrote:
>

> > Methinks y'all are thinking of pork roll (a Yankee thang,but way south
> > of Canuckistania) It has red plastic like baloney IIRC.
> >
> > monroe(where's our mystery meat expert?)

> Taylor Pork Roll? Nasty shit. I think that's Virginia to Goergia,
> IIRC. Never saw it in Pennsylvania.
>
> Now Lebanon Bologna - that there is the shit. It's like a big, fat
> landjäger.

Tru dat,man,but them Lebanonians are wayway proud of their stuff and
make ya pay fo it dearly.
I don't know *where* the Taylors live OR why they bothered.
(Iagree--#nastyshit)
When in Pennsyl-tucky,I opt for the scrapple-which is encased in a
breadpan,usually,until its fryed-hopefully fryed in lard.
When good ol'cheapcheapcheap FrostyMorn Baloney goes on sale for $4
per chub,my heart sings...

(OB Q)...cuz a whole baloney bulk-chunk on the smoker is a wondrous
and yummy thing.

monroe(refried smoked bologna w/tomates& frittatttattttta anybody?)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mar 8, 4:57*am, "Big Jim" > wrote:

Hell, Monroe, BigJim, Sqwertz, all we missing is Frohe from this
reunion party.

How long you gonna be around internet there BJ?

And Nick, from HollyWood and Saigon. Where he been, such a pantywaist.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"tutall" > wrote in message
On Mar 8, 4:57 am, "Big Jim" > wrote:

Hell, Monroe, BigJim, Sqwertz, all we missing is Frohe from this
reunion party.

How long you gonna be around internet there BJ?

And Nick, from HollyWood and Saigon. Where he been, such a pantywaist.

I was gone last time cause I lost my debit card, never did find. Anyway I
cancelled the card and usenet folks I forgot to update with new number so
got dumped, so I just left it that way. Got to missing y'all so I found
usenetmonster for $2.75 so I back. At least untill I loose my card again. I
got all my monthly bills to get paid by Direct deposit, except
usenetmonster.
BeeJay

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 13:23:34 -0500, "monroe, of course"
> wrote:

>When in Pennsyl-tucky,I opt for the scrapple-which is encased in a
>breadpan,usually,until its fryed-hopefully fryed in lard.

Me mum useta make scrapple--I dunno if 'twas as good as the Pennsy
Dutch did, never having had theirs, but I sure liked what she made.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Big Jim" > wrote:
> "tutall" > wrote in message
> On Mar 8, 4:57 am, "Big Jim" > wrote:
>
> Hell, Monroe, BigJim, Sqwertz, all we missing is Frohe from this
> reunion party.
>
> How long you gonna be around internet there BJ?
>
> And Nick, from HollyWood and Saigon. Where he been, such a pantywaist.

That's Bangkok, not Saigon, Stumpy! But yer right, I ain't been doin' much
lately. I just ain't had much energy. <sigh>

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nick Cramer > wrote:

> "Big Jim" > wrote:
> > "tutall" > wrote in message
> > On Mar 8, 4:57 am, "Big Jim" > wrote:
> >
> > Hell, Monroe, BigJim, Sqwertz, all we missing is Frohe from this
> > reunion party.
> >
> > How long you gonna be around internet there BJ?
> >
> > And Nick, from HollyWood and Saigon. Where he been, such a pantywaist.

> That's Bangkok, not Saigon, Stumpy! But yer right, I ain't been doin' much
> lately. I just ain't had much energy. <sigh>

WOOHOO!!!! Nick's here!!! It's official!!
I proclaim it's now
Auld Phart Week
at a.f.b.!
(OBQ)I smoke-roasted&devoured a sirloin roast last nite. (marinated
in wooster-direct(w/applewoodchips) @400F until 130F inside)
Didn't need any mayo or dressings or such-just stuffed thin med-rare
slices into sammies and dip in the aw-juuu. Miranda hadda near fight me
for her share.

monroe(pass the Geritol)

Mystery [email protected] General Cooking 22 20-09-2015 10:51 PM
Tea Mystery gtr General Cooking 54 04-02-2013 05:24 PM
TN: mystery '89 CdP Emery Davis Wine 0 01-01-2008 09:50 PM
Dig temp at... Piedmont Barbecue 4 23-06-2005 03:25 PM