Posted to alt.food.barbecue,rec.food.cooking

Default Salt Stuff

On 4/19/2011 6:46 PM, Chemo the Clown wrote:
> On Apr 19, 4:41 pm, Mark > wrote:
>> Chemo the Clown wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe so but Morton salt is terrible.

>> Nearly all salts are purified sodium chloride.
>> Like distilled water or white sugar, it doesn't
>> matter which one you choose, except for price.
>>
>> A few salts have various mineral contaminants,
>> which can give them an off flavor, but not the
>> big names like Morton or Leslie.

> Give me sea salt anytime.
> http://www.livestrong.com/article/35...to-table-salt/

Morton sells sea salt. Even iodized sea salt.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,rec.food.cooking

On Apr 22, 11:23*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 22:02:16 -0400, Cheryl wrote:

> >> Give me sea salt anytime.
> >>http://www.livestrong.com/article/35...arison-of-sea-....

> > Morton sells sea salt. Even iodized sea salt.

> Manufacturers are not required to label how well refined their sea
> salts really are. *Some of them are the exact same thing as table salt
> minus the iodine (and drying agents). *It just costs $8-$50/lb more
> than table salt.
>
> The ones that aren't refined very well have all sorts of other trace
> minerals and elements that you don't want in your salt. *Let alone
> your body. *Harvesting salts out of any ocean or sea these days is
> pretty risky business, IMO.

I trust the Mayo Clinic's web site for medical and general health
information. They may not be right about everything, but unlike sites
like WebMD, they have no ax to grind. Here's their take:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sea-salt/AN01142. Here's my summary:
If you prefer the flavor and don't mind paying for it, go for it. If
you think it's worth a premium for health reasons, you've been misled.

Jerry
Posted to alt.food.barbecue,rec.food.cooking

On 4/22/2011 11:23 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 22:02:16 -0400, Cheryl wrote:

>>> Give me sea salt anytime.
>>> http://www.livestrong.com/article/35...to-table-salt/

>> Morton sells sea salt. Even iodized sea salt.

> Manufacturers are not required to label how well refined their sea
> salts really are. Some of them are the exact same thing as table salt
> minus the iodine (and drying agents). It just costs $8-$50/lb more
> than table salt.
>
> The ones that aren't refined very well have all sorts of other trace
> minerals and elements that you don't want in your salt. Let alone
> your body. Harvesting salts out of any ocean or sea these days is
> pretty risky business, IMO.
>
> -sw

I have to limit it these days. Though I just checked my BP and it's
coming down.

Salt Stuff Mark Thorson Barbecue 14 30-04-2011 01:11 AM
Salt Stuff David Harmon[_2_] Barbecue 7 25-04-2011 07:36 PM
Salt Stuff Bryan[_6_] Barbecue 1 25-04-2011 02:36 AM
Salt Stuff Mr. Bill[_2_] General Cooking 0 23-04-2011 03:55 PM
Salt Stuff David Harmon[_2_] Barbecue 0 22-04-2011 02:43 AM