Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

Default Ribs, smoked then grilled

Has anyone ever tried side ribs this way? At the restaurant where I
worked when I was going to high school, the ribs were put into an
electric smoker. A few times per week, maybe three times per week or
so. When an order came in, they were put over charcoal (briquettes,
not lump) sauced and served. They were a real hit.
The manager, the general manager at the time though was a degreed
asshole who didn't have the respect of anyone.
I think that this method of cooking is great for restaurants, because
you don't have to worry about ribs that are 2 days old. Just grill
em' up. I wish I had their bbq sauce recipe though.
The sweet rib recipe I know though. Through trial and error.
They were smoked like their regular ribs. The sauce was this:
Brown sugar, apple juice, and ginger ale. This was cooked down for
about 30 minutes or so until it got a bit syrupy. When an order for
sweet ribs came in, the ribs were dumped into this sauce and simmered
for quite a while, about 15 to 20 minutes or so. We didn't get very
many orders for sweet ribs. On a busy Saturday night, perhaps 5
orders if that. They were pretty good though. In their own right.
You see what they did though. They braised their pig tails in brown
sugar, apple juice and ginger ale. Then they used that liquid to do
their sweet ribs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

A Moose in Love wrote:
> Has anyone ever tried side ribs this way? At the restaurant where I
> worked when I was going to high school, the ribs were put into an
> electric smoker. A few times per week, maybe three times per week or
> so. When an order came in, they were put over charcoal (briquettes,
> not lump) sauced and served. They were a real hit.
> The manager, the general manager at the time though was a degreed
> asshole who didn't have the respect of anyone.
> I think that this method of cooking is great for restaurants, because
> you don't have to worry about ribs that are 2 days old. Just grill
> em' up. I wish I had their bbq sauce recipe though.
> The sweet rib recipe I know though. Through trial and error.
> They were smoked like their regular ribs. The sauce was this:
> Brown sugar, apple juice, and ginger ale. This was cooked down for
> about 30 minutes or so until it got a bit syrupy. When an order for
> sweet ribs came in, the ribs were dumped into this sauce and simmered
> for quite a while, about 15 to 20 minutes or so. We didn't get very
> many orders for sweet ribs. On a busy Saturday night, perhaps 5
> orders if that. They were pretty good though. In their own right.
> You see what they did though. They braised their pig tails in brown
> sugar, apple juice and ginger ale. Then they used that liquid to do
> their sweet ribs.

This is a commonly used technique in restaurants. Par cook it with
smoke, then finish on a grill right before service.

Only done for the convenience of the server. If you're cooking it
yourself you may as well do it right.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

"A Moose in Love" > wrote in message
> Has anyone ever tried side ribs this way? At the restaurant where I
> worked when I was going to high school, the ribs were put into an
> electric smoker. A few times per week, maybe three times per week or
> so. When an order came in, they were put over charcoal (briquettes,
> not lump) sauced and served. They were a real hit.

yes, I use an electric smoker, then grill. Some people claim they are the
best they ever had, but who knows what the heck they have been eating.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 15:19:00 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

>Has anyone ever tried side ribs this way? At the restaurant where I
>worked when I was going to high school, the ribs were put into an
>electric smoker. A few times per week, maybe three times per week or
>so. When an order came in, they were put over charcoal (briquettes,
>not lump) sauced and served. They were a real hit.
>The manager, the general manager at the time though was a degreed
>asshole who didn't have the respect of anyone.
>I think that this method of cooking is great for restaurants, because
>you don't have to worry about ribs that are 2 days old. Just grill
>em' up. I wish I had their bbq sauce recipe though.
>The sweet rib recipe I know though. Through trial and error.
>They were smoked like their regular ribs. The sauce was this:
>Brown sugar, apple juice, and ginger ale. This was cooked down for
>about 30 minutes or so until it got a bit syrupy. When an order for
>sweet ribs came in, the ribs were dumped into this sauce and simmered
>for quite a while, about 15 to 20 minutes or so. We didn't get very
>many orders for sweet ribs. On a busy Saturday night, perhaps 5
>orders if that. They were pretty good though. In their own right.
>You see what they did though. They braised their pig tails in brown
>sugar, apple juice and ginger ale. Then they used that liquid to do
>their sweet ribs.

My BIL used to service kitchen equipment for many national and
regional chain restaurants (as opposd to bona-fide BBQ joints).
According to him, nearly all of them steam the racks to near doneness,
and then grill in sauce when ordered. He serviced the steamers,
grills, ranges, &tc.

