Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Prime Rib

>What brand and model of infrared do you have? I'd appreciate knowing.
>
>Kent

The Ultra-Sear

http://www.heartlandamerica.com/brow...rill&pin=81388

but I got it used only once at a garage sale for $20.00. Looked like
it had never been used.

Here some guy did a you tube vid of it in action. Not a very good vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r__i2V2EQfY

Gene

It is a solemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork.
- More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927
Mark Twain

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:
> On 20-Dec-2011, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
>
>> Kent wrote:
>>
>>> I may try sand. That's a good idea. I wonder if any have tried it in
>>> this NG.

>> It has been a long recommended modification for the WSM in this NG.
>> --
>> Dave
>> "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion,
>> butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet,
>> balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take
>> orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze
>> a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal,
>> fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for
>> insects."...... Robert Heinlein

> That was a very kind comment Dave. You know and I know and
> everybody knows that Kent has been around this NG for long time.
> The subject of water pan with water/sand/ dry/no pan at all has
> been beaten to death. Nuff said.

I was just taking into account that eunuchs seem to suffer memory
degradation and high-pitched, whiny, nasally voices.
--
Dave
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."......
Robert Heinlein

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Dec 20, 5:37*pm, Gene > wrote:

> but I got it used only once at a garage sale for $20.00. Looked like
> it had never been used.
>
> Here some guy did a you tube vid of it in action. Not a very good vid.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r__i2V2EQfY

That was pretty amusing, "gonna check my pit" "oh yeah baby, do it!".

Dude was high.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> Kent wrote:
>
>> I may try sand. That's a good idea. I wonder if any have tried it in
>> this NG.

> It has been a long recommended modification for the WSM in this NG.
> --
> Dave

It was conversational. That's allowed. It would be of interest to know new
thoughts about smoking and sant.

Adding sand to a dry water bowl won't maintain temp at a low 250 forever.
The total mass of the smoker just heats up more slowly.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
news
> wrote:

>>> It has been a long recommended modification for the WSM in this NG.
>>> --
>>> Dave
>>> "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion,
>>> butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet,
>>> balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take
>>> orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze
>>> a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal,
>>> fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for
>>> insects."...... Robert Heinlein

>> That was a very kind comment Dave. You know and I know and
>> everybody knows that Kent has been around this NG for long time.
>> The subject of water pan with water/sand/ dry/no pan at all has
>> been beaten to death. Nuff said.

> I was just taking into account that eunuchs seem to suffer memory
> degradation and high-pitched, whiny, nasally voices.
> --
> Dave

I avoid responding to caustic comments made directly to me by those that
make them. When another poster has been blasted I occasionally will. My
comments now are an exception to this.

You are a cerebrally constipated individual. This is coupled to a massive
expressive ego, which hides your sense of your own limited self worth,
intelligence, etc. You're insecure.

I would suggest a cerebral enema. Your local physician provider would have
to manage that.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:
> "Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
>> Kent wrote:
>>
>>> I may try sand. That's a good idea. I wonder if any have tried it in
>>> this NG.

>> It has been a long recommended modification for the WSM in this NG.
>> --
>> Dave
>>

> It was conversational. That's allowed. It would be of interest to
> know new thoughts about smoking and sant.

Of course it would...<rolling eyes>

> Adding sand to a dry water bowl won't maintain temp at a low 250
> forever. The total mass of the smoker just heats up more slowly.

Bullfreakin' shit. I did it all the time, no problem. Of course one needs to
learn how to properly adjust the vents and proper fire size and control.
--
Dave
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."......
Robert Heinlein

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:
> "Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> news
>> wrote:

>>> That was a very kind comment Dave. You know and I know and
>>> everybody knows that Kent has been around this NG for long time.
>>> The subject of water pan with water/sand/ dry/no pan at all has
>>> been beaten to death. Nuff said.

>> I was just taking into account that eunuchs seem to suffer memory
>> degradation and high-pitched, whiny, nasally voices.
>> --
>> Dave
>>

> I avoid responding to caustic comments made directly to me by those
> that make them. When another poster has been blasted I occasionally
> will. My comments now are an exception to this.

Your entire being is an exception to the human race.

> You are a cerebrally constipated individual.

Bwahahahahahaha..... spoken like a Kent.

> This is coupled to a
> massive expressive ego, which hides your sense of your own limited
> self worth, intelligence, etc. You're insecure.

