Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Let's Preserve alt.food.barbecue

What can we do to preserve this NG? There's something rewarding about saying
what you want. Moderated Usenet NGs are dying faster than this nonmoderated
NG.

I have received lots of hints and how to's from this NG about cooking
outdoors, in spite of the trolling, in spite of the criticism about what's
important, and even, in spite of the snooty comments.

It would be good to hang on. A couple of points I would make:
1. Even though this NG was originated to write about "low and slow",
posts about grilling, even gas grilling should be acceptable. The emphasis
should be wood and charcoal, of course.
2. Off topic posts should be ignored and condemned. That's what is really
killing us.
3. Partially off topic posts about food, especially food tied to
barbecue, such as coleslaw and potato salad, should be OK.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:

> What can we do to preserve this NG? There's something rewarding about saying
> what you want. Moderated Usenet NGs are dying faster than this nonmoderated
> NG.
>
> I have received lots of hints and how to's from this NG about cooking
> outdoors, in spite of the trolling, in spite of the criticism about what's
> important, and even, in spite of the snooty comments.
>
> It would be good to hang on. A couple of points I would make:
> 1. Even though this NG was originated to write about "low and slow",
> posts about grilling, even gas grilling should be acceptable. The emphasis
> should be wood and charcoal, of course.
> 2. Off topic posts should be ignored and condemned. That's what is really
> killing us.
> 3. Partially off topic posts about food, especially food tied to
> barbecue, such as coleslaw and potato salad, should be OK.

Control freak's don't belong on usenet. You'll be happier elsewhere.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:
> What can we do to preserve this NG? There's something rewarding about
> saying what you want. Moderated Usenet NGs are dying faster than this
> nonmoderated NG.

Look in the mirror.

> I have received lots of hints and how to's from this NG about cooking
> outdoors, in spite of the trolling, in spite of the criticism about
> what's important, and even, in spite of the snooty comments.

But you usually read them or at least you interpret them assbackwards.

> It would be good to hang on. A couple of points I would make:
> 1. Even though this NG was originated to write about "low and
> slow", posts about grilling, even gas grilling should be acceptable.
> The emphasis should be wood and charcoal, of course.

Why don't you go and look up the FAQ? It's out there. It never mentions
anything about 97.645% of the BullShit that you bring up as being ON topic.

> 2. Off topic posts should be ignored and condemned. That's what is
> really killing us.

Yeah, like your beating everything to death, over and over again.

> 3. Partially off topic posts about food, especially food tied to
> barbecue, such as coleslaw and potato salad, should be OK.

But not unsafe shit like your brining in your garage. And certainly not
your incessant crying about "sous vid" shit.

> Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 6 Nov 2011 11:01:42 -0800, "Kent" >
wrote:

>It would be good to hang on. A couple of points I would make:
>1. Even though this NG was originated to write about "low and slow",
>posts about grilling, even gas grilling should be acceptable. The emphasis
>should be wood and charcoal, of course.

If you look at the original charter, outdoor grilling using charcoal,
propane, dried dung are all acceptable.

What the group really needs is more participant interested in barbecue
an grilling and a good discussion. Whiners, spammers, and the like
should be ignored. Discussion of methods of outdoor cooking should be
encouraged.

It is OK to be a purists, but this NG was designed and charted to
allow all types of grilling and barbecue. It should be encouraged,
not frowned upon.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 6 Nov 2011 11:01:42 -0800, "Kent" >
> wrote:
>

>>It would be good to hang on. A couple of points I would make:
>>1. Even though this NG was originated to write about "low and slow",
>>posts about grilling, even gas grilling should be acceptable. The emphasis
>>should be wood and charcoal, of course.

> If you look at the original charter, outdoor grilling using charcoal,
> propane, dried dung are all acceptable.
>
> What the group really needs is more participant interested in barbecue
> an grilling and a good discussion. Whiners, spammers, and the like
> should be ignored. Discussion of methods of outdoor cooking should be
> encouraged.
>
> It is OK to be a purists, but this NG was designed and charted to
> allow all types of grilling and barbecue. It should be encouraged,
> not frowned upon.

after all it is alt food barbecue, not alt food low and slow bbq or alt food
smoked bbq,
bbq is anything cooked outside wif FIRE and served wif beer and freinds, but
NO Kents
jmo

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 11/6/2011 5:15 PM, ChairMan wrote:

> bbq is anything cooked outside wif FIRE and served wif beer and freinds, but
> NO Kents

I think you misspelled his name.