-Zz
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In article >,
A Moose in Love > wrote:

> The manager, the general manager at the time though was a degreed
> asshole who didn't have the respect of anyone.

aw, so you were fired?

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

"A Moose in Love" > wrote in message
> Has anyone ever tried side ribs this way? At the restaurant where I
> worked when I was going to high school, the ribs were put into an
> electric smoker. A few times per week, maybe three times per week or
> so. When an order came in, they were put over charcoal (briquettes,
> not lump) sauced and served. They were a real hit.
> The manager, the general manager at the time though was a degreed
> asshole who didn't have the respect of anyone.
> I think that this method of cooking is great for restaurants, because
> you don't have to worry about ribs that are 2 days old. Just grill
> em' up. I wish I had their bbq sauce recipe though.
> The sweet rib recipe I know though. Through trial and error.
> They were smoked like their regular ribs. The sauce was this:
> Brown sugar, apple juice, and ginger ale. This was cooked down for
> about 30 minutes or so until it got a bit syrupy. When an order for
> sweet ribs came in, the ribs were dumped into this sauce and simmered
> for quite a while, about 15 to 20 minutes or so. We didn't get very
> many orders for sweet ribs. On a busy Saturday night, perhaps 5
> orders if that. They were pretty good though. In their own right.
> You see what they did though. They braised their pig tails in brown
> sugar, apple juice and ginger ale. Then they used that liquid to do
> their sweet ribs.

I'm sure it beats the heck out of par-boiling them like a guy I know does.
Bob-tx

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue
tom tom is offline

"A Moose in Love" > wrote in message
> Has anyone ever tried side ribs this way? At the restaurant where I
> worked when I was going to high school, the ribs were put into an
> electric smoker. A few times per week, maybe three times per week or
> so. When an order came in, they were put over charcoal (briquettes,
> not lump) sauced and served. They were a real hit.

The last couple times I've smoked ribs in a WSM for a couple hours then
sealed them in Aluminum foil and baked them for 2 hours at 225 and then did
about 20 minutes on the gas grill for a little crisp and char. They've been
some of the most moist and well smoked ribs I've done. Could be wrong but
the baking seems to enhance the previous smoking process. I see, and taste,
a more pronounced smoke ring and smoke flavor. And the couple hours in the
oven imparts a glorious smoke perfume that lingers in the house a day or so.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 16:51:51 -0700, Mort > wrote:

>A Moose in Love wrote:
>> Has anyone ever tried side ribs this way?

>This is a commonly used technique in restaurants. Par cook it with
>smoke, then finish on a grill right before service.
>
>Only done for the convenience of the server. If you're cooking it
>yourself you may as well do it right.

I know a guy with a commercial electric smoker. He does them for a
few restaurants and caterers. I've had them several times finished
over charcoal, lump, and a gas grill. The lump is the best but it's
still not like smoking the whole time with lump/wood. They never got
enough flavor and needed sauce.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 04:34:32 -0500, "Bob-tx" <No Spam no contact>
wrote:

>"A Moose in Love" > wrote in message
>> Has anyone ever tried side ribs this way? At the restaurant where I
>> worked when I was going to high school, the ribs were put into an
>> electric smoker. A few times per week, maybe three times per week or
>> so. When an order came in, they were put over charcoal (briquettes,
>> not lump) sauced and served. They were a real hit.
>> The manager, the general manager at the time though was a degreed
>> asshole who didn't have the respect of anyone.
>> I think that this method of cooking is great for restaurants, because
>> you don't have to worry about ribs that are 2 days old. Just grill
>> em' up. I wish I had their bbq sauce recipe though.
>> The sweet rib recipe I know though. Through trial and error.
>> They were smoked like their regular ribs. The sauce was this:
>> Brown sugar, apple juice, and ginger ale. This was cooked down for
>> about 30 minutes or so until it got a bit syrupy. When an order for
>> sweet ribs came in, the ribs were dumped into this sauce and simmered
>> for quite a while, about 15 to 20 minutes or so. We didn't get very
>> many orders for sweet ribs. On a busy Saturday night, perhaps 5
>> orders if that. They were pretty good though. In their own right.
>> You see what they did though. They braised their pig tails in brown
>> sugar, apple juice and ginger ale. Then they used that liquid to do
>> their sweet ribs.

