Posted to alt.food.barbecue,rec.food.cooking

Default Brining question

"Sqwertz" > wrote in
> It's a dry rub. And there are plenty of reasons to use #1 in a brine.
> How do you think corned beef, bacon, or canadian bacon is made? (They
> can be dry rubbed but are usually brined).
>
> There seems to be an awful lot of confusion regarding brines with
> curing salt in them.
>
> -sw

There are brines to make meat (especially poultry, pork chops) more juicy
and there are brines for cures. Most every time, when people here refer to
a brine, they are talking the first type.

Any saline solution is a brine. Dill pickle anyone?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message

> Except when they mention specific _curing salts_ (other than sodium
> chloride) in the brine... Kind of a dead giveaway if you ask me.
>
> -sw

I don't recall asking you though

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 19:00:20 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>>

>>> Except when they mention specific _curing salts_ (other than sodium
>>> chloride) in the brine... Kind of a dead giveaway if you ask me.

>> I don't recall asking you though.

> Awww, Eddie. Don't pout because you're not man enough to admit you
> ****ed up, and then tried to lie about it.
>
> Here, have a LifeSaver. And some lube for it.
>
> -sw

It is you that is confused. He was talking about bbq, not curing. I stand
by my statements

Do you see any reference to curing below?

Marty said:
"So far the quick brine is working out well. We (barbecue team) are trying
get more flavor in the pork but not necessarily an injection. We're looking
to get more flavor in that first inch or so under the bark.

Right now it's working well to make a very salty brine (much saltier than
the one Steve described upthread due to short time available for brining)
and jacquard the pork before it goes in the brine. I'm just looking for
alternatives, testing as many as possible. But I think from reading this
thread that I'm barking up the wrong salt lick with TQ."

Posted to alt.food.barbecue,rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote
> But my most recent response above was in reference to your off-topic
> "Gas Prices in Italy" thread you started. Where I pointed you to a
> web source and you claimed it was 6 months old information, when in
> fact it was only 10 days old and has been updated weekly (although 3
> days later) for the last 5.5 years.

When I first opened the spreadsheet this morning it only displayed a
portion, outdated. After your comment, I went back and found it did have
newer information on it.

Two Google searches found a lot of meaningless information, some as far back
as 2004, thus the question in my original post.

Brining Question Chuck Kopsho General Cooking 3 26-06-2006 06:12 AM
Brining Question stark General Cooking 7 23-06-2004 06:53 PM
Brining question Henry D Barbecue 4 08-06-2004 01:38 AM
yet another brining question elaine General Cooking 2 23-12-2003 04:48 PM
Another brining question Kent H. Barbecue 4 25-11-2003 04:55 PM