Matthew

--

"Do the arithmetic or be doomed to talk nonsense." -- John McCarthy
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Nov 6, 12:51*pm, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> It is OK to be a purists, but this NG was designed and charted to
> allow all types of grilling and barbecue. *It should be encouraged,
> not frowned upon.

And it isn't. Not for a long damned time. JackSchidt was around when
that was going on.
The locals have long recognized the need to be more inclusive as pure
BBQ is just to specialized. Most here would like this to be a "BBQ
group that kicks ass at outdoor grilling too"

Every swinging dick that makes BBQ, grills, no exception. And some
make savory side dishes too.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kent wrote:
> What can we do to preserve this NG? There's something rewarding about
> saying what you want. Moderated Usenet NGs are dying faster than this
> nonmoderated NG.
>
> I have received lots of hints and how to's from this NG about cooking
> outdoors, in spite of the trolling, in spite of the criticism about
> what's important, and even, in spite of the snooty comments.
>
> It would be good to hang on. A couple of points I would make:
> 1. Even though this NG was originated to write about "low and
> slow", posts about grilling, even gas grilling should be acceptable.
> The emphasis should be wood and charcoal, of course.
> 2. Off topic posts should be ignored and condemned. That's what is
> really killing us.
> 3. Partially off topic posts about food, especially food tied to
> barbecue, such as coleslaw and potato salad, should be OK.

Gawd, it's Jerry's twin sister.
--
Dave
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."......

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Nov 6, 11:01*am, "Kent" > wrote:
> What can we do to preserve this NG?

Get more participants who won't offer misleading and dangerous
directions like one particular long time particpant specilaizes in?

Won't suggest the person in question kill himself, been there, done
that. But would once again tell that person that they are part of the
problem, not the cure. And pretending to care it trolling, you large
smelly asshole,

Believe that if Kent ever wiped, he'd die of malnutrition.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 11/6/2011 6:32 PM, Matthew L Martin wrote:
> On 11/6/2011 5:15 PM, ChairMan wrote:
>
>> bbq is anything cooked outside wif FIRE and served wif beer and
>> freinds, but
>> NO Kents

> I think you misspelled his name.
>
> Matthew

LoL..

I wonder if in Kents 'new charter' if this is acceptable just to have a
laugh.

Part of the reason usenet appears to be dying is there are many, many
websites devoted to hobbies of anything you can imagine. Those under 30
may not even be aware of usenet.

I participate in this group and ABF. They're both slowing down. But a
smaller group of subscribers dedicated to keeping it alive, is better
than a website of many members and the advertising that is thrown in for
the free access.

BBQ
--
Vegetarian

An old Indian term for poor hunter...

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 11/6/2011 8:15 PM, tutall wrote:
> On Nov 6, 12:51 pm, Ed > wrote:
>
>> It is OK to be a purists, but this NG was designed and charted to
>> allow all types of grilling and barbecue. It should be encouraged,
>> not frowned upon.

> And it isn't. Not for a long damned time. JackSchidt was around when
> that was going on.
> The locals have long recognized the need to be more inclusive as pure
> BBQ is just to specialized. Most here would like this to be a "BBQ
> group that kicks ass at outdoor grilling too"
>
> Every swinging dick that makes BBQ, grills, no exception. And some
> make savory side dishes too.

Not really sure what you're saying. I came here way back when, 97 or
so. The group is a barbecue topic. I don't recall that talking about
grilling being frowned upon. If someone mentioned grilling, thinking it
is barbecue, they were advised of the differences.

At least for me, it has been a place to talk about "outdoor cooking",
regardless of fuel (lump,briquettes or gas) or equipment (grill or
smoker). It is a place to learn the differences between grilling and
barbecue.

Occasionally, this clown mentioned to brine a turkey in the garage
before barbecuing. Knowledgeable folks would chip in to say DON'T do
that and explain why.

Hopefully, lurkers or newbies took the advice of the knowledgeable ones.
If not, they might not be around any longer, thanks to the clown.

