Old 29-08-2011, 02:00 AM posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default A steak dinner bet on using a steel to sharpen knives

On 28-Aug-2011, "Bob-tx" No Spam no contact wrote:

My best friend and I agree on a lot of things. We both like to barbecue
and
grille, we both like Canadian whisky, we both like to look at pretty
women,
and we both like sharp knives - which is where the disagreement comes in.

I sharpen my knives on Arkansas stones, a soft stone to get the initial
edge
back, and a hard stone to finish it off.

He "sharpens" his knives on a steel, like the butchers use.

I maintain that a steel does not sharpen a dull knife, in the sense that
it
does not remove any of the knife blade metal. The purpose of a steel is
correct a wire edge on a knife. A wire edge is a knife edge that has
rolled
over from hitting a bone or something hard. In the sense that it corrects

the wire edge, it does make the knife sharper, but once a knife is dull, a

steel will not sharpen it.

We have a steak dinner for four riding on this, so come on people - I need

some support here. Thanks

Bob-tx

you're in trouble Bob. You're only half right. There are two kinds of
butcher's
steel in common use. The kind used by butchers that subscribe to a knife
maintenance service is of the non-abusive type that you're thinking of.
However, the equally common type used by many butchers is actually
a file with the flutes running lengthwise. And that kind most certainly does
remove material from the blade. The kind I use looks just like any other
butcher's steel from a distance, but it is actually a diamond hone of 400
grit.

--
Brick(Too soon old and too late smart)