FoodBanter.com

-   -   Q: Mesquite Lump? Does it add mesquite flavor? (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/407886-q-mesquite-lump-does.html)

Janet Wilder[_1_] 29-05-2011 01:55 AM

Q: Mesquite Lump? Does it add mesquite flavor?

I am going to have to buy some more lump pretty soon. I have a butt in
the freezer that needs smoking.

I have about 1/2 a bag of Royal Oak lump and was probably going to get
more, but I have seen some great prices on mesquite lump charcoal.

I use hickory chunks as I prefer hickory to mesquite so I was wondering
if using mesquite lump was going to interfere with the hickory flavor.

Any thoughts?
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Janet Wilder[_1_] 29-05-2011 04:37 AM

On 5/28/2011 10:31 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 28 May 2011 19:55:30 -0500, Janet Wilder wrote:
>
>> I use hickory chunks as I prefer hickory to mesquite so I was wondering
>> if using mesquite lump was going to interfere with the hickory flavor.

> Generally, no. There are a few brands that may add some slight
> flavor, but none of the brands you'd buy at HEB. I usually buy the
> "Arriba"? brand at HEB for $2.99 6.6lbs (cowboy with a lasso on brown
> bag). One store even had 25lb bags of it for under $10 but that was
> way up north of me, and 25lbs don't work well on the bus.
>
> Consider pecan chunks for your next baga chunks. It's a slightly
> milder pecan with less chance of bitterness. I like lots of smoke and
> tend to over do it with hickory.
>
> Even the mesquite lump that does have a little bit of flavor left in
> it will not be objectionable if you don't like mesquite or mixed with
> other wood.

Thanks, Steve. The bag you described at HEB is the one I saw.

I guess once it turns into charcoal, there isn't much if any flavoring
left in the wood.

I have not seen pecan chunks. I'll have to look for them. I have had
pretty good success with the hickory chunks in foil.

Brick[_5_] 29-05-2011 05:27 PM

On 28-May-2011, Janet Wilder > wrote:

> I am going to have to buy some more lump pretty soon. I have a butt in
> the freezer that needs smoking.
>
> I have about 1/2 a bag of Royal Oak lump and was probably going to get
> more, but I have seen some great prices on mesquite lump charcoal.
>
> I use hickory chunks as I prefer hickory to mesquite so I was wondering
> if using mesquite lump was going to interfere with the hickory flavor.
>
> Any thoughts?
> --
> Janet Wilder

No. Assuming it is good lump with little or no unburned pieces in the
bag. Feel free to check the facts at http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm.
The Naked Whiz has done for lump what Consumer Reports has done
for most everything else.

--
Brick(Too soon old and too late smart)

Janet Wilder[_1_] 29-05-2011 08:44 PM

On 5/29/2011 11:27 AM, Brick wrote:
> On 28-May-2011, Janet > wrote:
>
>> I am going to have to buy some more lump pretty soon. I have a butt in
>> the freezer that needs smoking.
>>
>> I have about 1/2 a bag of Royal Oak lump and was probably going to get
>> more, but I have seen some great prices on mesquite lump charcoal.
>>
>> I use hickory chunks as I prefer hickory to mesquite so I was wondering
>> if using mesquite lump was going to interfere with the hickory flavor.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>> --
>> Janet Wilder

> No. Assuming it is good lump with little or no unburned pieces in the
> bag. Feel free to check the facts at http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm.
> The Naked Whiz has done for lump what Consumer Reports has done
> for most everything else.

The brand I was looking at isn't there. It's probably a local brand.

bbq 30-05-2011 12:49 AM

On 5/29/2011 8:30 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 28 May 2011 22:37:09 -0500, Janet Wilder wrote:
>
>> I have not seen pecan chunks. I'll have to look for them. I have had
>> pretty good success with the hickory chunks in foil.

> I'm looking for a new wood this summer. I think I'm going to use oak.
> I'm tired of the same old hickory and pecan. But I can't find any oak
> at all. BBQ galore will be my last try.
>
> -sw

I got plenty of apple wood. I'll send you a few chunks if you want.
Apple is very good for chickens and turkey.