BBQ - not mentioning who the clown is out of politeness
--
Vegetarian

An old Indian term for poor hunter...
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"bbq" > wrote in message
.com...
> On 11/6/2011 8:15 PM, tutall wrote:
>> On Nov 6, 12:51 pm, Ed > wrote:
>>
>>> It is OK to be a purists, but this NG was designed and charted to
>>> allow all types of grilling and barbecue. It should be encouraged,
>>> not frowned upon.

>> And it isn't. Not for a long damned time. JackSchidt was around when
>> that was going on.
>> The locals have long recognized the need to be more inclusive as pure
>> BBQ is just to specialized. Most here would like this to be a "BBQ
>> group that kicks ass at outdoor grilling too"
>>
>> Every swinging dick that makes BBQ, grills, no exception. And some
>> make savory side dishes too.
>>

> Not really sure what you're saying. I came here way back when, 97 or so.
> The group is a barbecue topic. I don't recall that talking about grilling
> being frowned upon. If someone mentioned grilling, thinking it is
> barbecue, they were advised of the differences.
>
> At least for me, it has been a place to talk about "outdoor cooking",
> regardless of fuel (lump,briquettes or gas) or equipment (grill or
> smoker). It is a place to learn the differences between grilling and
> barbecue.
>
> Occasionally, this clown mentioned to brine a turkey in the garage before
> barbecuing. Knowledgeable folks would chip in to say DON'T do that and
> explain why.
>
> Hopefully, lurkers or newbies took the advice of the knowledgeable ones.
> If not, they might not be around any longer, thanks to the clown.
>
> BBQ - not mentioning who the clown is out of politeness
> --

I agree with your comments. I don't think I'm being a clown.
Brining in a 38 degree November garage isn't any different than brining in a
38F refrigerator. If you have evidence saying no to that please share it.
Brining with 5-10% NaCl without oxygen is totally different than letting the
meat sit out at the brining temperature.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 07 Nov 2011 00:42:15 -0600, bbq > wrote:

>laugh.
>
>Part of the reason usenet appears to be dying is there are many, many
>websites devoted to hobbies of anything you can imagine. Those under 30
>may not even be aware of usenet.

A bigger reason is that may ISPs have taken down the USENET servers.
Many were lost when ATT and Verizon decided to no longer handle them
and people did not want to or know how to go to a news service.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 07 Nov 2011 05:50:19 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On Mon, 07 Nov 2011 00:42:15 -0600, bbq > wrote:
>

>>laugh.
>>
>>Part of the reason usenet appears to be dying is there are many, many
>>websites devoted to hobbies of anything you can imagine. Those under 30
>>may not even be aware of usenet.
>>

>A bigger reason is that may ISPs have taken down the USENET servers.
>Many were lost when ATT and Verizon decided to no longer handle them
>and people did not want to or know how to go to a news service.

Too true, many people I talk to don't even know what a news service
is! I often have to explain it and they always want to compare it to a
blog.

Shinglhed
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible
warning.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 6 Nov 2011 18:15:05 -0800 (PST), tutall >
wrote:

>On Nov 6, 12:51*pm, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> It is OK to be a purists, but this NG was designed and charted to
>> allow all types of grilling and barbecue. *It should be encouraged,
>> not frowned upon.

>And it isn't. Not for a long damned time. JackSchidt was around when
>that was going on.
>The locals have long recognized the need to be more inclusive as pure
>BBQ is just to specialized. Most here would like this to be a "BBQ
>group that kicks ass at outdoor grilling too"
>
>Every swinging dick that makes BBQ, grills, no exception. And some
>make savory side dishes too.

This group helped get me started. I lurked for several years working
on my technique and recipes learning as I went from information found
here. Most times I didn't even need to post the questions I had
because someone else had already done it...I just needed to read all
of the responses. Still like reading others tips because I still
haven't gotten it all quite right yet.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 11/7/2011 4:50 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Nov 2011 00:42:15 -0600, > wrote:
>

>> laugh.
>>
>> Part of the reason usenet appears to be dying is there are many, many
>> websites devoted to hobbies of anything you can imagine. Those under 30
>> may not even be aware of usenet.
>>

> A bigger reason is that may ISPs have taken down the USENET servers.
> Many were lost when ATT and Verizon decided to no longer handle them
> and people did not want to or know how to go to a news service.

That is very true..

