Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Vine Maple wood - is it ok for Q?

Got a smallish vine maple I'm taking out (we bought the house we
rented in May of 2010)--is that wood, once seasoned a bit (a few
months?) good for smoking? I know some maple is--Dave B gave me some
from the stack that was behind his Q joint--but I don't know about
vine maple. Anyone here *know*?

And a 2nd question, more in the 'why the hell' class: Why did Weber
choose to have the center section of the WSM have the flare at the
top, so the lid fits INTO that, rather than having the lid flared, so
it goes OVER the middle section? I'm in the NorthWet, so I have to
keep the WSM covered, else the bottom collects rainwater. They made
the One-Touch's lid flare over the body; certainly they *could* have
done the WSM that way.

-denny-
(who has 1 1/2-2 hours of total commute now, vs 20-25 min before)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 15, 5:37*pm, Denny Wheeler >
wrote:
> Got a smallish vine maple I'm taking out (we bought the house we
> rented in May of 2010)--is that wood, once seasoned a bit (a few
> months?) good for smoking? *I know some maple is--Dave B gave me some
> from the stack that was behind his Q joint--but I don't know about
> vine maple. *Anyone here *know*?

Stupid Weber.............

Well, it *is* a species of maple at least, which would seem promising.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acer_circinatum

> (who has 1 1/2-2 hours of total commute now, vs 20-25 min before)

Have the longest in my lifetime right now at 20-40 minutes and
consider myself very lucky.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 07:40:35 -0700 (PDT), tutall >
wrote:

>Well, it *is* a species of maple at least, which would seem promising.
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acer_circinatum

That's a start. Thanks, tutall--I only considered asking here, not
googling or such.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 17:37:22 -0700, Denny Wheeler
> wrote:

>Got a smallish vine maple I'm taking out (we bought the house we
>rented in May of 2010)--is that wood, once seasoned a bit (a few
>months?) good for smoking? I know some maple is--Dave B gave me some
>from the stack that was behind his Q joint--but I don't know about
>vine maple. Anyone here *know*?

Well, tutall inspired me to do some googling and what I found tells me
that vine maple is excellent for smoking fish, and evidently is also
good for smoke-preserving meats. Not so sure about hot-smoking--Q,
that is. Word seems to be 'use vine maple when it's green, having
peeled the bark'. Now, for hot-smoking, I suspect that might not work
well at all--isn't green wood likely to give nasty smoke, at Q
temperatures of 225 to 300 or so?

(don't have anything to use for cold-smoking...)

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jun 17, 5:35*pm, Denny Wheeler >
wrote:

> Well, tutall inspired me to do some googling and what I found tells me
> that vine maple is excellent for smoking fish, and evidently is also
> good for smoke-preserving meats. *Not so sure about hot-smoking--Q,
> that is. * Word seems to be 'use vine maple when it's green, having
> peeled the bark'. *Now, for hot-smoking, I suspect that might not work
> well at all--isn't green wood likely to give nasty smoke, at Q
> temperatures of 225 to 300 or so?
>
> (don't have anything to use for cold-smoking...)

Well, if it's fine for cold, it's going to be fine for hot too. Am
thinking more along the lines of healthiness than taste here, which is
what I though the original question was about?

It's not going to be unhealthy, so why not give it a try.

Dale