Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Ham - 1st smoke of the season

I've got the Weber Smokey Mountain bullet smoker firing up. It's 63F out and
slightly cloudy with no rain in sight.

I'm going to smoke a Safeway "Ready to Cook" shank half ham. It'll go on the
smoker when the temp. reads 225-250F. I'm smoking over warm water, to
control the temp, but also to create a moist environment. I don't want the
ham to dry out. I've got chunks of hickory imbedded in the charcoal. I'm
using the Minion method to fire up the charcoal.

The plan is to smoke for as long as one hour per pound, or until the
internal temp. reaches 155F, as discussed in a forum on the Virtual Weber
Bulletin Board. I'm suspecting it's not going to take that long.
http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums

Usually it's recommended that uncooked, or "ready to cook" ham be cooked at
325-350F in a dry environment as quickly as it takes to get the internal
temp. to 155F. I'm going low and slow.

We'll see how it goes. I've got ham stock from the last ham to make a
glorious ham sauce.

Kent

Why can't I get any smoke? Mitch@... General Cooking 12 30-08-2007 02:36 PM
What do you smoke? Kent Barbecue 19 08-07-2006 02:18 PM
Dalmatian tourist season late, growing season full-on johnjgoddard.com General Cooking 3 07-07-2006 06:23 PM
What to smoke for the first try Dirty Harry Barbecue 69 29-05-2004 04:33 PM
Smoke with Elm? Johnny Barbecue 6 25-12-2003 12:02 AM