BBQ
--
Vegetarian

An old Indian term for poor hunter...
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" > wrote in message
> What can we do to preserve this NG? There's something rewarding about
> saying what you want. Moderated Usenet NGs are dying faster than this
> nonmoderated NG.
>
> I have received lots of hints and how to's from this NG about cooking
> outdoors, in spite of the trolling, in spite of the criticism about what's
> important, and even, in spite of the snooty comments.
>
> It would be good to hang on. A couple of points I would make:
> 1. Even though this NG was originated to write about "low and slow",
> posts about grilling, even gas grilling should be acceptable. The emphasis
> should be wood and charcoal, of course.
> 2. Off topic posts should be ignored and condemned. That's what is
> really killing us.
> 3. Partially off topic posts about food, especially food tied to
> barbecue, such as coleslaw and potato salad, should be OK.
>
> Kent

I wonder if alt.food.preserving is having discussions about barbecuing their
newsgroup.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 07 Nov 2011 00:42:15 -0600, bbq > wrote:
>

>>laugh.
>>
>>Part of the reason usenet appears to be dying is there are many, many
>>websites devoted to hobbies of anything you can imagine. Those under 30
>>may not even be aware of usenet.
>>

> A bigger reason is that may ISPs have taken down the USENET servers.
> Many were lost when ATT and Verizon decided to no longer handle them
> and people did not want to or know how to go to a news service.

That is the bottom line, I think. However, rec.food.cooking gets 30 or so
original posts daily, and the threads that follow.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 06 Nov 2011 19:32:02 -0500, Matthew L Martin wrote:
>
>> On 11/6/2011 5:15 PM, ChairMan wrote:
>>
>>> bbq is anything cooked outside wif FIRE and served wif beer and freinds,
>>> but
>>> NO Kents

>> I think you misspelled his name.

> Hey Matthew. Whatever happened to your buddy Kevin from the Kilbology
> group?
>
> Come to think of it, this group has had worse eras. Like when we had
> Kevin and his crosspostings hanging out here. Kent is a drop in the
> bucket compared to that.
>
> -sw

And Swertz, you're a pint! The big question is, a pint of what??

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Nov 7, 9:16*pm, "Kent" > wrote:

> The same, I'm afraid, with this NG- Hide quoted text -

Your only "contributions" here has been trolling or complaining.
You've never, ever been a valued contributor, you've never, ever been
considered part of the community, all you've ever been, at best, is
considered the village idiot. However ever since your very personal
attacks on DaveB, you are pretty much just shit to be wiped off our
shoes, you small, small man. Have come across a few on usenet more
pathetic, but not many.

GTFO already.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article
tutall > wrote:

> On Nov 7, 9:16*pm, "Kent" > wrote:
>
> > The same, I'm afraid, with this NG- Hide quoted text -

> Your only "contributions" here has been trolling or complaining.
> You've never, ever been a valued contributor, you've never, ever been
> considered part of the community, all you've ever been, at best, is
> considered the village idiot. However ever since your very personal
> attacks on DaveB, you are pretty much just shit to be wiped off our
> shoes, you small, small man. Have come across a few on usenet more
> pathetic, but not many.
>

> GTFO already.

<applause>
<whistling>
Preach that truth,Brother D!
<more applause>

monroe(more 'alt.food.barbecue' less
'alt.Kunt.dork.stupid.stupid.stupid')
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 06:28:18 -0800 (PST), tutall wrote:
>
> > On Nov 7, 9:16*pm, "Kent" > wrote:
> >
> >> The same, I'm afraid, with this NG- Hide quoted text -

> > Your only "contributions" here has been trolling or complaining.
> > You've never, ever been a valued contributor, you've never, ever been
> > considered part of the community, all you've ever been, at best, is
> > considered the village idiot. However ever since your very personal
> > attacks on DaveB, you are pretty much just shit to be wiped off our
> > shoes, you small, small man. Have come across a few on usenet more
> > pathetic, but not many.

> Hey, what am I, chopped smoked liver? I command quite a few personal
> attacks :-) Not just here, but in two other groups of Kent's as well.
>
> -sw

Sorry,Steve-you just don't have the natural-born 'talent' to take your
game to that next level.

monroe(not everyone can turn pro,bro)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Nov 8, 10:58*am, Sqwertz > wrote:

> Hey, what am I, chopped smoked liver? *I command quite a few personal
> attacks :-) *Not just here, but in two other groups of Kent's as well.

