Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Christmas Turkey

This year I'm going to do a turkey on my outdoor spit. I'm getting a
25 lb fresh turkey, which is a little small for my spit but anything
bigger and I'd be eating turkey for a month. I'll probably stuff it
with apples and onions. Still haven't decided if I'm going to brine it
or just inject it. I'll put up some pics afterwards. I really can't
wait as for some reason this is the first time this entire year that
I've used the spit. Probably because I've spent so much time working
on my smoking.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 10:17:25 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 22:54:45 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> Sounds interesting. If the turkey is the typical supermarket type, it
>> will be injected with a brine already, but injecting will give some
>> different flavor.

>The fresh, non-Butterball turkeys we get here are not pre-brined.
>They're just advertised as "up to 5% retained water" (no salt or
>phosphates).
>
>-sw

WTF is retained water? Does that mean the turkey did not pee for a
day before it was killed?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 22:54:45 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 08:10:28 -0500, wrote:
>
>>This year I'm going to do a turkey on my outdoor spit. I'm getting a
>>25 lb fresh turkey, which is a little small for my spit but anything
>>bigger and I'd be eating turkey for a month. I'll probably stuff it
>>with apples and onions. Still haven't decided if I'm going to brine it
>>or just inject it. I'll put up some pics afterwards. I really can't
>>wait as for some reason this is the first time this entire year that
>>I've used the spit. Probably because I've spent so much time working
>>on my smoking.

>Sounds interesting. If the turkey is the typical supermarket type, it
>will be injected with a brine already, but injecting will give some
>different flavor.
>
>At 25 pounds instead of eating turkey for a month, you can finish it
>up in only four weeks.

Not a supermarket turkey, getting it from an organic turkey farm
locally. I never knew just how big they can grow em. I've never seen a
turkey in a store bigger than 25 lbs so when they told me their
largest go 40 lbs I was taken aback! A 40lb bird would sure look good
on the spit and make for some great pictures but I think a lot would
end up going to waste. Shame, if it was summer I could just invite all
the friends over.....hmmm, maybe I'll keep that in mind for when the
weather changes.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> wrote in message
> This year I'm going to do a turkey on my outdoor spit. I'm getting a
> 25 lb fresh turkey, which is a little small for my spit but anything
> bigger and I'd be eating turkey for a month. I'll probably stuff it
> with apples and onions. Still haven't decided if I'm going to brine it
> or just inject it. I'll put up some pics afterwards. I really can't
> wait as for some reason this is the first time this entire year that
> I've used the spit. Probably because I've spent so much time working
> on my smoking.

I don't ever stuff a turkey. It's very hard to get the stuffing to a safe
temp, about 165F without overcooking the rest of the turkey. It would be
particularly difficult with a turkey that large. Make your turkey stock in
advance and make your stuffing on the side. When I don't have frozen turkey
stock I buy turkey parts and make a stock.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

turkey freezes well, Lee

Christmas Turkey? RegForte Barbecue 34 15-01-2010 09:40 AM
easy mexican christmas turkey recipe Brock Bailey Mexican Cooking 0 09-12-2008 03:22 AM
Christmas Turkey Question Wayne Boatwright General Cooking 10 25-11-2006 01:08 AM