Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default dry rub for ribs

Going to smoke some St Louis cut ribs on Saturday for a fathers day
celebration.

I'm curious, the most recent rub recipe said to apply the rub 1 hour up to 8
hours before cooking.

How long do you leave the rub on before smoking?

TIA

Dimitri

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
> Going to smoke some St Louis cut ribs on Saturday for a fathers day
> celebration.
>
> I'm curious, the most recent rub recipe said to apply the rub 1 hour up to
> 8 hours before cooking.
>
> How long do you leave the rub on before smoking?
>
> TIA
>
> Dimitri

I apply rub up to 24 hours before smoking. Usually it's overnight. If you do
this you should be careful with salt.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Sqwertz" > wrote
>> How long do you leave the rub on before smoking?

> Most of us probably rub shortly before cooking or within an hour. At
> least the consensus I've gathered. I do it 4-5 minutes beforehand.

Most I've ever done is maybe a half hour. Usually 4 - 5 minutes.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 16, 10:35*pm, "Dimitri" > wrote:
> Going to smoke some St Louis cut ribs on Saturday for a fathers day
> celebration.
>
> I'm curious, the most recent rub recipe said to apply the rub 1 hour up to 8
> hours before cooking.
>
> How long do you leave the rub on before smoking?
>
> TIA
>
> Dimitri

We use a rub that isn't super sweet, but has some brown sugar in it.
We
put it on the night before usually. or in the morning if he is doing
an overnight cook.
Nan in DE
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dimitri wrote:

> Going to smoke some St Louis cut ribs on Saturday for a fathers day
> celebration.
>
> I'm curious, the most recent rub recipe said to apply the rub 1 hour up to 8
> hours before cooking.
>
> How long do you leave the rub on before smoking?
>
> TIA
>
> Dimitri

I pull the ribs out of the fridge onto baking sheets, apply the rub and
let them come up to room temperature while I fire up the smoker. I'd
estimate that's somewhere in the 1hr range and it does allow time for
moisture to crust the rub.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 16-Jun-2011, "Dimitri" > wrote:

> Going to smoke some St Louis cut ribs on Saturday for a fathers day
> celebration.
>
> I'm curious, the most recent rub recipe said to apply the rub 1 hour up to
> 8
> hours before cooking.
>
> How long do you leave the rub on before smoking?
>
> TIA
>
> Dimitri

I personally apply rub just before throwing the meat into the pit. Usually
less then two hours before. That, however, is not what I'd like to do. I
would rather apply the rub the day before and let it 'marinate' at least
overnight. I've seen several BBQ contestants lately declare that they
rub a day in advance and some of those are folks that usually score
in the top ten.
--
Brick(Too soon old and too late smart)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 17, 7:44*am, "Brick" > wrote:
> On 16-Jun-2011, "Dimitri" > wrote:

> > Going to smoke some St Louis cut ribs on Saturday for a fathers day
> > celebration.

> > I'm curious, the most recent rub recipe said to apply the rub 1 hour up to
> > 8
> > hours before cooking.

> > How long do you leave the rub on before smoking?

> > TIA

> > Dimitri

> I personally apply rub just before throwing the meat into the pit. Usually
> less then two hours before. That, however, is not what I'd like to do. I
> would rather apply the rub the day before and let it 'marinate' at least
> overnight. I've seen several BBQ contestants lately declare that they
> rub a day in advance and some of those are folks that usually score
> in the top ten.
> --

Danny Gladden of the BBQ FAQ comes to mind. His "recipe" call for a
lot of spices with a drizzle of veg oil, and wrap in saran wrap
overnight.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Dimitri wrote:
> Going to smoke some St Louis cut ribs on Saturday for a fathers day
> celebration.
>
> I'm curious, the most recent rub recipe said to apply the rub 1 hour
> up to 8 hours before cooking.
>
> How long do you leave the rub on before smoking?
>
> TIA
>
> Dimitri

Hi, Dimitri.

I completely dry my slabs and let them sit out at room temp for about 45- 60
minutes. Shortly before going into the pit, I wipe each slab with a thin,
thin smear of vegetable oil. I then liberally apply the rub. The slabs go
into the pit about 5 minutes later. I find that putting on the rub much in
advance, it makes things a wet mess. If I want to add a lot of additional
flavor to the meat, I'll marinade well in advance.
--
Dave
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."--------

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 19:35:44 -0700, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>Going to smoke some St Louis cut ribs on Saturday for a fathers day
>celebration.
>
>I'm curious, the most recent rub recipe said to apply the rub 1 hour up to 8
>hours before cooking.
>
>How long do you leave the rub on before smoking?

I usually use Danny Gaulden's rub, which has a fair bit of salt. I've
put it on the night before, and from 5 min to an hour before the cook.
The salt does pull moisture out of the racks when it's had the
overnight time; I've not noticed much effect in an hour, but I think
there's some.

I think my best luck--and best ribs--have come from the combo of a
light coat of CYM followed by the rub, and then into the pit in no
more than a half-hour.

But again, this is with a somewhat salt-laden rub. I suspect that
with little or no salt in the rub, you could easily go overnight with
no ill effects.

Now, on a butt, I think overnight with the salty rub works
nicely--though with a butterflied Costco boneless butt it'd likely be
different. Haven't tried one of those yet, but will this year.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 17, 5:23*pm, Denny Wheeler >
wrote:

> I usually use Danny Gaulden's rub, which has a fair bit of salt. *I've

"Gaulden", that's the one from the BBQ FAQ.

