Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

Default Back ribs prices

Earlier this week, the supermarket down the road had vacuum packed
back ribs for $2.99 per pound. The same supermarket also sells back
ribs (not vacuum packed) at the meat counter for $8.59 per pound.
Ouch. They are trimmed of too much meat for that price IMO. I
wouldn't pay that much.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

"A Moose in Love" > wrote in message
> Earlier this week, the supermarket down the road had vacuum packed
> back ribs for $2.99 per pound. The same supermarket also sells back
> ribs (not vacuum packed) at the meat counter for $8.59 per pound.
> Ouch. They are trimmed of too much meat for that price IMO. I
> wouldn't pay that much.

I want to know who DOES pay that much for those ribs, and how do they
prepare them?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thursday, September 15, 2011 11:10:11 PM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:

> 2.99 is OK. I might buy some at that price since that's currently the
> price for St Louis style spare ribs. Pork butt is up to $2.33/lb.
> WTF?

Lately around here everyone is adding pulled pork to their menu. Sub shops, pubs, food courts, everyone is selling pulled pork. It's all crock pot/braised and soaked in sauce. I served pulled pork to a party of 70 people and lots of them said they had never had real pulled pork before. A few wanted to know where I'd bought my WSM.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 16-Sep-2011, Cam > wrote:

> On Thursday, September 15, 2011 11:10:11 PM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:
> >
> > 2.99 is OK. I might buy some at that price since that's currently the
> > price for St Louis style spare ribs. Pork butt is up to $2.33/lb.
> > WTF?
> >

> Lately around here everyone is adding pulled pork to their menu. Sub
> shops, pubs, food courts, everyone is selling pulled pork. It's all crock
> pot/braised and soaked in sauce. I served pulled pork to a party of 70
> people and lots of them said they had never had real pulled pork before. A
> few wanted to know where I'd bought my WSM.

For sure crockpot pork is a different experience entirely, but it can be
quite
good as evidenced by 'Kili's' Kalua Pig. I made a pot of that a few weeks
ago
and it practically evaporated from my frig with just myself eating it.

Brick (That's my story and I'm sticking to it)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 10:04:11 -0700 (PDT), Cam >
wrote:

>On Thursday, September 15, 2011 11:10:11 PM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> 2.99 is OK. I might buy some at that price since that's currently the
>> price for St Louis style spare ribs. Pork butt is up to $2.33/lb.
>> WTF?
>>

>Lately around here everyone is adding pulled pork to their menu. Sub shops, pubs, food courts,
>everyone is selling pulled pork. It's all crock pot/braised and soaked in sauce. I served pulled pork
>to a party of 70 people and lots of them said they had never had real pulled pork before. A few
>wanted to know where I'd bought my WSM.

Sounds like when my in-laws came for a visit a month or so ago. I put
20 pounds of pork picknic on the smoker and hickory smoked it for
twelve hours. I was told by my father in law that I was wasting a lot
of wood, charcoal, and time cooking it that way. According to him,
pulled pork was pulled pork and I should have just made it in the
crock pot simmering in bbq sauce.

He very quickly changed his mind when I gave him a sample, and then
ate several large portions for dinner without the sauce. He seemed to
like the grilled corn on the cob also.

Hopefully I'll get a couple more on this weekend. Should be good
smoking weather.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> Sounds like when my in-laws came for a visit a month or so ago. I put
> 20 pounds of pork picknic on the smoker and hickory smoked it for
> twelve hours. I was told by my father in law that I was wasting a lot
> of wood, charcoal, and time cooking it that way. According to him,
> pulled pork was pulled pork and I should have just made it in the
> crock pot simmering in bbq sauce.
>
> He very quickly changed his mind when I gave him a sample, and then
> ate several large portions for dinner without the sauce.

yep, that's the way so shut him up alright!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 16:52:04 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>I was going to respond to this but I don't feel re-wrapping every
>google-posters lines for the next 10 years - so I'm drawing line now.
>
>No more responses to googlers from now on. Or at least until Google
>fixes the problem.
>
>-sw

Good you, draw line!

Cam
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,rec.food.cooking

On 16-Sep-2011, Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 06:29:58 -0700, Pico Rico wrote:
>
> > "A Moose in Love" > wrote in message
> >> Earlier this week, the supermarket down the road had vacuum packed
> >> back ribs for $2.99 per pound. The same supermarket also sells back
> >> ribs (not vacuum packed) at the meat counter for $8.59 per pound.
> >> Ouch. They are trimmed of too much meat for that price IMO. I
> >> wouldn't pay that much.

> > I want to know who DOES pay that much for those ribs, and how do they
> > prepare them?

> I'm sure they prepare them the same as the $4/lb ribs :-)
> Careless/carefree shoppers usually make lousy cooks.
>
> -sw

I keep thinking about the woman I followed in the checkout at
Whole Foods here in Tampa. She bought two chickens for $12/ea.
I was flabbergasted that anyone would pay $12 for a $6 chicken,
let alone two at a time. What can one do in the raising of chickens
to make them worth double?

--
Brick(Too soon old and too late smart)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Brick wrote:
> On 16-Sep-2011, Sqwertz > wrote:

>>> I want to know who DOES pay that much for those ribs, and how do they
>>> prepare them?

