FoodBanter.com

-   -   What to do for Christmas (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/414167-what-do-christmas.html)

Gene 22-12-2011 06:20 AM

What to do for Christmas

The guest list:

Me
Wife
#1 Son
Daughter
#2 Son
Allen
Bunky

All adults sept Bunky who is 2.5 years old.

Here comes the hard part. What to make.

I messed around and lost the window to order Prime Rib from the
butcher. Also money is tight. Wife and daughter will not eat lobster.
They eat like they are younger than Bunky.

Meijer has standing rib roasts for around $7 per pound. They also have
live lobster for $9.99 per pound, which is a real sale here.

Ham is way cheaper, but I got a dental issue and the wife likes it
packed in brown sugar (she might as well be 6 years old when it comes
to food).

Pulled pork, ribs, etc. came to mind. Not traditional I know, but very
good eating. That was shot down by wife :)

Arrrggg!

The real problem is my wife. I love her more than life but I gotta be
honest. Ann has the pallet of a sugar addicted 6 year old spoiled
child.

She won't eat duck or sea food., so that is out. ARRRRGG!

I might be too close to this. Ideas?

Gene

It is a solemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork.
- More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927
Mark Twain

Storrmmee 22-12-2011 06:22 AM

What to do for Christmas

get the standing rib roast and lobsters for those of you who want it, surf
and turf, nobody says your wife has to surf, Lees

Gene 22-12-2011 06:27 AM

What to do for Christmas

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 00:22:15 -0600, "Storrmmee"
> wrote:

>get the standing rib roast and lobsters for those of you who want it, surf
>and turf, nobody says your wife has to surf, Lees

Well you may be right. But The roast is gonna cost at least $35 and
the lobsters about $60. More than I care to spend total just for the
protein.

Storrmmee 22-12-2011 06:31 AM

What to do for Christmas

oops i remember you said money was tight... maybe some more run of the mill
beef instead? my family has turkey at christmas and thanksgiving with the
odd ham thrown in so the protien is never the issue, Lee

Gene 22-12-2011 06:41 AM

What to do for Christmas

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 00:31:47 -0600, "Storrmmee"
> wrote:

>oops i remember you said money was tight... maybe some more run of the mill
>beef instead? my family has turkey at christmas and thanksgiving with the
>odd ham thrown in so the protien is never the issue, Lee

Did a turkey for Thanksgiving. We would do ham or prime rib for
Christmas, but.. you know.

I am not bragging, but I do a good job with meats so a run of the mill
wouldn't be very special.

Now you may be starting to see my problem. I'm not trying to be
difficult. IT IS difficult.

Storrmmee 22-12-2011 06:49 AM

What to do for Christmas

i meant a more run of the mill cut of meat, I have no doubt you will make it
wonderful to eat, Lee

Gene 22-12-2011 06:57 AM

What to do for Christmas

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 00:49:39 -0600, "Storrmmee"
> wrote:

>i meant a more run of the mill cut of meat, I have no doubt you will make it
>wonderful to eat, Lee

I understood. What I tried to say is that a more run of the mill meat
wouldn't be very special because I am known in this house for making
run of the mill cut of meat and making it taste excellent, I just
didn't want to sound like I was bragging.

Hell, I would love whole beef shanks or short ribs! Bone marrow on
toasted French bread...heaven!

LOL!

Storrmmee 22-12-2011 07:03 AM

What to do for Christmas

not bragging if its true, maybe make the ham as a bow to economics and make
some really cool sides?

Gene 22-12-2011 07:11 AM

What to do for Christmas

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 01:03:29 -0600, "Storrmmee"
> wrote:

>not bragging if its true, maybe make the ham as a bow to economics and make
>some really cool sides?

I can't eat the ham the way she wants me to make it. My boys can't
either. It's like eating sugar stew. I swear, sometimes I could kick
her mother right in the ass for the way Ann was raised with food.

1st off, thanks for your help :)

OK, it's the rib roast, prime if I can still get it.

This now defines the menu.

Menu to follow in a separate post.

Thanks again!

Storrmmee 22-12-2011 07:23 AM

What to do for Christmas

sometimes its easier if you can vent, then consider, Lee

Gene 22-12-2011 07:34 AM

What to do for Christmas

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 01:23:30 -0600, "Storrmmee"
> wrote:

>sometimes its easier if you can vent, then consider, Lee

snip
Soooo true!

