Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Can't grille or barbecue

Am in Central Texas, and was going to smoke a turkey. It was about then
that the terrible wildfires started. It is so dry (5.7 inches ytd), hot (74
days of 100 +) and windy, that everything is a tinder box.

The county issued restrictions on any outdoor fire, including barbecue pits
and gas grilles, so we roasted the turkey in the over. It was very good,
but wasn't smoked like I had my taste buds set for.

Oh, the country also said not to mow because there could be a spark if the
blade hit a rock. I was going to spot mow under our trees where we have
been watering. Now, I can't even mow - son of a gun, I guess I just have to
live with it. (smile).

Bob-tx

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Bob-tx" <No Spam no contact> wrote in message
> Am in Central Texas, and was going to smoke a turkey. It was about then
> that the terrible wildfires started. It is so dry (5.7 inches ytd), hot
> (74 days of 100 +) and windy, that everything is a tinder box.
>
> The county issued restrictions on any outdoor fire, including barbecue
> pits and gas grilles, so we roasted the turkey in the over. It was very
> good, but wasn't smoked like I had my taste buds set for.

you should have just left it on the back porch a while to get the smoke
flavor.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 9 Sep 2011 05:49:17 -0500, Bob-tx wrote:

> Am in Central Texas, and was going to smoke a turkey. It was about then
> that the terrible wildfires started. It is so dry (5.7 inches ytd), hot (74
> days of 100 +) and windy, that everything is a tinder box.
>
> The county issued restrictions on any outdoor fire, including barbecue pits
> and gas grilles, so we roasted the turkey in the over. It was very good,
> but wasn't smoked like I had my taste buds set for.
>
> Oh, the country also said not to mow because there could be a spark if the
> blade hit a rock. I was going to spot mow under our trees where we have
> been watering. Now, I can't even mow - son of a gun, I guess I just have to
> live with it. (smile).
>
> Bob-tx

I remember way back in early spring it was dry as bone here and windy too.
I got a $105 ticket for throwing a cigarette out of my truck.

I think it should be at least a caning if not hanging offense in Texas
right now.

TFM®
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sep 9, 9:26*am, TFM® > wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Sep 2011 05:49:17 -0500, Bob-tx wrote:
> > Am in Central Texas, and was going to smoke a turkey. *It was about then
> > that the terrible wildfires started. *It is so dry (5.7 inches ytd), hot (74
> > days of 100 +) and windy, that everything is a tinder box.

> > The county issued restrictions on any outdoor fire, including barbecue pits
> > and gas grilles, so we roasted the turkey in the over. *It was very good,
> > but wasn't smoked like I had my taste buds set for.

> > Oh, the country also said not to mow because there could be a spark if the
> > blade hit a rock. *I was going to spot mow under our trees where we have
> > been watering. *Now, I can't even mow - son of a gun, I guess I just have to
> > live with it. (smile).

> > Bob-tx

> I remember way back in early spring it was dry as bone here and windy too..
> I got a $105 ticket for throwing a cigarette out of my truck.
>
> I think it should be at least a caning if not hanging offense in Texas
> right now.
>
> TFM®

What an idiot for throwing the butt out the window. They should have
thrown your ass in jail.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 9 Sep 2011 11:41:05 -0700 (PDT), Chemo the Clown wrote:

> On Sep 9, 9:26*am, TFM® > wrote:
>> On Fri, 9 Sep 2011 05:49:17 -0500, Bob-tx wrote:
>>> Am in Central Texas, and was going to smoke a turkey. *It was about then
>>> that the terrible wildfires started. *It is so dry (5.7 inches ytd), hot (74
>>> days of 100 +) and windy, that everything is a tinder box.

>>> The county issued restrictions on any outdoor fire, including barbecue pits
>>> and gas grilles, so we roasted the turkey in the over. *It was very good,
>>> but wasn't smoked like I had my taste buds set for.

>>> Oh, the country also said not to mow because there could be a spark if the
>>> blade hit a rock. *I was going to spot mow under our trees where we have
>>> been watering. *Now, I can't even mow - son of a gun, I guess I just have to
>>> live with it. (smile).

>>> Bob-tx

>> I remember way back in early spring it was dry as bone here and windy too.
>> I got a $105 ticket for throwing a cigarette out of my truck.
>>
>> I think it should be at least a caning if not hanging offense in Texas
>> right now.
>>
>> TFM®

> What an idiot for throwing the butt out the window. They should have
> thrown your ass in jail.

There's a big difference in throwing a butt out in town and throwing one
out in the country.

Do you really think a parking lot will burst into flame? Oh, maybe that 8
by 10 square of grass over there? Yeah, that could set the world on fire.

Have you ever been told you're an assmonkey?
Yep, you have. Repeatedly. You still don't get it, do you?

You're an assmonkey, STFU.

TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sep 9, 2:02*pm, TFM® > wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Sep 2011 11:41:05 -0700 (PDT), Chemo the Clown wrote:

> >> I remember way back in early spring it was dry as bone here and windy too.
> >> I got a $105 ticket for throwing a cigarette out of my truck.

> >> I think it should be at least a caning if not hanging offense in Texas
> >> right now.

> >> TFM®

> > What an idiot for throwing the butt out the window. They should have
> > thrown your ass in jail.

> There's a big difference in throwing a butt out in town and throwing one
> out in the country.
>
> Do you really think a parking lot will burst into flame? *Oh, maybe that 8
> by 10 square of grass over there? *Yeah, that could set the world on fire.
>
> Have you ever been told you're an assmonkey?
> Yep, you have. *Repeatedly. *You still don't get it, do you?
>
> You're an assmonkey, STFU.
>
> TFM®

What ythe **** do you think the ashtray in the car is for...not only
are you an idiot for throwing a butt out the window where it could
start a fire but now you're just a ****ing litterbug. Put the damn cig
out in the ashtray and then empty the ashtray when you get home. Jesus
Christ!!
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Bob-tx wrote:

> It is crap like this that really discourages me, and perhaps others from posting. I was
> just making a comment because things were slow on here, and it turns into a fight.
>
> I was going to send everybody a gift certificate for for your choice of a pork butt or a
> brisket, but now I'm just not in the mood to do it anymore.
>
> Go fight your battles privately.

I WANT my gift certificate

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 10:52:00 -0700 (PDT), Chemo the Clown wrote:

> What ythe **** do you think the ashtray in the car is for...not only
> are you an idiot for throwing a butt out the window where it could
> start a fire but now you're just a ****ing litterbug. Put the damn cig
> out in the ashtray and then empty the ashtray when you get home. Jesus
> Christ!!

The cig was filterless. Totally bio-degradable. Might I also reiterate
that asphalt is highly unlikely to reach combustible temperature from a
cigarette.

As far as littering, I never throw trash out of my vehicle (can't stand to
see it done, even) aside from a cig butt if I deem it safe.

Little did I know that that one particular butt (tossed in a safe location)
would set a fire in my wallet causing over a hundred dollars worth of
damage.

TFM®
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sep 11, 12:09*am, TFM® > wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 10:52:00 -0700 (PDT), Chemo the Clown wrote:
>
> > What ythe **** do you think the ashtray in the car is for...not only
> > are you an idiot for throwing a butt out the window where it could
> > start a fire but now you're just a ****ing litterbug. Put the damn cig
> > out in the ashtray and then empty the ashtray when you get home. Jesus
> > Christ!!

> The cig was filterless. *Totally bio-degradable. *Might I also reiterate
> that asphalt is highly unlikely to reach combustible temperature from a
> cigarette.
>
> As far as littering, I never throw trash out of my vehicle (can't stand to
> see it done, even) aside from a cig butt if I deem it safe.
>
> Little did I know that that one particular butt (tossed in a safe location)
> would set a fire in my wallet causing over a hundred dollars worth of
> damage.
>
> TFM®

It's still littering and you deserve the fine. Just because it might
be biodegradable doesn't mean that someone might not have to come out
and clean the lot up before the ****ing thing degrades. God, you an
idiot. I suppose you just toss the butts around in your house.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

TFM® wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Sep 2011 10:52:00 -0700 (PDT), Chemo the Clown wrote:
>

> > What ythe **** do you think the ashtray in the car is for...not only
> > are you an idiot for throwing a butt out the window where it could
> > start a fire but now you're just a ****ing litterbug. Put the damn cig
> > out in the ashtray and then empty the ashtray when you get home. Jesus
> > Christ!!

> The cig was filterless. Totally bio-degradable. Might I also reiterate
> that asphalt is highly unlikely to reach combustible temperature from a
> cigarette.
>
> As far as littering, I never throw trash out of my vehicle (can't stand to
> see it done, even) aside from a cig butt if I deem it safe.
>
> Little did I know that that one particular butt (tossed in a safe location)
> would set a fire in my wallet causing over a hundred dollars worth of
> damage.
>
> TFM®

FWIW, here in north TX I see an awful lot of burned patches along the
side of the concrete paved highways, sometimes I see them actively
burning with a few fire trucks trying to put them out. The concrete may
not burn, but that butt can readily be blown off the concrete onto the
grass. Please use an ashtray.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 00:13:45 -0500, Omelet wrote:

>> great. thanks for telling us all how to live our lives.

> You can do what you want... It's manufacturers that need to be
> responsible. How long now has it been since you've seen those plastic
> rings that held 6 packs of cans together? They were banned as a
> wildlife hazard.

I guess pythons and alligators aren't affected. They still sell 6 and 4
packs of beer like that here.

