Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Salmon

Albertsons here in my area has skin on salmon fillets advertised as
(steelhead trout? farm raised) $5 a lb a fair price. It's terribly hot
and I'm not inclined to a long cook either in or out so I thought
I'd post the reciped I got from cooks country show on tv a while back..
very simple and fast
When I first tried this recipe There was no skin on fillets available
to me so I put the fish on an oiled rack over the boat of cherry chips.
I thought it came out well. I've got skin on now but I'm not so sure I
want to put it directly on the wood. It doesn't seem to me it would
pick up more smoke anyway it's a decent quick cook, I thought you
might enjoy. btw done on a gas grill
*******

Aromatic woods such as cedar and alder give the most authentic flavor.

Serves 4.
Ingredients
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 skin-on salmon fillets (each 6 to 8 ounces and 1 1/4 inches thick)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups wood chips , soaked for 15 minutes
Instructions

1.

1. Combine sugar, salt, and pepper in small bowl. Pat salmon dry
with paper towels. Brush flesh side of salmon with oil and sprinkle with
sugar mixture. , use heavy-duty aluminum foil to make four 7- by 5-inch
trays. Using tip of knife, perforate bottom of each tray. Divide wood
chips among trays and place salmon skin-side down on top of wood chips.
2.

2. Place trays with salmon over hot fire and grill, covered, until
center of each fillet is still just translucent, about 10 minutes.
Remove trays from grill. Following photo 3, slide metal spatula between
skin and flesh of fish and transfer to platter. Serve.

1. Cut out four rectangles of heavy-duty aluminum foil and crimp edges
until each tray measures 7 by 5 inches. Using a paring knife, poke small
slits in the bottom of the trays. (These vents will help to heat the
chips.)

2. Place soaked wood chips in the foil trays and arrange the salmon
skin-side down directly on top of the wood chips.

3. Once the salmon is cooked, slide a metal spatula between the flesh
and the skin; the fish should release easily.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 8/5/2011 8:42 PM, Charly Horse wrote:
> Albertsons here in my area has skin on salmon fillets advertised as
> (steelhead trout? farm raised) $5 a lb a fair price. It's terribly hot
> and I'm not inclined to a long cook either in or out so I thought
> I'd post the reciped I got from cooks country show on tv a while back..
> very simple and fast
> When I first tried this recipe There was no skin on fillets available
> to me so I put the fish on an oiled rack over the boat of cherry chips.
> I thought it came out well. I've got skin on now but I'm not so sure I
> want to put it directly on the wood. It doesn't seem to me it would
> pick up more smoke anyway it's a decent quick cook, I thought you
> might enjoy. btw done on a gas grill
> *******

$5.00/lb is good price for Salmon. I had thought steelhead trout was a
different fish altogether. After reading wikipedia, I guess they are
very similar.

Yea, with all the heat going around, I am not inclined for long cooks
either, indoors or out. Some days, I want nothing to do with any food
that is hot. Just give me a cold cut sub sandwich ...

BBQ
--
Vegetarian

An old Indian term for poor hunter...
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

bbq ) opined:

> On 8/5/2011 8:42 PM, Charly Horse wrote:
>> Albertsons here in my area has skin on salmon fillets
>> advertised as
>> (steelhead trout? farm raised) $5 a lb a fair price.
>> It's terribly hot and I'm not inclined to a long cook
>> either in or out so I thought I'd post the reciped I
>> got from cooks country show on tv a while back.. very
>> simple and fast
>> When I first tried this recipe There was no skin on
>> fillets available
>> to me so I put the fish on an oiled rack over the boat of
>> cherry chips. I thought it came out well. I've got skin on
>> now but I'm not so sure I want to put it directly on the
>> wood. It doesn't seem to me it would pick up more smoke
>> anyway it's a decent quick cook, I thought you might
>> enjoy. btw done on a gas grill *******
>>

> $5.00/lb is good price for Salmon. I had thought steelhead
> trout was a different fish altogether. After reading
> wikipedia, I guess they are very similar.
>
> Yea, with all the heat going around, I am not inclined for
> long cooks either, indoors or out. Some days, I want
> nothing to do with any food that is hot. Just give me a
> cold cut sub sandwich ...
>
> BBQ

Steelhead is readily available here in northern Indiana and
having smoked and grilled it I can vouch that it is very very
close to Salmon in flavor, texture, etc.