Thanks for being there and helping me to explore my inner ID!

Storrmmee 22-12-2011 07:37 AM

What to do for Christmas

that menu will be great, Lee

Gene 22-12-2011 07:40 AM

What to do for Christmas

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 01:37:24 -0600, "Storrmmee"
> wrote:

>that menu will be great, Lee

Thank you!

But I need an acid. Hmmmm. By the time it's done maybe battery?

LOL!

Storrmmee 22-12-2011 07:45 AM

What to do for Christmas

something with cranberries is what struck me, mayb cranberry/manderine
salad, Lee

Gene 22-12-2011 07:56 AM

What to do for Christmas

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 01:45:32 -0600, "Storrmmee"
> wrote:

>something with cranberries is what struck me, mayb cranberry/manderine
>salad, Lee

snip

Good idea. But no one in this house will eat cranberries. But me. I
eat everything but beets. Beets are the ONLY thing I HATE.

I live in hell, I really do. I can cook just about anything.. but I
have picky eaters. Ann is the worst. You have no idea with her and
food. To Ann hot dogs are an entire food group!

OK, here is where I head. A wasabe sesame vinaigrette for the salad
and balsamic/soy/sake reduction for the brussel spouts.

What do you think?

Storrmmee 22-12-2011 08:06 AM

What to do for Christmas

i love sprouts oven roasted and with just a bit of oo and parm, but yours
would be worth a try...

maybe do a mandarine salad with something sweet one of those poofy jobs, the
wife will like it ... i am not that picky, if somene else cooks it, its not
black eyed peas or something i am allergic to i am there, Lee

Gene 22-12-2011 08:25 AM

What to do for Christmas

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 02:06:19 -0600, "Storrmmee"
> wrote:

>i love sprouts oven roasted and with just a bit of oo and parm, but yours
>would be worth a try...

Oven roasted, steamed, fried, smoked. They are great!

Cut off 1/4 inch of the bottom.

Cut a X 1/4 inch deep in the bottom.

Soak in salted water over night.

Dry.

Toss in EVOO and melted butter and kosher salt.

Place in a heavy duty pan (I use cast iron).

Put on grill with mesq (off set/indirect) or in a smoker.

Cook till tender. You might need to add some water if you didn't soak
them.

I have a great Chinese way of doing this which is nutty and assume.
All in a wok or heavy pan. Let me know if you want it.

Storrmmee 22-12-2011 08:53 AM

What to do for Christmas

yes that would be great haven't eaten them smoked, have saved this as a
reminder, Lee

Gene 22-12-2011 09:00 AM

What to do for Christmas

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 02:53:07 -0600, "Storrmmee"
> wrote:

>yes that would be great haven't eaten them smoked, have saved this as a
>reminder, Lee

Just don't over smoke them, they can get bitter.

Cool.

Bed time for me. Nite nite!

Storrmmee 22-12-2011 09:06 AM

What to do for Christmas

i would like to sleep but this house thing has my knickers in a big knot,
lol, enjoy that sleep, Lee

Ed Pawlowski 22-12-2011 10:54 AM

What to do for Christmas

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 00:20:08 -0600, Gene >
wrote:

>Here comes the hard part. What to make.
>
>I messed around and lost the window to order Prime Rib from the
>butcher. Also money is tight. Wife and daughter will not eat lobster.
>They eat like they are younger than Bunky.

Meatloaf. Seriously, the meal is really secondary, or at least should
be.

FYI, lobster is $4.99 here.

[email protected] 23-12-2011 03:02 AM

What to do for Christmas

On 22-Dec-2011, Gene > wrote:

> The guest list:
>
> Me
> Wife
> #1 Son
> Daughter
> #2 Son
> Allen
> Bunky
>
> All adults sept Bunky who is 2.5 years old.
>
> Here comes the hard part. What to make.
>
> I messed around and lost the window to order Prime Rib from the
> butcher. Also money is tight. Wife and daughter will not eat lobster.
> They eat like they are younger than Bunky.
>
> Meijer has standing rib roasts for around $7 per pound. They also have
> live lobster for $9.99 per pound, which is a real sale here.
>
> Ham is way cheaper, but I got a dental issue and the wife likes it
> packed in brown sugar (she might as well be 6 years old when it comes
> to food).
>
> Pulled pork, ribs, etc. came to mind. Not traditional I know, but very
> good eating. That was shot down by wife :)
>
> Arrrggg!
>
> The real problem is my wife. I love her more than life but I gotta be
> honest. Ann has the pallet of a sugar addicted 6 year old spoiled
> child.
>
> She won't eat duck or sea food., so that is out. ARRRRGG!
>
> I might be too close to this. Ideas?
>