I throw all my empty beer cans, the plastic rings, and a bunch of lit
cigarettes in the swamp, then haul ass in my 400 hp airboat.

TFM®
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Omelet" > wrote
> You can do what you want... It's manufacturers that need to be
> responsible. How long now has it been since you've seen those plastic
> rings that held 6 packs of cans together? They were banned as a
> wildlife hazard.
>
> We live with the rest of the planet. It does not belong to us...
> --
> Peace, Om
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>

Why does manufacturers have to be responsible for the consumer being an
ignorant slob?

Guns are more deadly than plastic bags so should the manufacturers should be
held responsible for killings? Should they be banned? New laws prohibit
knives with sharp blades and points too.

Who dumps the trash in the ocean? Both consumers and some municipalities
wee responsible for that mess.

Banned

I think you guys are being off topic now. Anyway back to the issue, they just made up those rules to lessen and if possibly eliminate the accidents concerning fire.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 9/13/2011 10:51 AM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> > wrote:
>
>> om,
>>
>> he seems a bit sensitive, guilt perhaps... and as to those rings, their
>> replacement, sorta a breakaway collor for soda, is not much better, its
>> still made of petro products, and as one who strips soda cases on a regular
>> basis, they aren't manufatured very well and don't break away well and they
>> also allow the bottled products to be slipped out without breaking them away
>> so while the traditional rings might b e gone the problem isn't, Lee

> Six packs of soda are now packed in cardboard boxes...

The stuff I buy is held together with joined, plastic "rings"
(just like bud and coors.)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Omelet wrote:

> Or a grocery bag... I have no objection to moves to ban plastic
> grocery bags. The reusable fabric ones are down to $.99 in many
> stores and I got a bunch for 1/2 price ($.50) at Walgreens once. :-)

Reusable bags are far too expensive to use as trash bags, though.

--
Dave
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."......

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 9/13/2011 10:56 AM, Omelet wrote:
> In >,
> "Pico > wrote:
>
>> We still see those plastic rings. I toss them in the recycling. I reuse
>> those plastic bags, then toss them in the recycling. I reuse those water
>> bottles, then toss them in the recycling.
>>
>> Maybe that is how you all should live your lives.

> Certainly a better option. :-) I recycle everything I possibly can. The
> city provides us with a large cart for recyclables which include
> plastics 1 thru 7 and all paper including cardboard, glass and all
> metals.
>
> I have a separate trash bucket in my kitchen to hold them.
>
> The recycling cart is often more full than the trash cart.
>
> But, we were discussing littering and why it's so harmful, distasteful,
> and inconsiderate. I don't know about y'all, but I don't enjoy seeing
> littered roadways and parklands. It's gross.
>
> I even take any containers I take to work for lunch back home with me to
> recycle and at one job, I took everyone elses too if they put it in the
> recycle can.

Some employers consider taking anything out of a recycle container,
theft. If they can get $$$ for it, you can bet the farm they will
consider it theft and apply the same discipline as if you had taken a
computer home without proper signatures and approval.

Around here, recycling is available. They provide us with a container
that we put out to the curb each week. But it needs to be separated.
Regular size grocery bags don't fit in it very well. And they don't
like cardboard food containers. At least pizza boxes any way. So I
need to take them to the recycler separately.

I am all in favor of recycling, and they are getting better, but they
need to make it more convenient (easy) to do so. They used to expect
people to separate clear glass, from brown and green. And the brown and
green separated out to. To me, it's glass. Why should I have to
separate it out?

If someone were doing a through garage cleaning, they could spend an
afternoon driving around town to dispose of properly the various items
in a garage. Oil from oil changes goes here, old paint may need to go
some where else, old anti-freeze another. Then if the yard is included
in this clean up project, yard waste my be a couple of different places.
These hazardous waste sites may change location from year to year. So
you need to find the correct locations THIS year.

BBQ
--
Vegetarian

An old Indian term for poor hunter...
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Omelet" > wrote

> Six packs of soda are now packed in cardboard boxes...
> --

Some are, but I still see rings. I also see plastic for the 10 ounce
bottles, but the hole is much smaller and I dout a medium sized burd could
get a head through the hole.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dave Bugg" > wrote
> Omelet wrote:
>
>> Or a grocery bag... I have no objection to moves to ban plastic
>> grocery bags. The reusable fabric ones are down to $.99 in many
>> stores and I got a bunch for 1/2 price ($.50) at Walgreens once. :-)