>I'm sure it beats the heck out of par-boiling them like a guy I know does.
>Bob-tx

Does he save the water for soup?

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 10:31:27 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 04:34:32 -0500, "Bob-tx" <No Spam no contact>
> wrote:
>>
>>I'm sure it beats the heck out of par-boiling them like a guy I know does.
>>Bob-tx

> Does he save the water for soup?
>
> Lou

pork broth is just not something i can wrap my mind around. (ham seems
different somehow.)

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

pork broth occurs in a lot of asian soups, Lee
"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 10:31:27 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 04:34:32 -0500, "Bob-tx" <No Spam no contact>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>>I'm sure it beats the heck out of par-boiling them like a guy I know
>>>does.
>>>Bob-tx

>> Does he save the water for soup?
>>
>> Lou

> pork broth is just not something i can wrap my mind around. (ham seems
> different somehow.)
>
> your pal,
> blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

"Lou Decruss" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 04:34:32 -0500, "Bob-tx" <No Spam no contact>
> wrote:
>

>>"A Moose in Love" > wrote in message
>>> Has anyone ever tried side ribs this way? At the restaurant where I
>>> worked when I was going to high school, the ribs were put into an
>>> electric smoker. A few times per week, maybe three times per week or
>>> so. When an order came in, they were put over charcoal (briquettes,
>>> not lump) sauced and served. They were a real hit.
>>> The manager, the general manager at the time though was a degreed
>>> asshole who didn't have the respect of anyone.
>>> I think that this method of cooking is great for restaurants, because
>>> you don't have to worry about ribs that are 2 days old. Just grill
>>> em' up. I wish I had their bbq sauce recipe though.
>>> The sweet rib recipe I know though. Through trial and error.
>>> They were smoked like their regular ribs. The sauce was this:
>>> Brown sugar, apple juice, and ginger ale. This was cooked down for
>>> about 30 minutes or so until it got a bit syrupy. When an order for
>>> sweet ribs came in, the ribs were dumped into this sauce and simmered
>>> for quite a while, about 15 to 20 minutes or so. We didn't get very
>>> many orders for sweet ribs. On a busy Saturday night, perhaps 5
>>> orders if that. They were pretty good though. In their own right.
>>> You see what they did though. They braised their pig tails in brown
>>> sugar, apple juice and ginger ale. Then they used that liquid to do
>>> their sweet ribs.

>>I'm sure it beats the heck out of par-boiling them like a guy I know does.
>>Bob-tx

> Does he save the water for soup?
>
> Lou

I don't know, but that's a good question. I wish I'd thought of it.
Bob-tx

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,rec.food.cooking

On 14-Sep-2011, "Storrmmee" > wrote:

> pork broth occurs in a lot of asian soups, Lee
> "blake murphy" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 10:31:27 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:

> >> Does he save the water for soup?
> >>
> >> Lou

> > pork broth is just not something i can wrap my mind around. (ham seems
> > different somehow.)
> >
> > your pal,
> > blake

Thanks for that tip Lee. A few token veggies and some noodles and Viola!
Asian soup. I suppose most folks just buy the Ramen in the single serve
packages, but larger packages of plain noodles are available at all of the
asian stores and probably in the ethnic sections of most big stores. I use
the stuff a lot, but tend to forget because of my Pennsylvania Dutch
heritage.

--
Brick(Too soon old and too late smart)
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 21:03:57 -0500, Storrmmee wrote:

> pork broth occurs in a lot of asian soups, Lee

oh, i know it's widely used but it smells funny to me.

your pal,
blake

> "blake murphy" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 10:31:27 -0500, Lou Decruss wrote:

>>> Does he save the water for soup?
>>>
>>> Lou

>> pork broth is just not something i can wrap my mind around. (ham seems
>> different somehow.)
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,rec.food.cooking

Marty wrote:

> Thing is, no matter how good it tastes, pig soup is never going to sound
> good!

So call it something different! "Ragout du Cochon", for example.

Bob

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,rec.food.cooking

and in a pinch fetticcini, sp works, my rip off version is 2 cups pork
broth, 1 cup chicken broth, put in pot, heat taste spice as you would like,
add noodles to boiling broth, turn down to simmer, then add veggies of
choice, often this is an adventure soup where i add the leftovervegetables
that are already precooked.

if you are going to use raw veggies, cut/dice and put in broth first, then
add noodles after veggies are cooked and then any precooked veggies after
noodles are done, its not really asian unless you spice it that way, but its
asian like, lol, Lee
"Brick" > wrote in message
.com...