Once I learned the family lineage, I started making friends
with anyone who mentions that they fish the local rivers. In
fact, I made a new friend just 2 weeks ago because of this. I
offered my usual deal which is to smoke whatever he catches
for free if I can keep a small portion.

-george

--
George B. Ross is
remove the OBVIOUSBIT for email
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 00:24:12 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>Just a side note, steelhead is my favorite fish to smoke. It hasn't
>dropped below $8/lb for a couple years.
>
>-sw

I lucked out when I bought my place. I have a pond - spring fed and in
the woods so it stays cold all year. I'm able to raise rainbow trout
to a very good size. Smoked trout is my favorite. Last one I fished
out was 24" long and about six or seven pounds.

Shinglhed
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible
warning.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 10, 10:57*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 09:07:19 -0400, wrote:
> > On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 00:24:12 -0500, Sqwertz >
> > wrote:

> >>Just a side note, steelhead is my favorite fish to smoke. *It hasn't
> >>dropped below $8/lb for a couple years.

Ahm buying Pacific WILD salmon for $10/Lb. Not that crappy farmed
shit. Did you ask what we pay for Dungeness in season? . Got a whole
salmon off the boat last weekend. Holy shit that grilled up good.

It's a good year for the salmon run. So me and mine are eating them up
while we can. One of my favorite meats.

I like the skin on as it protects the meat on that side. Will usually
grill it skin side down to start with, by the time it time to turn it,
the skin is burnt to the grill, so just slide the steak off and flip
it and give the charred and grilled skin to the dog.

So look for wild salmon being on special.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
bbq bbq is offline

On 8/10/2011 12:24 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Just a side note, steelhead is my favorite fish to smoke. It hasn't
> dropped below $8/lb for a couple years.
>
> -sw

I'll have to try it, now that I know it is in the Salmon Family...

BBQ
--
Vegetarian

An old Indian term for poor hunter...
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Pulled one this weekend, here is the link to the pics. 26 inches and
about 10 pounds. Delicious!

http://www.4shared.com/folder/weNVFAFN/_online.html

Shinglhed
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible
warning.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 08:41:05 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 09:04:53 -0400, wrote:
>
>> Pulled one this weekend, here is the link to the pics. 26 inches and
>> about 10 pounds. Delicious!

http://www.4shared.com/folder/weNVFAFN/_online.html

>That site sure does take a lot of time to do nothing. Doesn't work
>for me.
>
>-sw

Hmmm, just tried the link from my newsreader and it came right up.
Shows 3 thumbnails and click on them for the full picture.

Shinglhed
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible
warning.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Aug 15, 6:04*am, wrote:
> Pulled one this weekend, here is the link to the pics. 26 inches and
> about 10 pounds. Delicious!
>
> http://www.4shared.com/folder/weNVFAFN/_online.html

There ya go. Now pull the other one. <bg>

Salmon w/mayo and another salmon recipe [email protected] General Cooking 5 09-02-2014 09:01 PM
Salmon, Salmon and more freeking salmon Mike[_2_] Preserving 0 05-08-2008 06:39 AM
Grilled Salmon with Salmon Rub International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 15-08-2007 12:17 AM
Salmon or NOT larry General Cooking 2 26-03-2004 04:24 AM
Help! Need salmon recipe for tonite(ground-up wasabi peas on sauteed salmon fillet) Pierre General Cooking 1 07-02-2004 02:17 PM