> Reusable bags are far too expensive to use as trash bags, though.
>
> --

Used as a trash bag, in our area it would go to an incinerator where it
becomes fuel for an energy plant that produces electricity. I use plastic
bags for my lunch before trash. We also use the re-usable bags too as we
like they way they pack and can sit in the car during transport.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

in some places, bu t they still have rings, i stripped one last week... its
only just reduced. Lee
"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Storrmmee" > wrote:
>
>> om,
>>
>> he seems a bit sensitive, guilt perhaps... and as to those rings, their
>> replacement, sorta a breakaway collor for soda, is not much better, its
>> still made of petro products, and as one who strips soda cases on a
>> regular
>> basis, they aren't manufatured very well and don't break away well and
>> they
>> also allow the bottled products to be slipped out without breaking them
>> away
>> so while the traditional rings might b e gone the problem isn't, Lee

> Six packs of soda are now packed in cardboard boxes...
> --
> Peace, Om
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
>
> "Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have
> come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
> -- Mark Twain

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

and let me promise you having your house burn is one of teh worst things
that could ever happen to you, Lee
"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> haleymcadams1 > wrote:
>
>> I think you guys are being off topic now. Anyway back to the issue, they
>> just made up those rules to lessen and if possibly eliminate the
>> accidents concerning fire.

> But some people don't pay attention, because they don't care as long as
> it's not THEIR property that gets burned... <sigh>
> --
> Peace, Om
> Web Albums: <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet>
>
> "Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have
> come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
> -- Mark Twain

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

thats one thing about reusing those plastic t shirt bags, at least they get
two uses... instead of buying fresh ones for the smaller cans anyway, Lee
"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> Omelet wrote:
>
>> Or a grocery bag... I have no objection to moves to ban plastic
>> grocery bags. The reusable fabric ones are down to $.99 in many
>> stores and I got a bunch for 1/2 price ($.50) at Walgreens once. :-)

> Reusable bags are far too expensive to use as trash bags, though.
>
> --
> Dave
> "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion,
> butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance
> accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders,
> give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new
> problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight
> efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."......
> Robert Heinlein

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 9/13/2011 7:57 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote
>>
>> Six packs of soda are now packed in cardboard boxes...
>> --

> Some are, but I still see rings. I also see plastic for the 10 ounce
> bottles, but the hole is much smaller and I dout a medium sized burd
> could get a head through the hole.

Actually, when it comes to cans, I haven't seen a 6 pack in years.
Mostly 12s, and yes, in cardboard.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sep 15, 9:16*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Fri, 9 Sep 2011 17:02:30 -0400, TFM wrote:
> > You're an assmonkey, STFU.

> Oh great, we got Chemo the Clown here now? *I hope everybody remembers
> the drill.
>
> -sw

I doubt they will.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Omelet" > wrote
>> I am all in favor of recycling, and they are getting better, but they
>> need to make it more convenient (easy) to do so. They used to expect
>> people to separate clear glass, from brown and green. And the brown and
>> green separated out to. To me, it's glass. Why should I have to
>> separate it out?

> I don't.

We used to have to but no more. When recycling glass, clear brought a
higher price. When making glass, clear can go into colored, but colored
cannot go into clear. Just as you'd not **** into a tank of drinking water,
it takes very little to contaminate the entire batch.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 18 Sep 2011 09:03:55 -0500, Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> Shawn Martin > wrote:
>
>> On 9/13/2011 7:57 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>>
>>> "Omelet" > wrote

>>> Some are, but I still see rings. I also see plastic for the 10 ounce
>>> bottles, but the hole is much smaller and I dout a medium sized burd
>>> could get a head through the hole.

>> Actually, when it comes to cans, I haven't seen a 6 pack in years.
>> Mostly 12s, and yes, in cardboard.

> Ditto here.
> Must be geographical.

Must be. I just got a 4-pack of 16oz cans about a week ago in the plastic
rings and there were a lot more 6-packs with the same rings.

TFM®

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"TFM®" > wrote
> TV's, computers and appliances have a lifespan of 6 hours when I put them
> out by the road here.
> Scavengers always come by and take them.
>
> TFM®

Lat week I put out a dead mower and it was gone in 10 minutes. The only
things I see sitting for a long time are CRT monitors. Seems no one wants
them.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 22 Sep 2011 18:57:25 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> "TFM®" > wrote
>> TV's, computers and appliances have a lifespan of 6 hours when I put them
>> out by the road here.
>> Scavengers always come by and take them.
>>
>> TFM®

> Lat week I put out a dead mower and it was gone in 10 minutes. The only
> things I see sitting for a long time are CRT monitors. Seems no one wants
> them.

Yup, I put a mower out once and hadn't even got comfortable back in the
house before someone was knocking on the door asking if I was getting rid
of it.
I thought to myself, "no, I want to keep it, that's why I left if by the
road".

I put a dead fridge (complete with rotten food) out once and it was duct
taped shut. People kept coming by trying to open it. Once successfully.
I'm sure we all know what a fridge full of rotten food smells like.

I retaped it and wrote in LARGE letters on both sides with a magic marker,
"Free, Does NOT work! Scrap"

Bingo, gone within the hour and no more peekers.

TFM®