FoodBanter.com

-   -   Ping: Gene - Prime Rib (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/414531-ping-gene-prime-rib.html)

Kent[_5_] 01-01-2012 08:35 PM

Ping: Gene - Prime Rib

There is a recipe almost identical to Gene's prime rib technique in the
current issue of Cook's Illustrated. We're going to try it today. You can
watch this video without subscription of any kind for the next four months.
It's only a minute and a half, and somewhat monosyllabic. The fat in the
finished piece looks pretty raw to me.
http://www.cooksillustrated.com/byis...currentVideo=y

1 Trim off ribs; save for roasting
2 Salt and air dry in frig for 1-4 days
3 Warm to room temp.
4 Brown top and bottom, not the cut ends.
5 Reassemble bone in standing rib and tie with kitchen twine.
6 Roast at 200F to internal temp. of 110F. Turn off oven and let rise to
120-125F.
7. Rest and eat. I'm a bit dubious about that. There shouldn't be
anything to equilibrate at that temp.

I'm gong to do differently the following.
1 Brown in bacon fat and save as much of the browning as possible.
2. Roast ribs separately at 375F to render fat and drippings for Yorkshire
pudding
3 I might just leave the oven temp @ 200-225F and rest in the usual
fashion after 120 meat temp is reached, while the Yorkshire pudding is
baking.
4 Slice thinly

I would trying smoking at 200-225F. My doctor ordered me to stay indoors for
a few weeks.

A Happy New Year to All,

Kent

Tutall 02-01-2012 08:06 AM

Ping: Gene - Prime Rib

On Jan 1, 11:35*am, "Kent" > wrote:

> I would trying smoking at 200-225F. My doctor ordered me to stay indoors for
> a few weeks.

That's one hell of a home heating system you got there.

Are you sure he didn't tell you to stay off the computer for a few
weeks?

Pico Rico[_2_] 02-01-2012 08:44 AM

Ping: Gene - Prime Rib

"tutall" > wrote in message
On Jan 1, 11:35 am, "Kent" > wrote:

> I would trying smoking at 200-225F. My doctor ordered me to stay indoors
> for
> a few weeks.

That's one hell of a home heating system you got there.

Are you sure he didn't tell you to stay off the computer for a few
weeks?

I think he told him to stay indoors so he wouldn't venture out and to the
doctor's office again.

Gene 02-01-2012 09:31 AM

Ping: Gene - Prime Rib

snip

Try to use some common sense.

I have no idea why you try so hard to complicate things sooo much.

Gene

It is a solemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork.
- More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927
Mark Twain

Gene 03-01-2012 02:52 AM

Ping: Gene - Prime Rib

On Sun, 1 Jan 2012 23:06:49 -0800 (PST), tutall >
wrote:

>On Jan 1, 11:35*am, "Kent" > wrote:
>
>> I would trying smoking at 200-225F. My doctor ordered me to stay indoors for
>> a few weeks.

>That's one hell of a home heating system you got there.
>

>Are you sure he didn't tell you to stay off the computer for a few
>weeks?

Years?