FoodBanter.com

-   -   How much butter did you say? (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/408148-re-how-much-butter.html)

Melba's Jammin' 08-06-2011 01:13 AM

How much butter did you say?

In article > ,
wrote:

> Just another one of life's vexing questions. While perusing a recipe
> for clam sauce with linguine I tripped across (1/2 cup of butter). I
> don't know about your butter, but mine doesn't come in cups.

How *does* your butter come, Brick? Are you making it yourself? Mine
comes four sticks to a pound, each stick is four ounces; each stick is a
half cup. On the rare occasion when I buy a solid one-pound block of
butter (I see that Costco sells them that way), I generally eyeball it
and cut it into four sticks myself.

> Being way too lazy to mold a mess of butter into a measuring cup and
> then cleaning the cup after, I cast about for a better method of
> measuring out a half cup of butter. Info in the following link
> simplifies the issue and even has a touch of humor at the beginning.

You could also do it the way we were taught in Home Ec class 53 years
ago: Put half a cup of water into a 1-cup or larger measuring cup and
add butter, submerging it, until the water line is at one cup. Pour off
the water and you are left with one-half cup of butter. Displacement.

--
Barb,
Fapitas!, June 7, 2011;

bbq 08-06-2011 02:59 AM

How much butter did you say?

On 6/7/2011 8:31 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 19:13:14 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> In er.com>,
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Just another one of life's vexing questions. While perusing a recipe
>>> for clam sauce with linguine I tripped across (1/2 cup of butter). I
>>> don't know about your butter, but mine doesn't come in cups.

>> How *does* your butter come, Brick? Are you making it yourself? Mine
>> comes four sticks to a pound, each stick is four ounces; each stick is a
>> half cup. On the rare occasion when I buy a solid one-pound block of
>> butter (I see that Costco sells them that way), I generally eyeball it
>> and cut it into four sticks myself.

> Doesn't anybody know that the measurements are printed right on the
> sticks of butter (and margarine)?!?!!?
>
> You folks are making this much harder than it really is!
>
> -sw

Maybe Brick buys his butter in tubs and there are no markings on it.
I would not have known about the displacement technique
I always buy butter in the stick form and use the markings frequently
enough, I can't forget they are there.

BBQ

--
Vegetarian

An old Indian term for poor hunter...

Melba's Jammin' 08-06-2011 02:59 AM

How much butter did you say?

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 19:13:14 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > In article > ,
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Just another one of life's vexing questions. While perusing a recipe
> >> for clam sauce with linguine I tripped across (1/2 cup of butter). I
> >> don't know about your butter, but mine doesn't come in cups.

> > How *does* your butter come, Brick? Are you making it yourself? Mine
> > comes four sticks to a pound, each stick is four ounces; each stick is a
> > half cup. On the rare occasion when I buy a solid one-pound block of
> > butter (I see that Costco sells them that way), I generally eyeball it
> > and cut it into four sticks myself.

> Doesn't anybody know that the measurements are printed right on the
> sticks of butter (and margarine)?!?!!?
>
> You folks are making this much harder than it really is!
>
> -sw

Yeah, I know, but I guess if he couldn't figure it out, I'd just tell
him about the displacement method, too.

Pico Rico[_2_] 08-06-2011 03:00 AM

How much butter did you say?

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 19:13:14 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> In article > ,
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Just another one of life's vexing questions. While perusing a recipe
>>> for clam sauce with linguine I tripped across (1/2 cup of butter). I
>>> don't know about your butter, but mine doesn't come in cups.

>> How *does* your butter come, Brick? Are you making it yourself? Mine
>> comes four sticks to a pound, each stick is four ounces; each stick is a
>> half cup. On the rare occasion when I buy a solid one-pound block of
>> butter (I see that Costco sells them that way), I generally eyeball it
>> and cut it into four sticks myself.

> Doesn't anybody know that the measurements are printed right on the
> sticks of butter (and margarine)?!?!!?
>
> You folks are making this much harder than it really is!

I tried to run a stick of butter through my scanner to create a PDF file so
I could read the instructions, but my scanner failed.

but then I found this:

http://www.cooksinfo.com/edible.nsf/images/butterstick/$file/butter_stick-ps-03.jpg

Brick[_5_] 09-06-2011 06:03 AM

How much butter did you say?

On 7-Jun-2011, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> In article > ,
> wrote:
>
> > Just another one of life's vexing questions. While perusing a recipe
> > for clam sauce with linguine I tripped across (1/2 cup of butter). I
> > don't know about your butter, but mine doesn't come in cups.

> How *does* your butter come, Brick? Are you making it yourself? Mine
> comes four sticks to a pound, each stick is four ounces; each stick is a
> half cup. On the rare occasion when I buy a solid one-pound block of
> butter (I see that Costco sells them that way), I generally eyeball it
> and cut it into four sticks myself.
>
> > Being way too lazy to mold a mess of butter into a measuring cup and
> > then cleaning the cup after, I cast about for a better method of
> > measuring out a half cup of butter. Info in the following link
> > simplifies the issue and even has a touch of humor at the beginning.

> You could also do it the way we were taught in Home Ec class 53 years
> ago: Put half a cup of water into a 1-cup or larger measuring cup and
> add butter, submerging it, until the water line is at one cup. Pour off
> the water and you are left with one-half cup of butter. Displacement.
>
> --
> Barb,

All good info but,

5 years before you went to home ec, I was in machine shop. By the time
you were in Home Ec, I was in the USAF I wasn't
allowed any where near a kitchen except to eat until I was forty years
old. Bottom line is that I didn't know that about measuring butter. But
I can compute the firing solution to intercept a flying object travelling
on a ballistic course within my area of resposibility. Doesn't help much
with cooking problems though.

