Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default is anybody smoking for christmas

In another group someone was asking about christmas menus, i am curious what
you are having and if you are smoking anything, Lee

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 04:02:28 -0600, "Storrmmee"
> wrote:

>In another group someone was asking about christmas menus, i am curious what
>you are having and if you are smoking anything, Lee

Still not sure yet. Might do Prime Rib, might do ham. Money is tight
right now so we will decide tomorrow. Tomorrow is the deadline for
ordering a Prime and still having a few days to age it.

Gene

It is a solemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork.
- More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927
Mark Twain

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

either would taste good i am sure, and will bbe appreciated, money is
sucking right now... this is our slow season, and as i was winin' in another
post restocking has me freaked out, not sure if we are saving money by
staying home, or by eating at my or his moms, lol, Lee
"Gene" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 04:02:28 -0600, "Storrmmee"
> > wrote:
>
>>In another group someone was asking about christmas menus, i am curious
>>what
>>you are having and if you are smoking anything, Lee
>>

> Still not sure yet. Might do Prime Rib, might do ham. Money is tight
> right now so we will decide tomorrow. Tomorrow is the deadline for
> ordering a Prime and still having a few days to age it.
>
> Gene
>
> It is a solemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork.
> - More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927
> Mark Twain

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 04:02:28 -0600, "Storrmmee"
> wrote:

>In another group someone was asking about christmas menus, i am curious what
>you are having and if you are smoking anything, Lee

Not sure if you'd count this but my turkey, while not inside of a
smoker, will be done low and slow over a wood fire.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 20-Dec-2011, "Storrmmee" > wrote:

> In another group someone was asking about christmas menus, i am curious
> what
> you are having and if you are smoking anything, Lee

My neighbors are going to pit roast A whole hog. I am invited. I previously
posted pictures of their rig, but can post it again if anybody wants
to see how they do it. (A link to pics that is)

--
Brick(Better to remain silent and be thought a fool
then to speak up and remove all doubt)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

well it sounds good no matter how you label it, Lee
> wrote in message
> On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 04:02:28 -0600, "Storrmmee"
> > wrote:
>
>>In another group someone was asking about christmas menus, i am curious
>>what
>>you are having and if you are smoking anything, Lee
>>

> Not sure if you'd count this but my turkey, while not inside of a
> smoker, will be done low and slow over a wood fire.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

how lucky for you, Lee
> wrote in message
.com...

> On 20-Dec-2011, "Storrmmee" > wrote:
>
>> In another group someone was asking about christmas menus, i am curious
>> what
>> you are having and if you are smoking anything, Lee

> My neighbors are going to pit roast A whole hog. I am invited. I
> previously
> posted pictures of their rig, but can post it again if anybody wants
> to see how they do it. (A link to pics that is)
>
> --
> Brick(Better to remain silent and be thought a fool
> then to speak up and remove all doubt)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

snip
>> My neighbors are going to pit roast A whole hog. I am invited. I
>> previously
>> posted pictures of their rig, but can post it again if anybody wants
>> to see how they do it. (A link to pics that is)
>>
>> --
>> Brick(Better to remain silent and be thought a fool
>> then to speak up and remove all doubt)

Please do!

Gene

It is a solemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork.
- More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927
Mark Twain

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Storrmmee wrote:

> In another group someone was asking about christmas menus, i am curious what
> you are having and if you are smoking anything, Lee

No xmass anything, but planning on a New Years day dinner with a slow
smoked rib roast, baked sweet potatoes and popovers. Nothing too fancy,
just a simple dinner.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 20-Dec-2011, Gene > wrote:

> snip
> >> My neighbors are going to pit roast A whole hog. I am invited. I
> >> previously
> >> posted pictures of their rig, but can post it again if anybody wants
> >> to see how they do it. (A link to pics that is)
> >>
> >> --
> >> Brick(Better to remain silent and be thought a fool
> >> then to speak up and remove all doubt)

> Please do!
>
> Gene

Here's a link to the pictures of a recent whole hog block party. We're going
have another one for Christmas. They build a new pit for each party. There's
ten
or more men to help with the labor so it's not a problem.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/webU...48139746264507

--
Brick(Better to remain silent and be thought a fool
then to speak up and remove all doubt)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

> In another group someone was asking about christmas menus, i am curious
> what
> you are having and if you are smoking anything, Lee

My wife is smoking...hot. But for Christmas....duck.

--
//ceed (indeed)
"If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong"
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 13:48:57 GMT, wrote:

>> Please do!
>>
>> Gene

>Here's a link to the pictures of a recent whole hog block party. We're going
>have another one for Christmas. They build a new pit for each party. There's
>ten
>or more men to help with the labor so it's not a problem.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/webU...48139746264507

Had a hard time accessing the gallery, and then couldn't find any
picks of the spit or the whole hog?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

http://cuban-christmas.com/pigroast.html

--
Dave
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."......

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Dec 20, 2:02*am, "Storrmmee" > wrote:
> In another group someone was asking about christmas menus, i am curious what
> you are having and if you are smoking anything, Lee

Cooking for immediate family and extended in-laws. A 21lbs pre-
brined, frozen
bird was given to me, so it has been relaxing in an ice chest water
bath at 34-36F.
I'll let it go up to 40F Saturday. I was planning on a conventional
oven-roast but
the BBQ insanity has possessed me and I've decided to smoke it using
Chris
Lilly's "mostly wrapped" method, which sounds pretty darn fine, though
I expect
it'll take 10h. Glad I can let The Stoker do the work while I sleep.