That's the difference between a useful and useless idiot, ya big
dummy.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Nov 2011 06:28:18 -0800 (PST), tutall wrote:
>
>> On Nov 7, 9:16 pm, "Kent" > wrote:
>>
>>> The same, I'm afraid, with this NG- Hide quoted text -

>> Your only "contributions" here has been trolling or complaining.
>> You've never, ever been a valued contributor, you've never, ever been
>> considered part of the community, all you've ever been, at best, is
>> considered the village idiot. However ever since your very personal
>> attacks on DaveB, you are pretty much just shit to be wiped off our
>> shoes, you small, small man. Have come across a few on usenet more
>> pathetic, but not many.

> Hey, what am I, chopped smoked liver? I command quite a few personal
> attacks :-) Not just here, but in two other groups of Kent's as well.
>
> -sw

Yeah, but somewhere, way deep down inside, very well hidden, we are all
sure that you have some redeeming social qualities or values.

Or, maybe not.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

This group was the best tutor for me when I got my bullet smoker. I
don't know where else I would have gotten the fantastic information that
AFB provided. Without my dear BBQ mavens, I'd still be struggling.

I've been a Usenet Junkie since 1995. Usenet is famous for it's dog
poop to chocolate ratio. I can use a delete key, my fliters and ignore
headers that are of no interest to me.

I would be very sad to lose this group and the knowledgeable (and mostly
kind)people here.
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Nov 2011 19:32:02 -0500, Matthew L Martin wrote:
>
>> On 11/6/2011 5:15 PM, ChairMan wrote:
>>
>>> bbq is anything cooked outside wif FIRE and served wif beer and
>>> freinds, but NO Kents

>> I think you misspelled his name.

> Hey Matthew. Whatever happened to your buddy Kevin from the Kilbology
> group?

I believe that Kevin and Matthew were Twins, separated at birth and
reunited on usenet.

> Come to think of it, this group has had worse eras. Like when we had
> Kevin and his crosspostings hanging out here. Kent is a drop in the
> bucket compared to that.
>
> -sw

True. Kent is the drop in the bucket, so to speak.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

ChairMan wrote:
> "Kent" > wrote in message
>>

>> What I'm saying another way is that people should be more courteous.
>> Every time one posts he has to think about Sqwertz, and several
>> others. This drives off most lurkers. Once you've posted for awhile
>> you can take it. Kent
>>

> Speak for yourself, and don't assume how *you* think other people feel
> before they make a post.
> Also, how do you know it drives off lurkers? They are lurkers, how do
> you know they even exist?
> Do they email you and tell you so? And who are these others?
> There's just a handful of people here that post on a regular basis.
> Do you mean all of the regular posters?
> Please be more clear and concise with your OFF TOPIC post

Yes. They do e-mail him in private. These e-mails show very strong
support for the Brine-Boy.
I believe at last count, the lurkers were sending on average 272.5 e-mails
per DAY.
I know this because for about a week and a half, my newsreader had somehow
automatically hacked into kent's e-mail account and all of his e-mails were
also forewarded to me.
That was the worst week and a half of my life.
Fortunately, I didn't read enough of them to find out who these "others"
were. My eyes were wounded enough from reading the few that I did read.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Pico Rico wrote:
> "A.Nonny.Mouse" > wrote in message
>>
>> If'n ya don't post Bull Shit, you don't really have to worry about
>> Squertz or any body else.
>>
>> If'n ya DO post Bull shit, you deserve to have that same shit
>> crammed down yer throat.
>>
>> Think about that for a while, Brine-Boy.
>>
>> I've been on both sides, and I admit, when I was posting the shit, I
>> deserved it. I don't think I believed it at the time, but it was
>> deserved, irregardless.
>>
>> HTH
>> HAND

> "irregardless"? Is that even a word?

LOL I don't really know. I read it on usenet and liked it so I started
using it.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Nov 11, 3:32*pm, "A.Nonny.Mouse" > wrote:
> Pico Rico wrote:

> > "irregardless"? *Is that even a word?

> LOL *I don't really know. *I read it on usenet and liked it so I started
> using it.- Hide quoted text -

It's a good word for baiting spelling/grammar nazis with, they ****ing
despise this (non) word.

Pico, you only nibbled at it, didn't take a full bite.

Member

Location: Australia

Very informative thread. I came to know so much about the barbecues here.