Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default The Reverse Sear - any thoughts on this?

The REVERSE SEAR (aka Finney Method)
1. Thaw meat (if frozen). If meat is refrigerated, remove from fridge when
you go out to light grill.
2. Pre-heat your grill to 200* and let stabilize. You can go as high as
250*. Higher really, but you guys are wanting a low internal finish temp. so
the lower the better. Also, a lower cooking temp will get you a smaller rise
in internal temp from carryover heat.
3. Insert meat probe into meat and place on the grill. Go as indirect as you
can with your cooker. You want gentle heat. A ceramic cooker is better for
that than an oven. (because an oven cycles on and off to keep temps within a
range)
4. When the internal temp of the meat reaches 5* below your target temp (if
cooking at 200-230*) remove steak to a plate and loosely tent with foil. (as
much as 10* under your target if cooking at 250*) Leave probe in meat.
5. Open vents on grill and raise temp as high as you feel comfortable. The
higher the better to keep a low internal finish temperature. (I know this
sounds backwards or reverse even, but trust me)
6. When the internal temp of your meat has dropped 2 - 5* from it's
carryover temp high, remove the probe and place meat directly over, and as
close to the coals as your cooking rack allows. (on a Primo with a full load
of charcoal you should be within a few inches, max) With extremely high heat
and close proximity to the coals you should have a good sear in seconds.
(remember, at this point you're only searing... the meat is cooked, so don't
leave it on there longer than you have to)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Pico Rico" > wrote in message
> The REVERSE SEAR (aka Finney Method)
> 1. Thaw meat (if frozen). If meat is refrigerated, remove from fridge when
> you go out to light grill.
> 2. Pre-heat your grill to 200* and let stabilize. You can go as high as
> 250*. Higher really, but you guys are wanting a low internal finish temp.
> so the lower the better. Also, a lower cooking temp will get you a smaller
> rise in internal temp from carryover heat.
> 3. Insert meat probe into meat and place on the grill. Go as indirect as
> you can with your cooker. You want gentle heat. A ceramic cooker is better
> for that than an oven. (because an oven cycles on and off to keep temps
> within a range)
> 4. When the internal temp of the meat reaches 5* below your target temp
> (if cooking at 200-230*) remove steak to a plate and loosely tent with
> foil. (as much as 10* under your target if cooking at 250*) Leave probe in
> meat.
> 5. Open vents on grill and raise temp as high as you feel comfortable. The
> higher the better to keep a low internal finish temperature. (I know this
> sounds backwards or reverse even, but trust me)
> 6. When the internal temp of your meat has dropped 2 - 5* from it's
> carryover temp high, remove the probe and place meat directly over, and as
> close to the coals as your cooking rack allows. (on a Primo with a full
> load of charcoal you should be within a few inches, max) With extremely
> high heat and close proximity to the coals you should have a good sear in
> seconds. (remember, at this point you're only searing... the meat is
> cooked, so don't leave it on there longer than you have to)

Yes, I think it is a form of "sous vide", to address Sqwertz's comment.
First, "sous vide" means under vacuum in a plastic bag. That cooks the meat
in a water bath at a very slow rate to just over desired ultimate temp. I
use the term to apply to any technique that raises the internal temp. of the
meat to the "done" temp. very very slowly.

I'm going "sous vide in air" a 2.5" thick California chteaubriand in my WSM
at a very low temp,

to 130F. Then I'm going to sear it as hot as I can on the Weber kettle. I
use a basket to bring the charcoal to .75" from the grate. I'll sear a
minute or so on all sides.

Then we'll dine with an old Bordeaux wine.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kent" > wrote in message

> Yes, I think it is a form of "sous vide", to address Sqwertz's comment.
> First, "sous vide" means under vacuum in a plastic bag. That cooks the
> meat in a water bath at a very slow rate to just over desired ultimate
> temp. I use the term to apply to any technique that raises the internal
> temp. of the meat to the "done" temp. very very slowly.
>
> I'm going "sous vide in air" a 2.5" thick California chteaubriand in my
> WSM at a very low temp . . .

> Kent

no wonder they pick on you!