Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Has this group died?

Has everyone been eaten by trolls?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Oct 17, 6:10*am, Shawn Martin > wrote:
> Has everyone been eaten by trolls?

It's like an old married couple comfortable with occasional silence.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Oct 17, 8:10*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 08:10:58 -0500, Shawn Martin wrote:
> > Has everyone been eaten by trolls?

> Spares: $2.99/lb ($14)
> Butt: $2.49/lb ($22)
> St Louis Spares: $4.08 ($14)
> Brisket $2.19/lb ($32)
>
> **** BBQ'ing at those prices. *The meat industry/lobby is trying to
> cash in. *And I hope they learn a lesson.

Cash in on what?

Or do you mean just plain ole fashioned gouging? Food prices are up
across the board. No suprise when petroleum is the basis for both
fertilizer _and_ transport.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Shawn Martin" > wrote in message
> Has everyone been eaten by trolls?

Not completely 'eaten', but gummed a good deal, and think I may lose a toe
from them.

None the less, smoked a couple racks of spare ribs last week. Had them in
the freezer. Turned out great, as usual, but price of meat is a real
deterrent right now.

Bob-tx

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

>Has everyone been eaten by trolls?

I'm alive,

-Zz

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Shawn Martin" > wrote in message
> Has everyone been eaten by trolls?

It is like terminal cancer. It, along with all of Usenet, is dying.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 08:10:58 -0500, Shawn Martin
> wrote:

>Has everyone been eaten by trolls?

I was beginning to wonder the same thing!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 08:44:37 -0700 (PDT), tutall wrote:

> >> Spares: $2.99/lb ($14)
> >> Butt: $2.49/lb ($22)
> >> St Louis Spares: $4.08 ($14)
> >> Brisket $2.19/lb ($32)
> >>
> >> **** BBQ'ing at those prices. The meat industry/lobby is trying to
> >> cash in. And I hope they learn a lesson.

> > Cash in on what?
> >
> > Or do you mean just plain ole fashioned gouging? Food prices are up
> > across the board. No suprise when petroleum is the basis for both
> > fertilizer _and_ transport.

> Yes, gouging. Gas is $3.16 - the lowest it's been for quite a while.

Gas prices have little to do with food prices, diesel is what matters
and the two prices have been rather disconnected from each other lately.
Diesel is $3.69 around here and a lot higher in other states.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 10/17/2011 10:10 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 08:10:58 -0500, Shawn Martin wrote:
>
>> Has everyone been eaten by trolls?

> Spares: $2.99/lb ($14)
> Butt: $2.49/lb ($22)
> St Louis Spares: $4.08 ($14)
> Brisket $2.19/lb ($32)
>
> **** BBQ'ing at those prices. The meat industry/lobby is trying to
> cash in. And I hope they learn a lesson.
>
> OTOH, I bought 7lbs of pork loin end chops (the kind with the dark
> loin meat on them - not the "assorted chops") for $1.77/lb yesterday.
> 6lbs of bone in chicken breasts for $1/lb. 3lbs of seasoned chicken
> leg quarters for $.89/lb. 4lbs of 16-20ct shrimp for $5/lb, 10lbs of
> 5-7oz IQF tilapia fillets for $1.78/lb. And a quart of Dulce de Leche
> ice cream for $2.50.
>
> Oh, and some cilantro for $.28 ;-)
>
> -sw
>
> -sw

I saw an ad for chicken legs, thighs, breasts and whole chicken, $1.29
lb. If they can afford to sell those parts at $1.29 lb., they can afford
to sell the wings to, at least once a year for a "customer appreciation
sale". Somehow, we need to organize a boycott of wings.

I have not bought raw wings in probably a year or more. But have gotten
wings at Buffalo Wild Wings on Wing Tuesday's, a dozen for $6.00.

It looks like wings are being produced for the large volume buyers.
Hard to raise chicken wings only, so they have an abundance of the other
parts that they NEED to sell to.

Boycott wings, whether raw or as an appetizer at your favorite
restaurant. Pound for pound for the meat, wings could be more expensive
then Rib Eye steak...

BBQ
--
Vegetarian

An old Indian term for poor hunter...
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 03:05:09 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>> Boycott wings, whether raw or as an appetizer at your favorite
>> restaurant. Pound for pound for the meat, wings could be more expensive
>> then Rib Eye steak...

>Wings never go on sale because they have steady buyers. Other parts
>go on sale depeding on exports, chicken manufacturing demand (nuggets
>and "stuff"), and other factors. I've never had(*) to pay more than
>$1/lb for any chicken part except wings.
>
>At buy them low, freeze most of it, and eat them high ;-)
>
>-sw

For years, wings have been my favorite. They were cheap all the time,
on sale frequently. I've paid as little as 5¢ a pound for them. KFC
used to offer a 7 wing special for a buck.

Then some asshole in Buffalo came up with an idea to serve them with
hot sauce. He screwed up wing sales ever since. The price is
incredibly high and no signs of changing. At least until science
comes up with a six winged bird.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 10/22/2011 7:00 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 03:05:09 -0500, >
> wrote:
>

>>> Boycott wings, whether raw or as an appetizer at your favorite
>>> restaurant. Pound for pound for the meat, wings could be more expensive
>>> then Rib Eye steak...