I'm also probably going to do a couple racks of competition-style ribs
for fun.

A Merry Christmas to all my Christmas-celebratin' friends -
Dana

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

> >> Please do!
> >>
> >> Gene

> >Here's a link to the pictures of a recent whole hog block party. We're
> >going
> >have another one for Christmas. They build a new pit for each party.
> >There's
> >ten
> >or more men to help with the labor so it's not a problem.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/webU...48139746264507

> Had a hard time accessing the gallery, and then couldn't find any
> picks of the spit or the whole hog?

No wonder. That wasn't the complete link. This should work a little better.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1176587...December212011

--
Brick(Sorry about that)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

>> >Here's a link to the pictures of a recent whole hog block party. We're
>> >going
>> >have another one for Christmas. They build a new pit for each party.
>> >There's
>> >ten
>> >or more men to help with the labor so it's not a problem.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/webU...48139746264507

>> Had a hard time accessing the gallery, and then couldn't find any
>> picks of the spit or the whole hog?

>No wonder. That wasn't the complete link. This should work a little better.
>
>https://picasaweb.google.com/1176587...December212011

I get "Sorry, that page was not found."

Gene

It is a solemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork.
- More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927
Mark Twain

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 22:48:16 -0600, Gene >
wrote:

snip

>>No wonder. That wasn't the complete link. This should work a little better.
>>
>>https://picasaweb.google.com/1176587...December212011

>I get "Sorry, that page was not found."
>

>Gene
>
>It is a solemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork.
>- More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927
>Mark Twain

Same here...."Sorry, that page was not found."

Shinglhed
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible
warning.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/webU...48139746264507

> >> Had a hard time accessing the gallery, and then couldn't find any
> >> picks of the spit or the whole hog?

> >No wonder. That wasn't the complete link. This should work a little
> >better.
> >
> >https://picasaweb.google.com/1176587...December212011

> I get "Sorry, that page was not found."
>

> Gene

I can't explain that. It lights right up for me from your quoted post.

--
Brick(Better to remain silent and be thought a fool
then to speak up and remove all doubt)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 23-Dec-2011, wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 22:48:16 -0600, Gene >
> wrote:
>
> snip
> >>
> >>No wonder. That wasn't the complete link. This should work a little
> >>better.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1176587...December212011

> >I get "Sorry, that page was not found."
> >

> >Gene
> >
> >It is a solemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork.
> >- More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927
> >Mark Twain

> Same here...."Sorry, that page was not found."
>

> Shinglhed

Same response. I clicked on the link in your quote and it lights right up.
I can't explain what's happening. The link appears to be valid. It works
when I activate it. No sign in or searching required. The album displays
immediately.

--
Brick(Better to remain silent and be thought a fool
then to speak up and remove all doubt)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/webU...48139746264507

>> >No wonder. That wasn't the complete link. This should work a little
>> >better.
>> >
>> >https://picasaweb.google.com/1176587...December212011

>> I get "Sorry, that page was not found."
>>

>> Gene

>I can't explain that. It lights right up for me from your quoted post.

So will we ever get to see the spit or not?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/webU...48139746264507

> >> I get "Sorry, that page was not found."
> >>

> >> Gene

Try this site. It's supposed to be available to anyone with the link. I note
that
this link is not https (secure).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2736555...n/photostream/

--
Brick(Better to remain silent and be thought a fool
then to speak up and remove all doubt)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 30-Dec-2011, Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 01:17:59 GMT, wrote:

.. . .

> > Try this site. It's supposed to be available to anyone with the link. I
> > note
> > that
> > this link is not https (secure).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2736555...n/photostream/

> Are you pregnant, Brick?
>
> -sw (ducking. Plus I have short ribs, too)

Well, apparently that link works at least for some. About the question, I'm
to chicken to take the test. But that said, I'm not too into the immaculate
conception theory, so I suspect that it's merely a major tumor of some kind.

--
Brick(Better to remain silent and be thought a fool
then to speak up and remove all doubt)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 01:17:59 GMT, wrote:

snip

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/webU...48139746264507

>Try this site. It's supposed to be available to anyone with the link. I note
>that
>this link is not https (secure).
>
>http://www.flickr.com/photos/2736555...n/photostream/

Hey thanks! Ingenious idea using jack stands. What kind of motor do
you guys use? Where you guys using direct heat, I couldn't really tell
from the picture but it looks like the coals were directly under the
pig?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:

> snip

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/webU...48139746264507

> >Try this site. It's supposed to be available to anyone with the link. I
> >note
> >that
> >this link is not https (secure).
> >
> >http://www.flickr.com/photos/2736555...n/photostream/

> Hey thanks! Ingenious idea using jack stands. What kind of motor do
> you guys use? Where you guys using direct heat, I couldn't really tell
> from the picture but it looks like the coals were directly under the
> pig?

I was kind of amazed about the jack stands when first I saw them. I
have no idea where they got the motor. It appears to be a worm gear
reduction and quite powerful at the sprocket. It has no trouble turning
a 100 lb hog all day long. The fire is built around the perimeter of the
pit. There is a large inch deep pan directly under the hog to catch the
grease. It looks like a drip pan from someone's garage. They use dry
log splits and don't bother to pre-burn. The pit is open enough, that
the hog gets no acrid smoke. It works for them regardless of what
anybody else says.

One thing they do that I've never seen before is to cut deep holes in
every muscle of the hog and stuff their rub deep into the muscle. The
hog guy used my six inch boner to make holes as deep as the blade
length. It looks like they're really over seasoning the hog, but it turns
out very
lightly seasoned at the end.