--
Brick(Too soon old and too late smart)

Brick[_5_] 09-06-2011 06:06 AM

How much butter did you say?

On 7-Jun-2011, "Pico Rico" > wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> > On Tue, 07 Jun 2011 19:13:14 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> >> How *does* your butter come, Brick? Are you making it yourself? Mine
> >> comes four sticks to a pound, each stick is four ounces; each stick is
> >> half cup. On the rare occasion when I buy a solid one-pound block of
> >> butter (I see that Costco sells them that way), I generally eyeball it
> >> and cut it into four sticks myself.

> > Doesn't anybody know that the measurements are printed right on the
> > sticks of butter (and margarine)?!?!!?
> >
> > You folks are making this much harder than it really is!

> I tried to run a stick of butter through my scanner to create a PDF file
> so
> I could read the instructions, but my scanner failed.
>
> but then I found this:
>
> http://www.cooksinfo.com/edible.nsf/images/butterstick/$file/butter_stick-ps-03.jpg

It sure must be slow out there this week for this thread to expand this far.
Does't anybody have any kind of original idea to talk about?

--
Brick(Too soon old and too late smart)

Charly Horse 11-06-2011 04:24 AM

How much butter did you say?

"Brick" > wrote in
ster.com:

> On 7-Jun-2011, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
>> In article > ,
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Just another one of life's vexing questions. While perusing a
>> > recipe for clam sauce with linguine I tripped across (1/2 cup of
>> > butter). I don't know about your butter, but mine doesn't come in
>> > cups.

>> How *does* your butter come, Brick? Are you making it yourself?
>> Mine comes four sticks to a pound, each stick is four ounces; each
>> stick is a half cup. On the rare occasion when I buy a solid
>> one-pound block of butter (I see that Costco sells them that way), I
>> generally eyeball it and cut it into four sticks myself.
>>
>> > Being way too lazy to mold a mess of butter into a measuring cup
>> > and then cleaning the cup after, I cast about for a better method
>> > of measuring out a half cup of butter. Info in the following link
>> > simplifies the issue and even has a touch of humor at the
>> > beginning.

>> You could also do it the way we were taught in Home Ec class 53 years
>> ago: Put half a cup of water into a 1-cup or larger measuring cup
>> and add butter, submerging it, until the water line is at one cup.
>> Pour off the water and you are left with one-half cup of butter.
>> Displacement.
>>
>> --
>> Barb,

> All good info but,
>
> 5 years before you went to home ec, I was in machine shop. By the time
> you were in Home Ec, I was in the USAF I wasn't
> allowed any where near a kitchen except to eat until I was forty years
> old. Bottom line is that I didn't know that about measuring butter.
> But
> I can compute the firing solution to intercept a flying object
> travelling on a ballistic course within my area of resposibility.
> Doesn't help much with cooking problems though.

maybe if ya tried to shoot it with a stick of butter?

bbq 12-06-2011 01:44 AM

How much butter did you say?

On 6/11/2011 2:37 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Jun 2011 05:03:49 GMT, Brick wrote:
>
>> But
>> I can compute the firing solution to intercept a flying object travelling
>> on a ballistic course within my area of resposibility. Doesn't help much
>> with cooking problems though.

> Can you land a raw egg in 4" of boiling water from 20 yards and not
> have it break?
>
> -sw

Are you trying to come up with games for the Steve's version of Minute
to Win it? !!

BBQ

Kent[_5_] 16-06-2011 09:16 AM

How much butter did you say?

"Brick" > wrote in message
ster.com...

> On 7-Jun-2011, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
>> In article > ,
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Just another one of life's vexing questions. While perusing a recipe
>> > for clam sauce with linguine I tripped across (1/2 cup of butter). I
>> > don't know about your butter, but mine doesn't come in cups.

>> How *does* your butter come, Brick? Are you making it yourself? Mine
>> comes four sticks to a pound, each stick is four ounces; each stick is a
>> half cup. On the rare occasion when I buy a solid one-pound block of
>> butter (I see that Costco sells them that way), I generally eyeball it
>> and cut it into four sticks myself.
>>
>> > Being way too lazy to mold a mess of butter into a measuring cup and
>> > then cleaning the cup after, I cast about for a better method of
>> > measuring out a half cup of butter. Info in the following link
>> > simplifies the issue and even has a touch of humor at the beginning.

>> You could also do it the way we were taught in Home Ec class 53 years
>> ago: Put half a cup of water into a 1-cup or larger measuring cup and
>> add butter, submerging it, until the water line is at one cup. Pour off
>> the water and you are left with one-half cup of butter. Displacement.
>>
>> --
>> Barb,

> All good info but,
>
> 5 years before you went to home ec, I was in machine shop. By the time
> you were in Home Ec, I was in the USAF I wasn't
> allowed any where near a kitchen except to eat until I was forty years
> old. Bottom line is that I didn't know that about measuring butter. But
> I can compute the firing solution to intercept a flying object travelling
> on a ballistic course within my area of resposibility. Doesn't help much
> with cooking problems though.
>
> Brick(Too soon old and too late smart)

As you know, cooking in retirement, when there's nothing else to do, becomes
a passion. Not just a passion, but a great passion. There's nothing like
taking a dish and trying to make it evolve into something you think might be
a bit more palatable. The internet has made all of that incredible. My
brother has a PhD, has thirty patents with his name on them, and in
retirement cooking makes his life work. Mine too.

Good Cooking,

Kent