Compared to the shriveled and dried dung-heap that you call a mind, I can
see where a normal person might appear so.

> I would suggest a cerebral enema. Your local physician provider would
> have to manage that.

Kent, the humanoid bottle of metamucil-speak. Bwahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

You take a great photo, Kunt:

Dave
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."......
Robert Heinlein

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 12/21/2011 1:16 PM, Kent wrote:

> By the way, what does your comment "> ?suineg ,melborp a eeS ?esrevered eb
> dlouhs txet tsoP ?yllaeR" mean?
>
> Kent

You *CAN* be this obtuse. Grab a mirror, turn your back to whatever
instrument of torture you use to post with, and re-read that comment
again (with the mirror, dummy). I can only imagine the visual.
Sheesh.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Does it really matter?" > wrote in message
> On 12/21/2011 1:16 PM, Kent wrote:
>

>> By the way, what does your comment "> ?suineg ,melborp a eeS ?esrevered
>> eb
>> dlouhs txet tsoP ?yllaeR" mean?
>>
>> Kent
>>

> You *CAN* be this obtuse. Grab a mirror, turn your back to whatever
> instrument of torture you use to post with, and re-read that comment again
> (with the mirror, dummy). I can only imagine the visual.
> Sheesh.

yeah, but you spelled "esrevered" wrong.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 07:06:14 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 19:37:16 -0600, Gene wrote:
>
>> The Ultra-Sear
>>
>> http://www.heartlandamerica.com/brow...rill&pin=81388

>An excerpt from the customer review, "...She cooks up meats very
>nicely...".
>
>That's is just so ... wrong.
>
>-sw

Yep, I agree!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 07:25:35 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 07:01:33 -0800 (PST), tutall wrote:
>
>> On Dec 20, 5:37*pm, Gene > wrote:
>>
>>> but I got it used only once at a garage sale for $20.00. Looked like
>>> it had never been used.
>>>
>>> Here some guy did a you tube vid of it in action. Not a very good vid.
>>>
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r__i2V2EQfY
>>>

>> That was pretty amusing, "gonna check my pit" "oh yeah baby, do it!".
>>
>> Dude was high.

>What is wrong with these people - calling their grills and meat "she",
>"baby", and "sucker"? I think this grill *makes* people stupid. Be
>careful Gene ;-) (no wonder the guy sold it for $20 - it made him so
>stupid he couldn't even figure out how to work it anymore!)
>
>> Dude was high.

>He definitely sounded like a lifetime stoner rather than a naturally
>born low-IQer.
>
>-sw

The guy who sold it to me said that he got it for tail gate parties.
Used it once and realized that while it is very portable it is small
and way too hot for what he thought it would be good for.

He thought he could cook lots of food fast because of the heat. He
cooked it alright. To a crisp.

This all goes back to the thought that in order to learn how to do
good BBQ, and grilling, it helps to know how to cook first.

I agree, the dude had to be high. But we have grilled and Q'ed with
more than a few spirits in us eh?

Gene

It is a solemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork.
- More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927
Mark Twain

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 08:14:21 -0800, Does it really matter?
> wrote:

>On 12/21/2011 1:16 PM, Kent wrote:
>

>> By the way, what does your comment "> ?suineg ,melborp a eeS ?esrevered eb
>> dlouhs txet tsoP ?yllaeR" mean?
>>
>> Kent
>>

>You *CAN* be this obtuse. Grab a mirror, turn your back to whatever
>instrument of torture you use to post with, and re-read that comment
>again (with the mirror, dummy). I can only imagine the visual.
>Sheesh.

LOLPMP!
Gene

It is a solemn thought: dead, the noblest man's meat is inferior to pork.
- More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927
Mark Twain

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 08:17:48 -0800, "Pico Rico"
> wrote:

>"Does it really matter?" > wrote in message
>> On 12/21/2011 1:16 PM, Kent wrote:
>>

>>> By the way, what does your comment "> ?suineg ,melborp a eeS ?esrevered
>>> eb
>>> dlouhs txet tsoP ?yllaeR" mean?
>>>
>>> Kent
>>>

>> You *CAN* be this obtuse. Grab a mirror, turn your back to whatever
>> instrument of torture you use to post with, and re-read that comment again
>> (with the mirror, dummy). I can only imagine the visual.
>> Sheesh.

>yeah, but you spelled "esrevered" wrong.