> On 14-Sep-2011, "Storrmmee" > wrote:
>
>> pork broth occurs in a lot of asian soups, Lee

>> > pork broth is just not something i can wrap my mind around. (ham seems
>> > different somehow.)
>> >
>> > your pal,
>> > blake

> Thanks for that tip Lee. A few token veggies and some noodles and Viola!
> Asian soup. I suppose most folks just buy the Ramen in the single serve
> packages, but larger packages of plain noodles are available at all of the
> asian stores and probably in the ethnic sections of most big stores. I use
> the stuff a lot, but tend to forget because of my Pennsylvania Dutch
> heritage.
>
> --
> Brick(Too soon old and too late smart)

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.food.barbecue

all pork/products have an odd smell when they are bing heated so the broth
is no different to me, when its cooled and skimmed when reheated isn't bad
at all, Lee
"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 21:03:57 -0500, Storrmmee wrote:
>
>> pork broth occurs in a lot of asian soups, Lee

> oh, i know it's widely used but it smells funny to me.
>
> your pal,
> blake

>>> pork broth is just not something i can wrap my mind around. (ham seems
>>> different somehow.)
>>>
>>> your pal,
>>> blake

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Depending on the crowd I sometimes smoke ribs in my WSM and then sauce them and carmelize the sauce on the gas grill. I don't do that if it's just my wife and I but for a lot of people that's what they want and expect.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,rec.food.cooking

On 16-Sep-2011, "Storrmmee" > wrote:

> "Brick" > wrote in message

.. . .

> > Thanks for that tip Lee. A few token veggies and some noodles and Viola!
> > Asian soup. I suppose most folks just buy the Ramen in the single serve
> > packages, but larger packages of plain noodles are available at all of
> > the
> > asian stores and probably in the ethnic sections of most big stores. I
> > use
> > the stuff a lot, but tend to forget because of my Pennsylvania Dutch
> > heritage.
> >

> and in a pinch fetticcini, sp works, my rip off version is 2 cups pork
> broth, 1 cup chicken broth, put in pot, heat taste spice as you would
> like,
> add noodles to boiling broth, turn down to simmer, then add veggies of
> choice, often this is an adventure soup where i add the leftovervegetables
>
> that are already precooked.
>
> if you are going to use raw veggies, cut/dice and put in broth first, then
>
> add noodles after veggies are cooked and then any precooked veggies after
> noodles are done, its not really asian unless you spice it that way, but
> its
> asian like, lol, Lee

all good suggestions Lee. On top of that, I tend to add snippets of leftover
meat.

> > --
> > Brick(Too soon old and too late smart)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,rec.food.cooking

we don't often have that much left of the meat catagory, the dh usually
takes care of those, Lee
> wrote in message
. com...

> On 16-Sep-2011, "Storrmmee" > wrote:
>
>> "Brick" > wrote in message

> . . .
>

>> > Thanks for that tip Lee. A few token veggies and some noodles and
>> > Viola!
>> > Asian soup. I suppose most folks just buy the Ramen in the single serve
>> > packages, but larger packages of plain noodles are available at all of
>> > the
>> > asian stores and probably in the ethnic sections of most big stores. I
>> > use
>> > the stuff a lot, but tend to forget because of my Pennsylvania Dutch
>> > heritage.
>> >

>> and in a pinch fetticcini, sp works, my rip off version is 2 cups pork
>> broth, 1 cup chicken broth, put in pot, heat taste spice as you would
>> like,
>> add noodles to boiling broth, turn down to simmer, then add veggies of
>> choice, often this is an adventure soup where i add the
>> leftovervegetables
>>
>> that are already precooked.
>>
>> if you are going to use raw veggies, cut/dice and put in broth first,
>> then
>>
>> add noodles after veggies are cooked and then any precooked veggies after
>> noodles are done, its not really asian unless you spice it that way, but
>> its
>> asian like, lol, Lee

> all good suggestions Lee. On top of that, I tend to add snippets of
> leftover
> meat.
>
>> > --
>> > Brick(Too soon old and too late smart)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 02:41:25 GMT, "Brick"
> wrote:

> Brick(Too soon old and too late smart)

Hey, Brick... nice to see you! Are you here to stay or do you not
know you've been crossposting to rfc?

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.