>> I'm sure they prepare them the same as the $4/lb ribs :-)
>> Careless/carefree shoppers usually make lousy cooks.
>>
>> -sw

> I keep thinking about the woman I followed in the checkout at
> Whole Foods here in Tampa. She bought two chickens for $12/ea.
> I was flabbergasted that anyone would pay $12 for a $6 chicken,
> let alone two at a time. What can one do in the raising of chickens
> to make them worth double?

It's called marketing, and surprising enough, I have found rich people
(those who have money, not those who made it) are particularly
vulnerable.

BTW: If someone actually offered me $6.00 for one of my broilers, I'd
run for the hatchet. I am usually lucky to get $4.50.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 19:28:07 GMT, "Brick"
> wrote:

>On 16-Sep-2011, Sqwertz > wrote:

>> > I want to know who DOES pay that much for those ribs, and how do they
>> > prepare them?

>> I'm sure they prepare them the same as the $4/lb ribs :-)
>> Careless/carefree shoppers usually make lousy cooks.
>>
>> -sw

>I keep thinking about the woman I followed in the checkout at
>Whole Foods here in Tampa. She bought two chickens for $12/ea.
>I was flabbergasted that anyone would pay $12 for a $6 chicken,
>let alone two at a time. What can one do in the raising of chickens
>to make them worth double?

There are lots of people where I live that sell what they claim to be
free range organic chicken, for $4-$6 a pound. I don't buy any but
lots of people do, I think they suffer some psychosis. My next door
neighbor raises such chickens and sells them. even the local
restaurants buy them. I buy national brand name oven stuffer roasters
at the stupidmarket for like $1/lb, my cats love them, how bad can
they be. I'm not big on eating chicken, I have chicken maybe four
times a year, but still I ain't so feather brained to pay like $5/lb
for bird meat any cat can bring home. Several of my nearby neighbors
raise chickens for meat and eggs, some have fabulous web sites, only
reason I don't post them is I don't need the entire web to know
exactly where I live.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

See what about my response? I am using Forte Agent newsreader, not
google groups.

On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 19:25:31 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>See Mike's response for an example of the quote problem. He tried to
>fix parts of it but the lines are still too long. Dialog will fix it
>as well, but I have to highlight the whole big long line then hit a
>rewrap button, then snip what I wanted to respond to.... Sorry -
>Homey don't play that game.
>
>BTW: I didn't have your email address. I was in Kansas City on
>Wednesday at 12:00pm to 1:20pm on a Greyhound layover. I tried to
>send you a message saying I'd buy lunch but I posted it to the wrong
>group. Which is good, because the bus was 1:15 minutes late anyway
>and I only had 5 minutes there in Kansas City after all(*)
>
>ObBBQ: Brisket tomorrow.
>
>-sw
>
>(*) But that would have been long enough for you to deliver some of
>your ribs... ;-) I was starving for decent non-Greyhound fare!

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 00:12:31 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 18:52:23 -0400, mike wrote:
>
>> See what about my response? I am using Forte Agent newsreader, not
>> google groups.

>You responded to a GG post. Which was all ****ed up. Not your fault.
>Never mind.
>
>-sw

My reader must straighten them out some how because I haven't seen any
screwed up messages from GG. On rare occasion, I will see one that is
just one long line of text that I don't bother spending the effort
even reading.

Can't really see the use in google groups other than one more thing
for google to claim as a service. ah well...
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 1 Oct 2011 15:18:37 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 16:13:37 -0400, mike wrote:
>
>> Can't really see the use in google groups other than one more thing
>> for google to claim as a service. ah well...

>It's all about data mining and marketing. That is Google sole
>purpose.
>
>-sw

Yep, and there is one hell of a profit margin on that data. Social
networking sites do the same thing. A free service is never free.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 20:23:36 -0400, mike wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 1 Oct 2011 15:18:37 -0500, >
>> wrote:

>>> It's all about data mining and marketing. That is Google sole
>>> purpose.

Precisely.

>> Yep, and there is one hell of a profit margin on that data. Social
>> networking sites do the same thing. A free service is never free.

> Facebook is sending all me personal email and status updates to
> another person. It's been doing this for a week. I'm about ready to
> dump facebook if it's not fixed by Tuesday.

How about Sunday?

I just got done doing a batch run for one of these sites. Analyze
the click stream for "affinities" based on usage history. Blah
blah.

No amount of money could get me to add IRL data to facebook or any
of these other creepy sites. I say this as one of the creeps.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 1 Oct 2011 19:32:15 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 20:23:36 -0400, mike wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 1 Oct 2011 15:18:37 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>>It's all about data mining and marketing. That is Google sole
>>>purpose.

>> Yep, and there is one hell of a profit margin on that data. Social
>> networking sites do the same thing. A free service is never free.

>Facebook is sending all me personal email and status updates to
>another person. It's been doing this for a week. I'm about ready to
>dump facebook if it's not fixed by Tuesday.
>
>-sw

I use facebook to see what some of my friends and relatives are up to,
but very rarely ever post anything. My profile is all but blank.

When I do post something I look it over and decide if there is
anything in it that could bite me in the ass later, influence a hiring
decision, or give information to marketers. Even then, I delete it
after a day or two max. I guess I am just paranoid, but I am okay
with that.