Gladden was a baseball player in the 80's.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 21:32:07 -0700 (PDT), tutall >
wrote:

>On Jun 17, 5:23*pm, Denny Wheeler >
>wrote:
>>
>> I usually use Danny Gaulden's rub, which has a fair bit of salt. *I've

>"Gaulden", that's the one from the BBQ FAQ.
>
>Gladden was a baseball player in the 80's.

I wondered. <g>

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 19, 2:11*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 21:32:07 -0700 (PDT), tutall wrote:
> > On Jun 17, 5:23*pm, Denny Wheeler >
> > wrote:

> >> I usually use Danny Gaulden's rub, which has a fair bit of salt. *I've

> > "Gaulden", that's the one from the BBQ FAQ.

> > Gladden was a baseball player in the 80's.

> Then who's Gluden - CYM's brother?
>
> -sw

that's quite the typo, y is nowhere near a on the keyboard

Cam
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Cam" > wrote in message
> On Jun 19, 2:11 am, Sqwertz > wrote:
>> On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 21:32:07 -0700 (PDT), tutall wrote:

>> > "Gaulden", that's the one from the BBQ FAQ.

>> > Gladden was a baseball player in the 80's.

>> Then who's Gluden - CYM's brother?
>>
>> -sw

> that's quite the typo, y is nowhere near a on the keyboard
>
> Cam

Huh? Cheap Yellow Mustard

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Gz Gz is offline

On Jun 16, 11:26*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 19:35:44 -0700, Dimitri wrote:
> > Going to smoke some St Louis cut ribs on Saturday for a fathers day
> > celebration.

> > I'm curious, the most recent rub recipe said to apply the rub 1 hour up to 8
> > hours before cooking.

> > How long do you leave the rub on before smoking?

> Most of us probably rub shortly before cooking or within an hour. *At
> least the consensus I've gathered. *I do it 4-5 minutes beforehand.
>
> The meat should be dry when you put it in the smoker. *You can't do
> that if you've pre-salted the meat and it's drawing out moisture.
> Sure, you can take some paper towels to it, but then you're taking off
> the rub, too.
>
> Even if you're not using salt in your rub, there is no penetration of
> flavors into the meat unless you used some sort of marinade.
>
> -sw

I guess smoking is also useless since it can't penetrate?
Oh I guess you can't reply since your reply will be deleted.

Greg
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Gz wrote:
> On Jun 16, 11:26 pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
>> On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 19:35:44 -0700, Dimitri wrote:
>>> Going to smoke some St Louis cut ribs on Saturday for a fathers day
>>> celebration.

>>> I'm curious, the most recent rub recipe said to apply the rub 1
>>> hour up to 8 hours before cooking.

>>> How long do you leave the rub on before smoking?

>> Most of us probably rub shortly before cooking or within an hour. At
>> least the consensus I've gathered. I do it 4-5 minutes beforehand.
>>
>> The meat should be dry when you put it in the smoker. You can't do
>> that if you've pre-salted the meat and it's drawing out moisture.
>> Sure, you can take some paper towels to it, but then you're taking
>> off the rub, too.
>>
>> Even if you're not using salt in your rub, there is no penetration of
>> flavors into the meat unless you used some sort of marinade.
>>
>> -sw

> I guess smoking is also useless since it can't penetrate?
> Oh I guess you can't reply since your reply will be deleted.

That's a nonsensical analogy, Greg. Steve is correct. And of course Steve
can reply. There is no moderator to delete his reply, and as such it will
show up on AFB for all to read, should he choose to reply.
--
Dave
efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."--------
----- Robert Heinlein

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Gz Gz is offline

On Jun 22, 8:38*pm, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
> Gz wrote:

> >> Most of us probably rub shortly before cooking or within an hour. At
> >> least the consensus I've gathered. I do it 4-5 minutes beforehand.

> >> The meat should be dry when you put it in the smoker. You can't do
> >> that if you've pre-salted the meat and it's drawing out moisture.
> >> Sure, you can take some paper towels to it, but then you're taking
> >> off the rub, too.

> >> Even if you're not using salt in your rub, there is no penetration of
> >> flavors into the meat unless you used some sort of marinade.

> >> -sw

> > I guess smoking is also useless since it can't penetrate?
> > Oh I guess you can't reply since your reply will be deleted.

> That's a nonsensical analogy, Greg. Steve is correct. And of course Steve
> can reply. There is no moderator to delete his reply, and as such it will
> show up on AFB for all to read, should he choose to reply.
> --
> Dave
> "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion,
> butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance
> accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders,
> give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new
> problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight
> efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."--------
> ----- Robert Heinlein

I was trying to decode AFB ??

I was just looking at some of my almost 10k usenet posts back to 1995.
On google usenet archives.

Greg
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Gz wrote:
> On Jun 22, 8:38 pm, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
>> Gz wrote:

>>> I guess smoking is also useless since it can't penetrate?
>>> Oh I guess you can't reply since your reply will be deleted.

>> That's a nonsensical analogy, Greg. Steve is correct. And of course
>> Steve can reply. There is no moderator to delete his reply, and as
>> such it will show up on AFB for all to read, should he choose to
>> reply. --
>> Dave
>> "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion,
>> butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet,
>> balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take
>> orders,
>> give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new
>> problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight
>> efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."--------
>> ----- Robert Heinlein

> I was trying to decode AFB ??

Alt.Food.Barbecue

> I was just looking at some of my almost 10k usenet posts back to 1995.
> On google usenet archives.

Uh, ok.