> Gene

I think you may be in deep doo doo Gene. All the things I can think
of, you have already shot down. Perhaps a large, whole baked fish.
with a rice pilaf and maybe some brown sugar roasted pears or
apples. In a panic, I'd go with two or three rotisserie chickens.

--
Brick(Better to remain silent and be thought a fool
then to speak up and remove all doubt)

[email protected] 23-12-2011 03:14 AM

What to do for Christmas

On 22-Dec-2011, Gene > wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 00:22:15 -0600, "Storrmmee"
> > wrote:
>
> >get the standing rib roast and lobsters for those of you who want it,
> >surf
> >and turf, nobody says your wife has to surf, Lees

> Well you may be right. But The roast is gonna cost at least $35 and
> the lobsters about $60. More than I care to spend total just for the
> protein.

I cast an eyeball on a rib roast this afternoon that was tagged upwards
of $80. True is was five or six ribs, but 'WOW'. Several stores here
are offering rib roast at lowered prices for the holidays. (About $8/lb or
so). I'm fortunate I guess that I don't have to fund a holiday dinner this
year.

monroe, of course 23-12-2011 03:21 AM

What to do for Christmas

In article >,
wrote:

> On 22-Dec-2011, Gene > wrote:
>
> > The guest list:
> >
> > Me
> > Wife
> > #1 Son
> > Daughter
> > #2 Son
> > Allen
> > Bunky
> >
> > All adults sept Bunky who is 2.5 years old.
> >
> > Here comes the hard part. What to make.
> >
> > I messed around and lost the window to order Prime Rib from the
> > butcher. Also money is tight. Wife and daughter will not eat lobster.
> > They eat like they are younger than Bunky.
> >
> > Meijer has standing rib roasts for around $7 per pound. They also have
> > live lobster for $9.99 per pound, which is a real sale here.
> >
> > Ham is way cheaper, but I got a dental issue and the wife likes it
> > packed in brown sugar (she might as well be 6 years old when it comes
> > to food).
> >
> > Pulled pork, ribs, etc. came to mind. Not traditional I know, but very
> > good eating. That was shot down by wife :)
> >
> > Arrrggg!
> >
> > The real problem is my wife. I love her more than life but I gotta be
> > honest. Ann has the pallet of a sugar addicted 6 year old spoiled
> > child.
> >
> > She won't eat duck or sea food., so that is out. ARRRRGG!
> >
> > I might be too close to this. Ideas?
> >

> > Gene

> I think you may be in deep doo doo Gene. All the things I can think
> of, you have already shot down. Perhaps a large, whole baked fish.
> with a rice pilaf and maybe some brown sugar roasted pears or
> apples. In a panic, I'd go with two or three rotisserie chickens.

Sounds like it's time to go to Golden Corral!

monroe(great place for whiny pickys)

[email protected] 23-12-2011 03:37 AM

What to do for Christmas

On 22-Dec-2011, Gene > wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 01:45:32 -0600, "Storrmmee"
> > wrote:
>
> >something with cranberries is what struck me, mayb cranberry/manderine
> >salad, Lee

> snip
>
> Good idea. But no one in this house will eat cranberries. But me. I
> eat everything but beets. Beets are the ONLY thing I HATE.
>
> I live in hell, I really do. I can cook just about anything.. but I
> have picky eaters. Ann is the worst. You have no idea with her and
> food. To Ann hot dogs are an entire food group!
>
> OK, here is where I head. A wasabe sesame vinaigrette for the salad
> and balsamic/soy/sake reduction for the brussel spouts.
>
> What do you think?
>

> Gene

I'm drooling on just the salad and sprouts. Can you get your hands
on real wasabe? As for beets; I was ruined for beets before I was
five years old. I spent a lot of time as an infant with grandparents,
mostly in farm environments and in the winter to boot. Root
vegetables including rutabegas, turnips and beets were the popular
veggies of the day. I can do turnips, but beets and rutabegas are
off my menu.