>> Wings never go on sale because they have steady buyers. Other parts
>> go on sale depeding on exports, chicken manufacturing demand (nuggets
>> and "stuff"), and other factors. I've never had(*) to pay more than
>> $1/lb for any chicken part except wings.
>>
>> At buy them low, freeze most of it, and eat them high ;-)
>>
>> -sw

> For years, wings have been my favorite. They were cheap all the time,
> on sale frequently. I've paid as little as 5¢ a pound for them. KFC
> used to offer a 7 wing special for a buck.
>
> Then some asshole in Buffalo came up with an idea to serve them with
> hot sauce. He screwed up wing sales ever since. The price is
> incredibly high and no signs of changing. At least until science
> comes up with a six winged bird.

Probably more effective to just boycott wings, then wait for science to
produce a six wing bird...

My most recent purchase of wings at Buffalo Wild Wings was on Wing
Tuesday's. I got 12 wings for $6.00(tax included). 2 boxes of 6 wings
each. About 30 percent off regular price.

I weighed 1 box before I ate them and weighed it again with the bones
bare and came up with 5 OZ's of meat for those 6 wings. The wings were
separated, so actually 3 wings, minus the tips.

That makes the meat cost over $18.00 per lb. at a restaurant. I've had a
16 OZ Sirloin meal(salad, bread, potato and mixed veggie included) for
$15.00, plus beverage, tax and tip. The Sirloin is a better value.

Chicken is supposed to be a less expensive meat. Not the wings though.

Boycott wings, whether raw from the grocer, or as an appetizer at your
favorite place.

Wings are spendy...

BBQ
--
Vegetarian

An old Indian term for poor hunter...
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 23-Oct-2011, bbq > wrote:

> On 10/22/2011 7:00 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

.. . .

> Chicken is supposed to be a less expensive meat. Not the wings though.
>
> Boycott wings, whether raw from the grocer, or as an appetizer at your
> favorite place.
>
> Wings are spendy...
>
> BBQ

Yeh, but, but, they're finger food and they're good. AND I'm spoiled rotten.
Now that you've made me feel bad, I'll make do with a lowly loin steak
tonight, one of those chincy Delmonicos I'm always raving about. Besides,
my deep fryer is broken and I haven't installed the new switch yet.

--
Brick((Not believing that "Chincy" is not in the dictionary)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Oct 17, 8:10*am, Shawn Martin > wrote:
> Has everyone been eaten by trolls?

no they switched to the boiled rib bbq group.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 10/23/2011 1:04 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Oct 2011 00:35:48 -0500, bbq wrote:
>
>> My most recent purchase of wings at Buffalo Wild Wings was on Wing
>> Tuesday's. I got 12 wings for $6.00(tax included). 2 boxes of 6 wings
>> each. About 30 percent off regular price.

> BW3 used to have $.25 wings and $.50 legs on Tuesdays. That was the
> wing place I used to used to patronize (on Tuesdays). They shut down
> and are now a bikini bar.

You don't patronize it now and see breasts of varying sizes for the
price of a beverage? ;-)

>> Boycott wings, whether raw from the grocer, or as an appetizer at your
>> favorite place.

> Unless you have a very organized group, all you can really do is just
> stop buying them personally. It would be nearly impossible to get a
> large group to stop buying wings. Kinda like me bitching at people to
> stop posting OT (not here, but in another group).
>
> -sw

I realize don't have much of a chance to boycott wings and be effective.
Many around here are already frugal and if they buy wings, not often,
since other parts of the chicken are frequently 99 cents/lb or less.

I know a waitress who works at a BWW. On Wing Tuesday, she had a table
that ordered 200 wings. That's 50 birds that sacrificed their wings for
her table. She was kinda shocked. But a table of beer drinkers
watching sports, can go through a lot of wings..

BBQ
--
Vegetarian

An old Indian term for poor hunter...
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 10/23/2011 2:06 PM, Brick wrote:
> On 23-Oct-2011, > wrote:
>
>> On 10/22/2011 7:00 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> . . .
>

>> Chicken is supposed to be a less expensive meat. Not the wings though.
>>
>> Boycott wings, whether raw from the grocer, or as an appetizer at your
>> favorite place.
>>
>> Wings are spendy...
>>
>> BBQ

> Yeh, but, but, they're finger food and they're good. AND I'm spoiled rotten.
> Now that you've made me feel bad, I'll make do with a lowly loin steak
> tonight, one of those chincy Delmonicos I'm always raving about. Besides,
> my deep fryer is broken and I haven't installed the new switch yet.

Legs and thighs are finger food to. The Delmonico can be to, if sliced
thin for a steak sandwich !!!! And I know you can slice it thin now ...