This just keeps getting better!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 22-Dec-2011, Gene > wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 07:25:35 -0600, Sqwertz >
> wrote:

> >> That was pretty amusing, "gonna check my pit" "oh yeah baby, do it!".
> >>
> >> Dude was high.

> >What is wrong with these people - calling their grills and meat "she",
> >"baby", and "sucker"? I think this grill *makes* people stupid. Be
> >careful Gene ;-) (no wonder the guy sold it for $20 - it made him so
> >stupid he couldn't even figure out how to work it anymore!)
> >
> >> Dude was high.

> >He definitely sounded like a lifetime stoner rather than a naturally
> >born low-IQer.
> >
> >-sw

> The guy who sold it to me said that he got it for tail gate parties.
> Used it once and realized that while it is very portable it is small
> and way too hot for what he thought it would be good for.
>
> He thought he could cook lots of food fast because of the heat. He
> cooked it alright. To a crisp.
>
> This all goes back to the thought that in order to learn how to do
> good BBQ, and grilling, it helps to know how to cook first.
>
> I agree, the dude had to be high. But we have grilled and Q'ed with
> more than a few spirits in us eh?
>
> Gene

You make a good point Gene about knowing how to cook before
tackling a new piece of cooking hardware. In defense of someone
new to infrared burners, it's hard to imagine how different they are
from (regular) electric or gas burners until you've actually observed
one in operation.

--
Brick(Better to remain silent and be thought a fool
then to speak up and remove all doubt)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 12/24/2011 11:27 AM, wrote:
> On 22-Dec-2011, > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 07:25:35 -0600, >
>> wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r__i2V2EQfY

>>> What is wrong with these people - calling their grills and meat "she",
>>> "baby", and "sucker"? I think this grill *makes* people stupid. Be
>>> careful Gene ;-) (no wonder the guy sold it for $20 - it made him so
>>> stupid he couldn't even figure out how to work it anymore!)

>>> He definitely sounded like a lifetime stoner rather than a naturally
>>> born low-IQer.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> The guy who sold it to me said that he got it for tail gate parties.
>> Used it once and realized that while it is very portable it is small
>> and way too hot for what he thought it would be good for.
>>
>> He thought he could cook lots of food fast because of the heat. He
>> cooked it alright. To a crisp.
>>
>> This all goes back to the thought that in order to learn how to do
>> good BBQ, and grilling, it helps to know how to cook first.
>>
>> I agree, the dude had to be high. But we have grilled and Q'ed with
>> more than a few spirits in us eh?
>>
>> Gene

> You make a good point Gene about knowing how to cook before
> tackling a new piece of cooking hardware. In defense of someone
> new to infrared burners, it's hard to imagine how different they are
> from (regular) electric or gas burners until you've actually observed
> one in operation.

Big Jim says, "learn to cook the meat first". Rubs, marinates and mops
don't make a poorly cooked piece of meat better. They just compound the
issue of "where did I go wrong"? Learn to cook the meat, then work on
rubs, marinates and mops. Great advice. I know it is great advice,
because I have followed it.

Thanks Big Jim.

And yea, he was high. So high, I think he over cooked them steaks..

BBQ
--
Vegetarian

An old Indian term for poor hunter...

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Gene" > wrote in message
> snip
>
>>I consider the meat composition more important than the fat content.
>>
>>-sw

> Fine. Then eat it.
>
> Gene

I think meat composition and fat content are tied together irreversibly. The
calf is born on a ranch. The calf eats grass. At some point the calf
becomes adult. At this point the beef would grade as USDA Select. Cows may
be sent to a feedlot where they eat corn. During this feeding period the
meat changes. Readily visible fat content increases along with other
biochemical changes in the meat. At some point the cow becomes USDA choice.
Increased corn feeding results in USDA prime meat. There are most likely
other parameters that create different meat characteristics and the ultimate
taste. Diet, however, is the fundamental one.

Kent

Prime Rib? vex[_4_] Barbecue 15 09-01-2011 12:21 AM
Prime Rib [email protected] General Cooking 17 17-01-2006 07:19 PM
Prime Rib Tim Bowley Recipes (moderated) 0 25-02-2005 03:55 AM
Prime Rib PENMART01 General Cooking 12 07-07-2004 02:35 AM
Prime Rib on BBQ Doug Barbecue 7 18-06-2004 02:14 AM