Gene 23-12-2011 04:27 AM

What to do for Christmas

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 05:54:31 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 00:20:08 -0600, Gene >
>wrote:
>

>>Here comes the hard part. What to make.
>>
>>I messed around and lost the window to order Prime Rib from the
>>butcher. Also money is tight. Wife and daughter will not eat lobster.
>>They eat like they are younger than Bunky.
>>

>Meatloaf. Seriously, the meal is really secondary, or at least should
>be.
>
>FYI, lobster is $4.99 here.

Meatloaf is good. But it is a run of the mill meal around here.

Lobster at 4.99? I hate you!

Hell, if you shipped it to me it would be cheaper than what I can buy
it for :(

Gene 23-12-2011 04:40 AM

What to do for Christmas

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 08:54:48 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 00:20:08 -0600, Gene wrote:
>
>> Bunky

>I know a couple-few definitions for "bunky", none of them good.
>Hopefully it's nto his given name and the parents will grow out of it.
>Call him cabrito, or something else.
>
>-sw

Bunky is just a nickname, I don't know why.

Gene 23-12-2011 04:41 AM

What to do for Christmas

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 08:57:18 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 00:57:37 -0600, Gene wrote:
>
>> It is a solemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork.
>> - More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927
>> Mark Twain

>I've read this a few dozen times now and I don't get it.
>
>-sw

It's mark Twain. Pork is better tasting than most men are noble.

Gene 23-12-2011 04:49 AM

What to do for Christmas

snip
>I think you may be in deep doo doo Gene. All the things I can think
>of, you have already shot down. Perhaps a large, whole baked fish.
>with a rice pilaf and maybe some brown sugar roasted pears or
>apples. In a panic, I'd go with two or three rotisserie chickens.

Remember, wife won't eat sea food.

But thanks!

Gene 23-12-2011 04:49 AM

What to do for Christmas

snip
>I cast an eyeball on a rib roast this afternoon that was tagged upwards
>of $80. True is was five or six ribs, but 'WOW'. Several stores here
>are offering rib roast at lowered prices for the holidays. (About $8/lb or
>so). I'm fortunate I guess that I don't have to fund a holiday dinner this
>year.

No kidding!

Gene 23-12-2011 04:50 AM

What to do for Christmas

snip
>Sounds like it's time to go to Golden Corral!
>
>monroe(great place for whiny pickys)

Yea, and a real shit place for the rest of us!

Gene 23-12-2011 04:55 AM

What to do for Christmas

On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 03:37:34 GMT, wrote:

>On 22-Dec-2011, Gene > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 01:45:32 -0600, "Storrmmee"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >something with cranberries is what struck me, mayb cranberry/manderine
>> >salad, Lee

>> snip
>>
>> Good idea. But no one in this house will eat cranberries. But me. I
>> eat everything but beets. Beets are the ONLY thing I HATE.
>>
>> I live in hell, I really do. I can cook just about anything.. but I
>> have picky eaters. Ann is the worst. You have no idea with her and
>> food. To Ann hot dogs are an entire food group!
>>
>> OK, here is where I head. A wasabe sesame vinaigrette for the salad
>> and balsamic/soy/sake reduction for the brussel spouts.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>

>> Gene

>I'm drooling on just the salad and sprouts. Can you get your hands
>on real wasabe? As for beets; I was ruined for beets before I was
>five years old. I spent a lot of time as an infant with grandparents,
>mostly in farm environments and in the winter to boot. Root
>vegetables including rutabegas, turnips and beets were the popular
>veggies of the day. I can do turnips, but beets and rutabegas are
>off my menu.

See, and people round this newsgroup think smoked sprouts sound bad!

Real wasabe? Sure. I grow it in the same fantasy land that turkeys get
brined in a 75 degree garage. J/K! I can get it but the place is about
60 miles away, sooo, it's the tube stuff for me.

Beets are the only thing I HATE!!!!!!

Nice to see there is another some what sane person left in this
universe.

Storrmmee 24-12-2011 05:56 AM

What to do for Christmas

i don't mind it if its the day they are serving the baked apples and spinach
pie, ... lol, Lee

Storrmmee 24-12-2011 05:58 AM

What to do for Christmas

love pickled beats, especially with mushrooms and onion, i can do a small
amount in a salad... turnips and rutas are wonderful with pork roast, Lee
.com...