BBQ
--
Vegetarian

An old Indian term for poor hunter...
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 10/24/2011 2:42 PM, bbq wrote:

> I realize don't have much of a chance to boycott wings and be effective.
> Many around here are already frugal and if they buy wings, not often,
> since other parts of the chicken are frequently 99 cents/lb or less.
>
> I know a waitress who works at a BWW. On Wing Tuesday, she had a table
> that ordered 200 wings. That's 50 birds that sacrificed their wings for
> her table. She was kinda shocked. But a table of beer drinkers watching
> sports, can go through a lot of wings..
>
> BBQ

A burger/breakfast place I go to gets a box of wings, 7 orders worth for
$48.00. They sell an order for $8.00. That is hard for me to believe
that they have a menu item that they only make about a buck on an order.
It's not like they are the greatest wings and people expect them to
have them. It's a burger/breakfast place, not a sports bar where they
can try and get more profit on other items.

I guess individual restaurants get robbed too.

BBQ
--
Vegetarian

An old Indian term for poor hunter...
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 10/27/2011 12:54 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 14:42:02 -0500, bbq wrote:
>
>> I know a waitress who works at a BWW.

> It's BW3 or BWWW. Never BWW, even though that is an abbreviation of
> their new name. Buffalo Wild Wings and Weck, IIRC. The first one I
> ate at was the original in Columbus Ohio.
>
> -sw

Thanks for the history lesson. Odd that their original store is in
Columbus, Ohio and corporate offices in Minneapolis..

I read that in 2009 their wing costs went from $1.22 lb. to $1.70 lb.
The increase mainly due to the price of corn. I wonder what is so
special about corn. Large hog farmers plant acres of corn for feed. Corn
is also needed to produce Ethanol fuel.

1800 full time employees with 773 stores. Less then 3 full timers per
store. Easily about 20 employees on duty when I was there last.

IMO, their overhead is low. Waitresses can get paid less then minimum
wage. Being P/T, no benefits other then maybe some vacation time. Big
deal. If working 25 hours a week, they get $150 or so at $6.00/hr for 1
week of vacation benefits.

I have heard, though have not verified, that P/T help is not covered
under workers comp laws in Minnesota either. Not to mention they
probably practice age discrimination too. At the store I was at, I
didn't see anyone over 30. Corporate = Crooks.

BBQ
--
Vegetarian

An old Indian term for poor hunter...
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 14:42:02 -0500, bbq wrote:
>
> > I know a waitress who works at a BWW.

> It's BW3 or BWWW. Never BWW, even though that is an abbreviation of
> their new name. Buffalo Wild Wings and Weck, IIRC. The first one I
> ate at was the original in Columbus Ohio.
>
> -sw

Hmmm.
I always thot that the 3 Ws stood for 'World's Worst Wings'.
Weck? Like 'beef on weck'?
Hrmph!

monroe(can't spell 'wreck' w/o 'weck')

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 10/27/2011 7:23 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 16:09:32 -0500, bbq wrote:

>>> It's BW3 or BWWW. Never BWW, even though that is an abbreviation of
>>> their new name. Buffalo Wild Wings and Weck, IIRC. The first one I
>>> ate at was the original in Columbus Ohio.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> Thanks for the history lesson. Odd that their original store is in
>> Columbus, Ohio and corporate offices in Minneapolis..

>> I read that in 2009 their wing costs went from $1.22 lb. to $1.70 lb.

> I can't believe that since they have much buying power than that and I
> have never seen wings for over $2/lb.

I read it on Yahoo Finance in their profile. Maybe they are adding
purchasing costs overhead to that. I find it hard to believe to. If the
grocers get similar pricing, that means they only make 50 cents lb.

It would be nice to find wholesale pricing. The few times I have tried,
Ive been met with resistance or no call back if leaving my number..

BBQ
--
Vegetarian

An old Indian term for poor hunter...
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 10/28/2011 4:44 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 16:34:29 -0500, bbq wrote:
>
>> It would be nice to find wholesale pricing. The few times I have tried,
>> Ive been met with resistance or no call back if leaving my number..

> Marty reports that he gets wings for under $1.10/lb. I get them here
> for $1.29 or so (in 10-40lb lots).
>
> -sw

You and Marty get great pricing. BW3 must be not be telling the truth
then. Which is no surprise...

BBQ
--
Vegetarian

An old Indian term for poor hunter...
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

The death of Usenet has been reported since the phrase "Eternal September"
was coined in 1993. People who are old enough to remember when Bill Clinton
was President talk about the good old days, but even in the 1990s Usenet was
full of spam, trolling and flame wars.

Today, Usenet is pumping out over 8 terabytes of data a day, but most of
that is copyright violation of movies, music and games on the paid servers.

Who died? ImStillMags General Cooking 22 08-04-2011 09:00 PM
My Mom Died jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 102 26-11-2008 03:50 PM
Alt Group Intend to Take Over This Group Bakerman Baking 4 25-06-2008 03:50 AM
Dad Died (OT) jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 78 05-03-2008 05:48 AM
Proofs of LORD Almighty GOD: Pastorio died on April Fool's day and diabetic neighbor FR's soul died today. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD[_8_] General Cooking 8 08-05-2007 03:19 AM