BBQ
--
Vegetarian

An old Indian term for poor hunter...

L G[_34_] 30-05-2011 02:48 AM

Brick wrote:
> On 28-May-2011, Janet > wrote:
>

>> I am going to have to buy some more lump pretty soon. I have a butt in
>> the freezer that needs smoking.
>>
>> I have about 1/2 a bag of Royal Oak lump and was probably going to get
>> more, but I have seen some great prices on mesquite lump charcoal.
>>
>> I use hickory chunks as I prefer hickory to mesquite so I was wondering
>> if using mesquite lump was going to interfere with the hickory flavor.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>> --
>> Janet Wilder
>>

> No. Assuming it is good lump with little or no unburned pieces in the
> bag. Feel free to check the facts at http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm.
> The Naked Whiz has done for lump what Consumer Reports has done
> for most everything else.

I have 2-1/2 bags of this left and it has been outstanding charcoal...

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag54.htm

I used to buy this but they don't sell it here anymore...

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag3.htm

Janet Wilder[_1_] 30-05-2011 04:18 AM

On 5/29/2011 6:49 PM, bbq wrote:
> On 5/29/2011 8:30 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Sat, 28 May 2011 22:37:09 -0500, Janet Wilder wrote:
>>
>>> I have not seen pecan chunks. I'll have to look for them. I have had
>>> pretty good success with the hickory chunks in foil.

>> I'm looking for a new wood this summer. I think I'm going to use oak.
>> I'm tired of the same old hickory and pecan. But I can't find any oak
>> at all. BBQ galore will be my last try.
>>
>> -sw

> I got plenty of apple wood. I'll send you a few chunks if you want.
> Apple is very good for chickens and turkey.
>
> BBQ

Sure! I do beer can chicken offset on the gas grill. I've used chunks
to add smoke before. Apple sounds lovely. This email address works, so
if you really want to send the chunks, email me for the address

Thank you so much for your kind offer.

Charly Horse 03-06-2011 06:28 AM

Q: Mesquite Lump? Does it add mesquite flavor?

Janet Wilder > wrote in news:4de30c99$0$1497$c3e8da3
:

> On 5/29/2011 6:49 PM, bbq wrote:

>>> I'm looking for a new wood this summer. I think I'm going to use oak.
>>> I'm tired of the same old hickory and pecan. But I can't find any oak
>>> at all. BBQ galore will be my last try.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> I got plenty of apple wood. I'll send you a few chunks if you want.
>> Apple is very good for chickens and turkey.
>>
>> BBQ

> Sure! I do beer can chicken offset on the gas grill. I've used chunks
> to add smoke before. Apple sounds lovely. This email address works, so
> if you really want to send the chunks, email me for the address
>

> Thank you so much for your kind offer.

umm I realize you don't use a WSM but could you outline your
technique? Thinking of doing a couple

Denny Wheeler[_3_] 16-06-2011 01:40 AM

Q: Mesquite Lump? Does it add mesquite flavor?

On Sun, 29 May 2011 08:30:12 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>I'm looking for a new wood this summer. I think I'm going to use oak.
>I'm tired of the same old hickory and pecan. But I can't find any oak
>at all. BBQ galore will be my last try.

There gotta be oak trees in your area; either deadfalls or prunings
should be fairly simple to get.

Ed Pawlowski[_2_] 16-06-2011 02:40 AM

"Denny Wheeler" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 29 May 2011 08:30:12 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>

>>I'm looking for a new wood this summer. I think I'm going to use oak.
>>I'm tired of the same old hickory and pecan. But I can't find any oak
>>at all. BBQ galore will be my last try.

> There gotta be oak trees in your area; either deadfalls or prunings
> should be fairly simple to get.

Good sources for smoking wood is the tree trimmers working on utility lines.
If you happen to have a cold six pack of Pepsi in the car, they just may
stop and talk to you for a minute. Fruit orchard trim trees every year,
even a couple of pieces from the neighbor's firewood pile will work.